Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How are Brits Regarded?

How are Brits Regarded?

Old Jun 20th 2010, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all
Default How are Brits Regarded?

One of the first questions that spring to mind for me is how are Brits or any other migrants regarded by Kiwis.

The wife and i are very very keen on giving NZ a go

I am also aware of the issues of constantly saying 'Back home we do it like this' so i wont be using that statement at all having worked with Ozzies and kiwis in my current job i have found that the statement wears pretty thin pretty soon.

In the UK we are quite intolerant towards migrant workers (to our shame) are there similar issues in NZ

From the posts i have read already i can see that there is a kiwi way of doing things I dont have a problem with that, When in rome do as the romans do springs to mind.

Regards
Wilester
Old Jun 20th 2010, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How are Brits Regarded?

Originally Posted by Wilester View Post
One of the first questions that spring to mind for me is how are Brits or any other migrants regarded by Kiwis.

The wife and i are very very keen on giving NZ a go

I am also aware of the issues of constantly saying 'Back home we do it like this' so i wont be using that statement at all having worked with Ozzies and kiwis in my current job i have found that the statement wears pretty thin pretty soon.

In the UK we are quite intolerant towards migrant workers (to our shame) are there similar issues in NZ

From the posts i have read already i can see that there is a kiwi way of doing things I dont have a problem with that, When in rome do as the romans do springs to mind.

Regards
Wilester
Been here 5 years and I feel totally at home. Never ever had any problems. Others have had not so good experiences citing lots of problems in the work place etc. I did work for a govt. body for a few months and bullying was rife as was poor management..but isn't that a global thing?? So I left. If something is not to your satisfaction you can simply 'do one'.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Genesis not had a problem at all whether at work or not since we have been here.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 10:57 pm

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

not one single issue in six years other than a few typical moaning pom type jokes but always that just a laugh.

if you slag of the kiwis to their face and moan about how this and that is done then expect the same response as if you got that back in the uk from an immigrant.

all good here in my book
Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pestman View Post
not one single issue in six years other than a few typical moaning pom type jokes but always that just a laugh.

if you slag of the kiwis to their face and moan about how this and that is done then expect the same response as if you got that back in the uk from an immigrant.

all good here in my book
Not had any issues at all, treated one and the same.

Not like in Oz, christ, after 7 months there I developed a loathing of Ozzies and there constant bashing of everything that not Australian.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

ex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really nice

There are 2 types of kiwis those who have travelled overseas therefore more openminded and those who have never left nz and lived their lives the kiwi way and think its the only way. On the whole they are a good bunch.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 12:21 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't remember the exact wording of the commentator in this morning's NZ v Italy footie, something along the lines of;

"A tiny nation with huge hearts." Pretty much sums it up for me.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 1:25 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex geordie View Post
There are 2 types of kiwis those who have travelled overseas therefore more openminded and those who have never left nz and lived their lives the kiwi way and think its the only way. On the whole they are a good bunch.
+1 to that!
Old Jun 21st 2010, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Exellent description

Neil
Old Jun 21st 2010, 2:09 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah View Post
I can't remember the exact wording of the commentator in this morning's NZ v Italy footie, something along the lines of;

"A tiny nation with huge hearts." Pretty much sums it up for me.
me too. We've been treated with nothing but friendliness and kindness from the kiwis here.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pixi-dust View Post
me too. We've been treated with nothing but friendliness and kindness from the kiwis here.
Same here.

apart from my boss
Old Jun 21st 2010, 3:28 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR View Post
Not had any issues at all, treated one and the same.

Not like in Oz, christ, after 7 months there I developed a loathing of Ozzies and there constant bashing of everything that not Australian.
Ditto....no problems here....get used to a bit of leg pulling especially about the footy team at the moment...but nothing nasty at all...unlike Oz.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 4:43 am
Banned

Myfanwyclogau is an unknown quantity at this point

Well now, sorry to "All" of the above but my experience is that while it does seem they like us, they have a smile like the great white and I am not at all sure the friendliness is genuine.
Now that is just MY feeling! I reckon the expression "Cashed up" sums up thyeir feelings, Jealousy.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:53 am

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Myfanwyclogau View Post
Well now, sorry to "All" of the above but my experience is that while it does seem they like us, they have a smile like the great white and I am not at all sure the friendliness is genuine.
Now that is just MY feeling! I reckon the expression "Cashed up" sums up thyeir feelings, Jealousy.
fair enough as that is what you have experienced.

I am quick to get into certain conversations the fact that im not 'one of the rich pom's' and have a mortgage and alike and tbh once they know that it's all good.

I will add though that the need for such a comment has been counted on one hand in 6 years and has been to kiwis who I wouldnt really be freinds with anyway. I would say we have been taken at face value and not judged one bit unlike the UK which was all about what bling you did / didnt have
Old Jun 21st 2010, 7:28 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

There are 2 types of citizen those who have travelled overseas therefore more openminded and those who have never left their country and lived their lives their way and think its the only way.
Just paraphrased your comment into a more generic, it applies the world over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.