How to change NZ?

Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:15 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to change NZ?

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
It's realism.

Obviously this money is popping out of mid air to put all these matters right
no that's down to treasury and the IRD......
as the kind lady from IRD I met today felt rather abashed about $800m.....or was it $600, I forget,,,,,, and they did too
Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Campbells
As I said

Please take note - The title of the thread is

HOW TO CHANGE NZ

Pointing fingers at what is or is not in UK is the reason you moved back to New Zealand

Face it head-on

With reagrds to your "cost" comments on why it can't be done

Look at it as an investment

Life-saving investment

Make the country a better place investment

Does that change the outlook or will you still say

"It can't be done"

Ted, who is the negative one here
Have to say that although I don't normally agree with some of what Campbells says, on this he's bang on. If you looked at the cost of clearing up the aftermath of accidents as well as ongoing costs of care etc, then these alone would pay for a lot of improvements, and this is one of the ways the UK moved forwards on road safety.

Not sure about the insurance part as insurances have certainly not gone down in the UK despite the improvements, but there's plenty of other ways to improve things it would seem.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:57 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbo25
......Campbells .....bang on. .........
Not sure about the insurance part as insurances have certainly not gone down in the UK despite the improvements, but there's plenty of other ways to improve things it would seem.
yep, but if you remember that a big chunk of the insurance costs to UK market in motor are down to personal injury claims for third party losses and given how those have spiraled in cost for insurers in the past 20 years then the cost of insurance in the UK is not as bad as it would first appear..........now we have a different system here so you might find that NZers would get some more improvement in that regard.

On that topic I have now met a few Kiwis who think the ACC system sucks........suprising really, unless of course you are the victim of some gross negligence and it leaves you or your family seriously debilitated OR if you used to practice as a personal injury lawyer.........
Old Mar 19th 2008, 6:52 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
On that topic I have now met a few Kiwis who think the ACC system sucks...
We were talking about this yesterday - seems also a bit screwy that you are covered for accidents but not ill health. Its usual for insurance to be used for the most random events first, not the ones perhaps with a degree of control. Perhaps it made sense when the health system was fully public funded, but not now with mixed public/private care.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 7:34 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I've long ago stopped feeling sorry for anyone who kills themselves because of either speeding or being drunk. I don't know whether this is correct or not but I've heard that in the US anyone who is DUI and kills someone is charged with 'Reckless Manslaughter' and gets six years in jail - sounds good to me We could start there.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 7:41 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Batty
I've long ago stopped feeling sorry for anyone who kills themselves because of either speeding or being drunk. I don't know whether this is correct or not but I've heard that in the US anyone who is DUI and kills someone is charged with 'Reckless Manslaughter' and gets six years in jail - sounds good to me We could start there.
Yes, but

It is when the drunk driver or speedster kills innocent people

The recent death of the youngsters on the north shore, notice that the cops say there was another car involved and possibly a street race

It is also important that a sentence is JAIL no house arrest , staying at home eating McDonalds and playing Grand Theft Auto
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:31 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

It is when the drunk driver or speedster kills innocent people most definitely

The recent death of the youngsters on the north shore, notice that the cops say there was another car involved and possibly a street race and we had passed through Birkenhead on our way to Glenfield not long before - you can't have a race without at least two competitors

It is also important that a sentence is JAIL no house arrest , staying at home eating McDonalds and playing Grand Theft Give me strength :curse:
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:59 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Campbells - thats a nice, well thought out answer to a problem that I know you feel strongly about. [and incredibly good formatting too - A+ for presentation]

In the spirit of discussing the practicalities of your proposals I have added my observations and some questions (because I don't think I know all the answers) below
Problem:
How to get the youth that are being allowed to kill themselves on the roads here – STOPPED.

Solution options:
• Get people to recognise there is a problem that needs attention – and fast. Can't disagree with that - maybe more gruesome tv ads targeted at youth should be used. As an aside, do you think Top Gear and other programmes that set a poor example should be banned?

• Compulsory insurance that is rated according to the drivers’ age, road skills and the power of their vehicle. After market modifications to the vehicle require an additional insurance inspection, compliance and will equate to higher rates. Why not just compulsory insurance - it seems fairer and simpler. Let the insurance companies sort out the premium rates

• Stricter policing, that is anything that is better than the current invisible police force we have. Agreed - I think the cops do a good job on the whole, except they seem to be invisible on the road, and never pull anyone over except for speeding. I must admit I can't comment what policing they do of hoons - I tend not to be on the same roads as hoons. [Bit of history here - NZ used to have separate traffic versus normal cops - bit like Italy. I think when they merged the two the traffic division became much less effective

• Raise the driving age limit. It might help, it might not. Lack of public transport will be the issue faced here. Based on the way the wind is blowing, this is most likely of your solutions to be implemented first

• Jail term sentencing for alcohol & driving related prosecutions. No more pizza & cotton wool. I thought they had that anyway - how does NZ compare with overseas? And how related are the drink driving and hoon problems

• Speed bumps in all residential areas that are known to have hoon problems. Probably can be done now by local councils?? Won't the hoons just move elsewhere??

