British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   How are Brits Regarded? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/how-brits-regarded-673162/)

Wilester Jun 20th 2010 8:44 am

How are Brits Regarded?

One of the first questions that spring to mind for me is how are Brits or any other migrants regarded by Kiwis.

The wife and i are very very keen on giving NZ a go :eek:

I am also aware of the issues of constantly saying 'Back home we do it like this' so i wont be using that statement at all having worked with Ozzies and kiwis in my current job i have found that the statement wears pretty thin pretty soon.

In the UK we are quite intolerant towards migrant workers (to our shame) are there similar issues in NZ

From the posts i have read already i can see that there is a kiwi way of doing things :D I dont have a problem with that, When in rome do as the romans do springs to mind.

Regards
Wilester

Genesis Jun 20th 2010 8:12 pm

Re: How are Brits Regarded?

Originally Posted by Wilester (Post 8644231)
One of the first questions that spring to mind for me is how are Brits or any other migrants regarded by Kiwis.

The wife and i are very very keen on giving NZ a go :eek:

I am also aware of the issues of constantly saying 'Back home we do it like this' so i wont be using that statement at all having worked with Ozzies and kiwis in my current job i have found that the statement wears pretty thin pretty soon.

In the UK we are quite intolerant towards migrant workers (to our shame) are there similar issues in NZ

From the posts i have read already i can see that there is a kiwi way of doing things :D I dont have a problem with that, When in rome do as the romans do springs to mind.

Regards
Wilester

Been here 5 years and I feel totally at home. Never ever had any problems. Others have had not so good experiences citing lots of problems in the work place etc. I did work for a govt. body for a few months and bullying was rife as was poor management..but isn't that a global thing?? So I left. If something is not to your satisfaction you can simply 'do one'.

RobDon Jun 20th 2010 10:48 pm

Agree with Genesis not had a problem at all whether at work or not since we have been here. :thumbup:

pestman Jun 20th 2010 10:57 pm

not one single issue in six years other than a few typical moaning pom type jokes but always that just a laugh.

if you slag of the kiwis to their face and moan about how this and that is done then expect the same response as if you got that back in the uk from an immigrant.

all good here in my book

AndyR Jun 20th 2010 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by pestman (Post 8645352)
not one single issue in six years other than a few typical moaning pom type jokes but always that just a laugh.

if you slag of the kiwis to their face and moan about how this and that is done then expect the same response as if you got that back in the uk from an immigrant.

all good here in my book

Not had any issues at all, treated one and the same.

Not like in Oz, christ, after 7 months there I developed a loathing of Ozzies and there constant bashing of everything that not Australian.

ex geordie Jun 21st 2010 12:12 am

There are 2 types of kiwis those who have travelled overseas therefore more openminded and those who have never left nz and lived their lives the kiwi way and think its the only way. On the whole they are a good bunch.:)

Am Loolah Jun 21st 2010 12:21 am

I can't remember the exact wording of the commentator in this morning's NZ v Italy footie, something along the lines of;

"A tiny nation with huge hearts." Pretty much sums it up for me.:thumbsup:

lardyl Jun 21st 2010 1:25 am

Originally Posted by ex geordie (Post 8645420)
There are 2 types of kiwis those who have travelled overseas therefore more openminded and those who have never left nz and lived their lives the kiwi way and think its the only way. On the whole they are a good bunch.:)

+1 to that!:thumbup:

Jan n Neil Jun 21st 2010 1:58 am

Exellent description :thumbup:

Neil

pixi-dust Jun 21st 2010 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 8645424)
I can't remember the exact wording of the commentator in this morning's NZ v Italy footie, something along the lines of;

"A tiny nation with huge hearts." Pretty much sums it up for me.:thumbsup:

me too. We've been treated with nothing but friendliness and kindness from the kiwis here.

AndyR Jun 21st 2010 2:44 am

Originally Posted by pixi-dust (Post 8645513)
me too. We've been treated with nothing but friendliness and kindness from the kiwis here.

Same here.

apart from my boss

Wooly_Cow Jun 21st 2010 3:28 am

Originally Posted by AndyR (Post 8645383)
Not had any issues at all, treated one and the same.

Not like in Oz, christ, after 7 months there I developed a loathing of Ozzies and there constant bashing of everything that not Australian.

Ditto....no problems here....get used to a bit of leg pulling especially about the footy team at the moment...but nothing nasty at all...unlike Oz.

Myfanwyclogau Jun 21st 2010 4:43 am

Well now, sorry to "All" of the above but my experience is that while it does seem they like us, they have a smile like the great white and I am not at all sure the friendliness is genuine.
Now that is just MY feeling! I reckon the expression "Cashed up" sums up thyeir feelings, Jealousy.

pestman Jun 21st 2010 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Myfanwyclogau (Post 8645652)
Well now, sorry to "All" of the above but my experience is that while it does seem they like us, they have a smile like the great white and I am not at all sure the friendliness is genuine.
Now that is just MY feeling! I reckon the expression "Cashed up" sums up thyeir feelings, Jealousy.

fair enough as that is what you have experienced.

I am quick to get into certain conversations the fact that im not 'one of the rich pom's' and have a mortgage and alike and tbh once they know that it's all good.

I will add though that the need for such a comment has been counted on one hand in 6 years and has been to kiwis who I wouldnt really be freinds with anyway. I would say we have been taken at face value and not judged one bit unlike the UK which was all about what bling you did / didnt have:D

simonsi Jun 21st 2010 7:28 am

There are 2 types of citizen those who have travelled overseas therefore more openminded and those who have never left their country and lived their lives their way and think its the only way.

Just paraphrased your comment into a more generic, it applies the world over.