Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

how to convince the other half?

how to convince the other half?

Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:38 pm
  #31  
Forum Regular
 
The Jezzers's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Mt. Maunganui. Tauranga. NZ
Posts: 108
The Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to all
Default Re: how to convince the other half?

HI Big Nelly , The whole trip with flights for 6 for 3 weeks cost us around 5000.This was the total including spending money.The flight was Virgin to Shanghi then Air newzealand to Auckland. The van was top range from Wendekreisen Travel Ltd. It had everything you needed and the people were great they picked us up from the airport and took us back at the end. We found that staying at Caravan club sites the cheapest. You can stay with them if you are from the UK on holiday You didn't have to be members. They have sites everywhere and they are very good. I hope you can to New zealand it is fantastic. We are going to live in the Bay of Plenty , fingers crossed.
The Jezzers is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:52 pm
  #32  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere deep in dark West Yorkshire
Posts: 75
big nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nice
Default Re: how to convince the other half?

Originally Posted by The Jezzers View Post
HI Big Nelly , The whole trip with flights for 6 for 3 weeks cost us around 5000.This was the total including spending money.The flight was Virgin to Shanghi then Air newzealand to Auckland. The van was top range from Wendekreisen Travel Ltd. It had everything you needed and the people were great they picked us up from the airport and took us back at the end. We found that staying at Caravan club sites the cheapest. You can stay with them if you are from the UK on holiday You didn't have to be members. They have sites everywhere and they are very good. I hope you can to New zealand it is fantastic. We are going to live in the Bay of Plenty , fingers crossed.
Hi Jezzers,

that sounds perfect.... it's only a holiday for 3, so hopefully won't be too expensive for us. trying to get ideas regarding flights from manchester/heathrow and work out the cheapest way to get there, but i really fancy the campervan, how did you manage to get about when you park up at the sites?

Are you both going to be working there too? If so, doing what? sorry for so many questions, trying not to be too nosy but i've been trying for sometime to get my OH interested in going...
big nelly is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:33 pm
  #33  
Forum Regular
 
The Jezzers's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Mt. Maunganui. Tauranga. NZ
Posts: 108
The Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to all
Default Re: how to convince the other half?

Hi Big Nelly,
When we parked up we caught the local bus into Wellington and Auckland otherwise the roads are so wide and very empty you can drive into towns and park up just like a car but bigger really very easy to drive. Parking was never a problem. Plus we just drove into the sites and they always had plenty of room even when you turn up late at night.But we did go at the end of the season begining of May. The weather was fantastic we even went swimming in the pools at the sites. A very helpful book is Camping New Zealand by Hema Maps from Amazon also the AA guide to accomodation you can pick this up free from the Airport in Auckland or any tourist spot during your travels I got mine from Kiwi 360 in the Bay, this is a big Kiwi fruit farm.FABYou can pick up lots of free imfo at the campsites too.
My husband works in IT. I look after the kids. We have 6 kids in total two older ones aged 21 and 23. They didn't go on holiday but they are going to New Zealand with us as dependents because they are under 24 and still at home. good luck
The Jezzers is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:04 pm
  #34  
Forum Regular
 
nic.gem.soph's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Bristol
Posts: 112
nic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to all
Default Re: how to convince the other half?

Originally Posted by big nelly View Post
Nic,

Perfect idea, we both love Billy, in fact we watched part of his world tour of NZ on tv last week, he was in Rotorua... hilairious...
Are you planning a move or are you there already?
We're trying to move out..... as others are finding, NZQA is a nightmare and have huge backlog, everything is on hold as OH needs to be in NZ before anyone will give him a job! Normal catch 22.
We went for a 2 and half week reccie in june/july in a campervan, loved it, all that freedom to go where we wanted. We actually only stayed on a campsite once the whole 16 days, as van's internal battery needed charging. Just pulled into a layby at night and stayed there, in the middle of nowhere, quite often right next to the sea, what a view to wake up to... stayed somewhere different every night and had no problem but it was their winter.


nic
nic.gem.soph is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:33 pm
  #35  
BE Forum Addict
 
Margaret Parkinson's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Tyldesley Manchester UK
Posts: 1,095
Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how to convince the other half?