• New Zealand to upgrade their road system to this century if they are to have cars from this century driving on them in the hands of teenagers.
I personally don't think we can afford more than we are currently spending on roads. Theres no doubt roads are being straightened, more barriers are being added, and all at the same time as major arterial routes are being added in some of the larger cities. There might be better priorities for our money - herceptin, targeting a reduction in suicides (more prevalent than road deaths), tax cuts even, come to mind.

But first on the list:
• AN ENFORCED, REDUCED speed limits around all schools, pre-schools and children’s’ play areas.
Agreed

Working solutions already in place that can be mirrored:
Many of the debates on this forum point to other countries and say well it happens there. So I will play that card – the UK.

Take example from the UK driving standards and approach to these matters it is a working example. In my opinion it works because the police and public don’t accept less I lived in the Uk for 10 years and was not partiuclarly aware of any great strides in combatting or improving driving behaviour there. The UK is not without its own issues - joyriders, motorway tailgating, using residential streets as ratruns all seemed more prevalent there than I have observed in NZ. I also think the Uk has some natural advantages over NZ in solving some of the youth problems that we are discussing. Congestion tends to moderate boy racing, and a half decent public transport system helps a lot too.
Please don't think by my last comments I am belittling the NZ problem. I am just saying that the issues are difficult ones to address, and I'm always a bit hesitant in curtailing some innocent people's freedoms just because of a few bad ones. So on reflection my takeouts of all of this would be improved policing and better sentencing. They are the only ones that properly target the behaviour you are trying to stop.

Last edited by southerner; Mar 19th 2008 at 9:02 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:27 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

IMHO the biggest factor affecting change in New Zealand are Kiwi attitudes.

Many of them don't even acknowledge a problem exists, there may be some local fire fighting to deal with issues as they arise but there isn't any real long term planning or overall vision for the country.

I've found Kiwis to be quite good at sitting around and discussing an issue (nothing they like better) but when it comes to anything decisive or ground breaking they'll side step it or suggest that future research is needed, in the hope by the time the results are known something else will be the hot topic of the day. And that's on a business level.

Socially Kiwis, particularly the older ones who have probably never left the country, are quite content to corner a Brit in a pub. Then will bend our ears for hours on end about the dreadful problems in the UK faces and how wonderful isn't it that NZ isn't afflicted with the same issues. How it even gets dark there at 3pm despite you offering to provide them with photos of daylight at 9:30pm! and describing the pleasures of life in a small English country village . They won't hear you or notice your lips moving. There is just no changing some ingrained attitudes or one eyed ignorance.

I may have had my tongue in my cheek a bit when I suggested flooding the country with Ozzies but there is a lot to be said for watering down the closed mindset and opening up the gene pool a bit.

Last edited by Nerine; Mar 19th 2008 at 11:31 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 12:10 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by southerner
Thanks Campbells - thats a nice, well thought out answer to a problem that I know you feel strongly about. [and incredibly good formatting too - A+ for presentation]

In the spirit of discussing the practicalities of your proposals I have added my observations and some questions (because I don't think I know all the answers) below

Please don't think by my last comments I am belittling the NZ problem. I am just saying that the issues are difficult ones to address, and I'm always a bit hesitant in curtailing some innocent people's freedoms just because of a few bad ones. So on reflection my takeouts of all of this would be improved policing and better sentencing. They are the only ones that properly target the behaviour you are trying to stop.
Please

A+ for presentation

You sound like a teacher talking to a child

You asked a question how NZ can change I gave you some input, now you want to pick holes in that

I thought it was your pet project for the day?

That was yesterday

In conclusion:
I have said to you before and you get all upset and throw your toys when I say

Attitude is the problem

I have been told so many times that the Kiwis have this “can do” attitude

Lip service mate and the essence of your response is typical

Perhaps if you saw the situation as more than a pet project for the day and that in fact there are way too many youths ending up dead on the roads.

Note:
If you keep comparing the UK to NZ I think to be fair comparing where you live to London is not exactly the same

I would say you need to compare your area to Stornoway
Old Mar 20th 2008, 12:16 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm....I thought it a tad patronising too.

Last edited by Nerine; Mar 20th 2008 at 12:22 am.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 12:50 am
Here in Dunedin

Please

A+ for presentation

Hey - I was continuing in the theme of our last few posts together. You were happy to go along with it, until now. Sorry.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by southerner
Hey - I was continuing in the theme of our last few posts together. You were happy to go along with it, until now. Sorry.
No worries

have a good long weekend ..............
Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:05 am
Here in Dunedin

I'll let the rest of my post stand on its merits. If people don't want to focus on the bits we are in agreement on, then so be it.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:34 am
Here in Dunedin

have a good long weekend ..............
Thanks, you too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.