Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

how to convince the other half?

how to convince the other half?

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

big nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nice
Default Re: how to convince the other half?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
We came April/May so Autumn here and I found we'd packed too many clothes for chillier weather so we had to buy shorts and t-shirts when we got here! Plus we took the kids out of school as soooo much cheaper to travel. The eldest's Headmaster refused us permission, so we wrote to him and told him why we were coming and he gave us his blessing then!!

You'd probably have to decide on areas yourself - we haven't done the South Island at all, we didn't have time to do Wellington or any of the West coast. We loved everywhere we visited and all you hear of my dulcet tones on the DVD's are "Oooo, I could live here ... "

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/index.jsp

http://www.campervan.co.nz

Plus I found the Lonely Planet guidebook and also the AA guide to NZ valuable. Perhaps you could look at getting along to one of the Expo's in Leeds or London next month with your Hubby and son, probably be quite valuable.
I have thought about the expo's.... just persuading him who must be obeyed to have an open mind towards that!! typical man, if i can let him think its his idea, then i'll be on a winner!!
Thanks for those websites i'll have a look at them after lunch. I do have a couple of books on NZ and a travel guide.... but you can never have enough, and knowledge is power!
I am a little worried about taking Luke out of school as he's 13 and just starting year 9 now, so by the time we want to come could be tricky for him unless we come in the school summer holidays?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:36 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Does your Hubby read? I found "A New Life In New Zealand" by Paul Goddard and also "A Land of Two Halves" by Joe Bennett really fun reading about the country - both pretty light!

Good Luck!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big nelly
I am kind of looking at coming next summer, it gives us time to save enough cash to enjoy the holiday.... although i am now debating whether to come in the winter time then i suppose you get an idea of just how bad a place can be when it's grey and miserable.... torn again!

I've heard good reports about Singapore Airlines, so i think that will be my next port of call, work out the cost for the 3 of us then the camper van, the other 2 will love that!

I haven't really made a game plan about where to visit yet, so any reccommendations are welcome, especially for an outdoor man and son! both of who are football mad along with most other sports.

Have all your kids settled into the NZ way of life and do they miss anything in particular about their old life in the UK?
My grandson was 14 when they went in 2006 and he took to it like a duck to water. I can recommend Singapore Airlines and the stopover at Changi airport is well worth the cost of the flight. We had a 14 hr wait between flights and used the Ambassador Transit Hotel. There are free trips into Singapore as well. It is absolutely awesome. Here are some photos:-
Attached Thumbnails how to convince the other half?-singapore.jpg   how to convince the other half?-singapore-1.jpg   how to convince the other half?-singapore-2.jpg   how to convince the other half?-singapore-3.jpg   how to convince the other half?-singapore-4.jpg  

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

big nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nicebig nelly is just really nice

Does your Hubby read? I found "A New Life In New Zealand" by Paul Goddard and also "A Land of Two Halves" by Joe Bennett really fun reading about the country - both pretty light!

Good Luck!
A little, but it tends to be me that does the reading.... i have read emigrating to NZ by Steve something, which is brilliant. think i may try him on a travel guide or 2!

thanks for all your help, really useful info....
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
My grandson was 14 when they went in 2006 and he took to it like a duck to water. I can recommend Singapore Airlines and the stopover at Changi airport is well worth the cost of the flight. We had a 14 hr wait between flights and used the Ambassador Transit Hotel. There are free trips into Singapore as well. It is absolutely awesome. Here are some photos:-
Margaret,

thanks for that, the photos are great! have you been to visit them since they've gone?
that's probably my husbands biggest fear... loosing touch with family and our son not seeing his grandparents.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 11:25 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh family will come ...

Often uninvited ...

And stay for very long periods of time ...

Definitely try and get your hands on the Joe Bennett book - story of a Kiwi teacher who decides to spend a year back-packing around all of NZ!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Oh family will come ...

Often uninvited ...

And stay for very long periods of time ...

Definitely try and get your hands on the Joe Bennett book - story of a Kiwi teacher who decides to spend a year back-packing around all of NZ!
Not so sure i like the idea of impending family... i would imagine that my small family and friends may dramatically increase with size if we ever move! it's bad enough that we all live in the same town now!!!
Oh lord what would i be letting myself in for!

I'll get that book, another to add to my growing collection! thanks.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I am a little worried about taking Luke out of school as he's 13 and just starting year 9 now, so by the time we want to come could be tricky for him unless we come in the school summer holidays?
The school year here is different..it runs from February to December.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by luvwelly
The school year here is different..it runs from February to December.
what age do you finish secondary education? trying to work out if he'd miss out on anything in particular? he has to choose the subjects for his GCSE's this Christmas.... oh my god i feel old!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Margaret,

thanks for that, the photos are great! have you been to visit them since they've gone?
that's probably my husbands biggest fear... loosing touch with family and our son not seeing his grandparents.
They went August 2006 we flew 31st December for 4 weeks. Went again in Feb for another month and we are going again flying 22nd December for 6 weeks. We are spending their inheritance after all it was their idea to move to the other side of the world. My husband says if we were younger we would be there as well but we are both in our seventies so I do not think it would be possible. As for not seeing one another just get a webcam I will be like they are in the other room.

Bye the way I know my profile name is Margaret but I am known as June.

All the best

June
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

The Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to all

Hi, I took my family of 6 [2adults 4 kids] on a holiday last may in a motorhome around the north island. Everyone loved it so much we ar off to live the life in New zealand. We can't wait.Have just put in our application now we have to wait for the OK. You need to get him there.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

nic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to all

A little, but it tends to be me that does the reading.... i have read emigrating to NZ by Steve something, which is brilliant. think i may try him on a travel guide or 2!

thanks for all your help, really useful info....
If he is anything like my OH, get Billy Connollys's DVD, "Too Old to Die Young" world tour, he does a tour of New Zealand (covers 8 episodes), absolutely hilarious and he (OH) took so much more in than reading a book!

nic
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
They went August 2006 we flew 31st December for 4 weeks. Went again in Feb for another month and we are going again flying 22nd December for 6 weeks. We are spending their inheritance after all it was their idea to move to the other side of the world. My husband says if we were younger we would be there as well but we are both in our seventies so I do not think it would be possible. As for not seeing one another just get a webcam I will be like they are in the other room.

Bye the way I know my profile name is Margaret but I am known as June.

All the best

June
June,

You sound like a fantastic grandparent! My mum and stepdad would love to visit if i can ever persuade my family to move, but my OH's family might be a little more tricky, as the furthest they've even flown is Majorca!! And as my father in law likes to remind us, "there is nothing better than our green and furtile land"!
How do you like NZ? Are you now a seasoned traveller in NZ?

Thanks again,

Helen
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nic.gem.soph
If he is anything like my OH, get Billy Connollys's DVD, "Too Old to Die Young" world tour, he does a tour of New Zealand (covers 8 episodes), absolutely hilarious and he (OH) took so much more in than reading a book!

nic
Nic,

Perfect idea, we both love Billy, in fact we watched part of his world tour of NZ on tv last week, he was in Rotorua... hilairious...
Are you planning a move or are you there already?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Jezzers
Hi, I took my family of 6 [2adults 4 kids] on a holiday last may in a motorhome around the north island. Everyone loved it so much we ar off to live the life in New zealand. We can't wait.Have just put in our application now we have to wait for the OK. You need to get him there.
Hi Jezzers,

I really like the idea of a campervan holiday, did you find it expensive, as i'm married to a Yorkshire man and to say he's careful with money is an understatement! I know he'd love it if he were there as he loves the outdoors more than i do...
thanks for the advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.