Originally Posted by big nelly View Post
June,

You sound like a fantastic grandparent! My mum and stepdad would love to visit if i can ever persuade my family to move, but my OH's family might be a little more tricky, as the furthest they've even flown is Majorca!! And as my father in law likes to remind us, "there is nothing better than our green and furtile land"!
How do you like NZ? Are you now a seasoned traveller in NZ?

Thanks again,

Helen
Hi Helen

I think we are now well & truly seasoned. We used to go to Florida & California for our holidays but when my husband turned 70 in 2004 he said he did not want to do long haul again so I said Ok that's no problem we will go on a cruise instead. So then what happens, Gail & co decide to go to the other side of the world so it now a longer haul. How many times we will be able to go I do not know that is why we are going as much as we can now.

June
Margaret Parkinson is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:52 pm
  #36  
By name and by nature
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,852
Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how to convince the other half?

Hi Big Nelly (I love that username ). I used to think that moving to another part of the UK or even to Ireland would be the way for someone to go who wasn't too sure about such a big move. Having just come back from Ireland I'm not so convinced of that now. When people move away and haven't been back for long periods of time where they've left seems to take on a rosy hue - those rose coloured specs in reverse - but I know now that even in lovely country areas crime is on the increase. It'll probably go the same way here if something's not done about it but for now it's not so bad. The children over there are very adult in comparison to here. My hubby's niece here is coming up 13 and she's still a baby really - my six year old nephew on the other hand is like a small man

You have to both be on the same page though for such a huge move to work. Moving anywhere is so stressful and when it's to the other side of the World...... But, if you can get him to come for a holiday at least you'll know he's given it a shot and if he still doesn't want to then it'll be back to the drawing board - good luck.
Batty is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:10 am
  #37  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere deep in dark West Yorkshire
Posts: 75
big nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nice
Default Re: how to convince the other half?

Originally Posted by Batty View Post
Hi Big Nelly (I love that username ). I used to think that moving to another part of the UK or even to Ireland would be the way for someone to go who wasn't too sure about such a big move. Having just come back from Ireland I'm not so convinced of that now. When people move away and haven't been back for long periods of time where they've left seems to take on a rosy hue - those rose coloured specs in reverse - but I know now that even in lovely country areas crime is on the increase. It'll probably go the same way here if something's not done about it but for now it's not so bad. The children over there are very adult in comparison to here. My hubby's niece here is coming up 13 and she's still a baby really - my six year old nephew on the other hand is like a small man

You have to both be on the same page though for such a huge move to work. Moving anywhere is so stressful and when it's to the other side of the World...... But, if you can get him to come for a holiday at least you'll know he's given it a shot and if he still doesn't want to then it'll be back to the drawing board - good luck.
Hey Batty,

i know what you mean, i lived in Edinburgh till 91 then moved to Yorkshire, where i live in a small market town, it did take some getting used too, but i like the fact you know a lot of people when you wandering around. I don't just want to move because i'm unhappy with the weather, I hope (having read other blogs) that the lifestyle is a lot better, as is the work, life balance.
I also think that NZ seems to be a happier country with a lower crime rate and that can only be a good thing
Trying to persuade a small town boy (who feels that having served a long time ago with the Royal Military Police , that that was living abroad) would be a great thing for the 3 of us is hard work! But, like most women, i can be persuasive (ie.... I'll keep on till he surrenders!!!)
big nelly is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:11 am
  #38  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere deep in dark West Yorkshire
Posts: 75
big nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nice
Default Re: how to convince the other half?

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson View Post
Hi Helen

I think we are now well & truly seasoned. We used to go to Florida & California for our holidays but when my husband turned 70 in 2004 he said he did not want to do long haul again so I said Ok that's no problem we will go on a cruise instead. So then what happens, Gail & co decide to go to the other side of the world so it now a longer haul. How many times we will be able to go I do not know that is why we are going as much as we can now.

