Reload this Page >

How is the construction industry doing

How is the construction industry doing

Old Jan 18th 2009, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

fordhjn is on a distinguished road
Default How is the construction industry doing

hi i am just wondering how the building and construction trade is fairing
its grim here but there is some work about.
thinking of the bay or plenty area
thanks steve
Old Jan 18th 2009, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all
Default Re: How is the construction industry doing

Originally Posted by fordhjn
hi i am just wondering how the building and construction trade is fairing
its grim here but there is some work about.
thinking of the bay or plenty area
thanks steve
Sorry to say, bad and getting worse by all accounts.
See here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/4818476a13.html
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

nice looks like it might be out of the frying pan and into the fire for me
the missis and 4 kids want out of here me to lets hope it picks up soon
any more info about building game would be very helpfull thanks steve
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:43 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Slowing and slow is what I hear. Husband is a plumber and it has been far too quiet over this period. Far more quiet than this time last year.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 3:13 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

If you are into Civils there seems to be a fair bit of work out there at the moment, but house building is dead, I'm afraid to say.

Have you looked at www.seek.co.nz

I know that most of the 'big boys' have put vacancies on hold at the moment but there are still jobs being picked up around the country. Have you got a trade??
Old Jan 19th 2009, 3:27 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Depending where you look, here in Taupo we're either BoP or Waikato. I'm working as an ali joiner for a large firm, smaller ones are not busy, we are ticking over. We've got work from the big developers, but small and one man bands are going to the wall.
If you're trained on bigger jobs for roads and such, there's a couple of years work in Taupo with the new by-pass.

Best of luck mate.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Still work in the pipeline but I suspect a lot of developers will be putting stuff on hold for a while anyway, Welly still has a lot of government stuff ongoing and a few coming up, we havent really been hit by the worst of the crunch yet I don;t think and suspect it will be an interesting 6 months or so in NZ business, never mind just construction.

Auckland still has some major developments starting out (Mount Eden prison and Eden Park) and still lots of infrastructure stuff on the drawing board....
Old Jan 19th 2009, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

im a roofer by trade so work on both site and domestic ive seen adverts offering jobs but they arnt very informative about job security may be worth just phoneing them up even if its just for a chat not quite sure how they will take a cold call from uk though
steve
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

paul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant future

im going on the 28th this month, im a carpenter and ive got a job on the north, the firm im working for said hes busy?
Old Jan 20th 2009, 11:12 am
Just Joined

good luck with the move and i hope every thing gose well for you its good to no there is some work still going on.
just hope there are roofing jobs out there
thanks for the reply steve
Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

paul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant future

well ive got no work here now and the guy i served my time with hasent got anythink, i have worket for him for 12 years 8 years subbing. even he says his has never know it as bad as this in the uk!!! end of the day i lost my mum to cancer 4 years ago and im 29 now married with 2 kids (YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE) im taking a chance but stuff it!!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:07 am
Just Joined

i fully agree grab any chance of a better life mate
i said to my missis we have nothing to lose
ive got bits of work that cover our bills not much left to injoy life so might as well move to nz and be skint and happy (i hope) than skint and cold wet bored and p????d off with pulling my guts out to make ends meat
might as well sell up and start afresh in nz (just need to find that elusive job)
but my hopes remain high
the credit crunch wont last forever and the building game is first hit but the first to recover all the best to you and your family steve
Old Jan 21st 2009, 9:31 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Fletchers are a big company here and seem to still be hiring - quite a few Brits work for them.

I googled them and I think this is them?

http://www.fbcareers.com/default.asp?site_country=

HTH
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

thankyou for your time in finding this information out i shall look into it asap thanks steve
Old Jan 24th 2009, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Fletchers are a big company here and seem to still be hiring - quite a few Brits work for them.

I googled them and I think this is them?

http://www.fbcareers.com/default.asp?site_country=

HTH
Yup, and I'm one of em