June
Hi June,

All i can say is who needs the inheritance... Get it spent on visiting and enjoy it all too! What a great set of parents you are!
big nelly is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:13 am
  #39  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere deep in dark West Yorkshire
Posts: 75
big nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nice
Default Re: how to convince the other half?

Originally Posted by nic.gem.soph View Post
We're trying to move out..... as others are finding, NZQA is a nightmare and have huge backlog, everything is on hold as OH needs to be in NZ before anyone will give him a job! Normal catch 22.
We went for a 2 and half week reccie in june/july in a campervan, loved it, all that freedom to go where we wanted. We actually only stayed on a campsite once the whole 16 days, as van's internal battery needed charging. Just pulled into a layby at night and stayed there, in the middle of nowhere, quite often right next to the sea, what a view to wake up to... stayed somewhere different every night and had no problem but it was their winter.


nic
Hi Nic,

did you take your kids with you in the campervan? Not sure that i could cope being in such close proximity for 3 weeks!! I'm thinking of maybe going in our summer holidays, i realise that it's winter in NZ but maybe it won't be too bad and if i see it at it's worst it can only be a good thing?
big nelly is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:16 am
  #40  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere deep in dark West Yorkshire
Posts: 75
big nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nice
Default Re: how to convince the other half?

Originally Posted by The Jezzers View Post
Hi Big Nelly,
When we parked up we caught the local bus into Wellington and Auckland otherwise the roads are so wide and very empty you can drive into towns and park up just like a car but bigger really very easy to drive. Parking was never a problem. Plus we just drove into the sites and they always had plenty of room even when you turn up late at night.But we did go at the end of the season begining of May. The weather was fantastic we even went swimming in the pools at the sites. A very helpful book is Camping New Zealand by Hema Maps from Amazon also the AA guide to accomodation you can pick this up free from the Airport in Auckland or any tourist spot during your travels I got mine from Kiwi 360 in the Bay, this is a big Kiwi fruit farm.FABYou can pick up lots of free imfo at the campsites too.
My husband works in IT. I look after the kids. We have 6 kids in total two older ones aged 21 and 23. They didn't go on holiday but they are going to New Zealand with us as dependents because they are under 24 and still at home. good luck
Hey Jezzers!

I love the sound of the campervan, but did you find it cramped? I'm going to try and get the books you suggested, and leave them strategically placed around the house, with flight details.... one way or another we have to go even if it ends up only being for a holiday!

Do you know which part you want to move too?

thanks for the tips,

H.
big nelly is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2008, 1:30 pm
  #41  
Forum Regular
 
The Jezzers's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Mt. Maunganui. Tauranga. NZ
Posts: 108
The Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to all
Talking Re: how to convince the other half?

Hi Big Nelly,
While we were in NZ in a campervan the sun shone most days and the sites always had a picnic table right next to our van , plus we also had a table and chairs that we took around but I found we hardly used those. Just the chairs. Even with 6 people, I found we really managed well in one room I think this helped our family get on better. The kids always played outside on the playground and in the pool. You can alway ask to be placed near the playground or pool or beach on the site,the people are so helpful.
We are going to Tauranga in the Bay of Plenty, North Island. We also loved Napier in Hawks Bay. We spent the 3 weeks just in the North Island because this gave us plenty of time to look around stopping for a couple of days in various places. We went everywhere from 90 mile beach in the Bay of Islands to Wellington. You will love it.
regards Diane[The Jezzers.]
The Jezzers is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2008, 1:48 pm
  #42  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere deep in dark West Yorkshire
Posts: 75
big nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nice
Default Re: how to convince the other half?

Originally Posted by The Jezzers View Post
Hi Big Nelly,
While we were in NZ in a campervan the sun shone most days and the sites always had a picnic table right next to our van , plus we also had a table and chairs that we took around but I found we hardly used those. Just the chairs. Even with 6 people, I found we really managed well in one room I think this helped our family get on better. The kids always played outside on the playground and in the pool. You can alway ask to be placed near the playground or pool or beach on the site,the people are so helpful.
We are going to Tauranga in the Bay of Plenty, North Island. We also loved Napier in Hawks Bay. We spent the 3 weeks just in the North Island because this gave us plenty of time to look around stopping for a couple of days in various places. We went everywhere from 90 mile beach in the Bay of Islands to Wellington. You will love it.
regards Diane[The Jezzers.]
Hi Diane,

It sounds great. We normally spend our holidays sharing one room as there is only 3 of us, and sometimes it does get a little heated as we're all quite stubborn and like to have the last word!
I think my son would love being in a campervan, and the fact that most places seem to have great sites would make it more fun when you park up. My only concern regarding him would be that he's on his own, with 2 adults and i would hate for him to be bored, he's a sporty 13 year old who thinks he's 19!! So 3 weeks would be great, now all i have to do is, persuade my OH, find some money for the 3 weeks and book some flights! I've been reading about it for so long, just want to convince Mark that it's a good choice for a holiday/reccie!

fingers crossed...

Are you going to be working there too? Or have you got your hands full looking after your family?

Thanks for all the info your sharing, it's a great help!

Helen.
big nelly is offline  
Old Sep 9th 2008, 6:18 pm
  #43  
Forum Regular
 
nic.gem.soph's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Bristol
Posts: 112
nic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to all
Default Re: how to convince the other half?

Originally Posted by big nelly View Post
Hi Nic,

did you take your kids with you in the campervan? Not sure that i could cope being in such close proximity for 3 weeks!! I'm thinking of maybe going in our summer holidays, i realise that it's winter in NZ but maybe it won't be too bad and if i see it at it's worst it can only be a good thing?
yes we took our girls, got no-one to leave them with ! A six berth for the 4 of us left enough breathing space, but they were very good. Thats why we went in winter, cheaper and if you love it in the winter then it'll only get better in the summer...
nic.gem.soph is offline  
Old Sep 10th 2008, 2:00 pm
  #44  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere deep in dark West Yorkshire
Posts: 75
big nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nice
Default Re: how to convince the other half?

Originally Posted by nic.gem.soph View Post
yes we took our girls, got no-one to leave them with ! A six berth for the 4 of us left enough breathing space, but they were very good. Thats why we went in winter, cheaper and if you love it in the winter then it'll only get better in the summer...
did you find winter cold and wet? i don't know if i would want it to be as miserable as it's been over here, but the idea of saving a bit of cash is very appealling. how old are your kids? Mine is 13 (and hormonal) so i think i may need to do some real planning, otherwise he may get fed up being sat in a campervan driving around but then again, he could well suprise me!!! after all he is a teenager.
big nelly is offline  
Old Sep 10th 2008, 2:22 pm
  #45  
Forum Regular
 
nic.gem.soph's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Bristol
Posts: 112
nic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to all
Default Re: how to convince the other half?

Originally Posted by big nelly View Post
did you find winter cold and wet? i don't know if i would want it to be as miserable as it's been over here, but the idea of saving a bit of cash is very appealling. how old are your kids? Mine is 13 (and hormonal) so i think i may need to do some real planning, otherwise he may get fed up being sat in a campervan driving around but then again, he could well suprise me!!! after all he is a teenager.
the picture is a little old now, my baby has just turned one! Older one is 3 and half.... Younger than yours I know but they loved looking out at the scenery and didn't moan once. OH had a bit of a moan about the driving he did but hey, he didn't want me driving, so tough!
The only time it rained was at night, which in a campervan was noisy but I still slept through - all the fresh air! It was a bit cold but we thought warmer than over here in our summer on occasion. South Island was much colder and we huddled a lot for warmth under the duvet there, but still really enjoyed. As I can't imagine having a teenage boy, can't help with that but there are so many places to stop and run around. I'm sure others on here could give you some places to visit with him....

nic
nic.gem.soph is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.