Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How to beat exchange rates? E.g. buy a sought after car in UK and import to NZ

How to beat exchange rates? E.g. buy a sought after car in UK and import to NZ

Old Sep 8th 2016, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

stevelancaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to beat exchange rates? E.g. buy a sought after car in UK and import to NZ

I'm moving to New Zealand later this year and, like many, I've taken a massive hit on my savings since Brexit.

I'm looking for ideas for ways to beat the exchange rate somehow. One option is to look for cars that are worth more in NZ than the UK (e.g. premium Uk/Euro vehicles) and bring one over. Even with taxes, shipping, insurance it makes some sense.

Any other ideas? What's everyone else doing?
Old Sep 8th 2016, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How to beat exchange rates? E.g. buy a sought after car in UK and import to NZ

We keep toying with the idea of a caravan but I'm feeling a bit stressed out with the move as it is, not sure I can cope with that added complication!
Old Sep 8th 2016, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to beat exchange rates? E.g. buy a sought after car in UK and import to NZ

If you buy a car in the UK to ship to NZ, you have to own it for 12 months in the UK or be liable for import tax.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cappuccino
If you buy a car in the UK to ship to NZ, you have to own it for 12 months in the UK or be liable for import tax.
That's correct, but if you choose a European car that's more sought after in New Zealand, the price difference can be significantly more than the full landed cost, including GST.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 7:50 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

plus if you sell it within 3 years, I think it was, you have to pay a yearly depreciating amount to customs
Old Sep 9th 2016, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevelancaster
I'm moving to New Zealand later this year and, like many, I've taken a massive hit on my savings since Brexit.

I'm looking for ideas for ways to beat the exchange rate somehow. One option is to look for cars that are worth more in NZ than the UK (e.g. premium Uk/Euro vehicles) and bring one over. Even with taxes, shipping, insurance it makes some sense.

Any other ideas? What's everyone else doing?
I am bringing in an MX5 next week. With transport/insurance/handling charges and paying GST I will save at the very most a few thousand $, but the spec isn't available here (and it is for the wife who tells me she is worth it) :-)
Old Sep 9th 2016, 4:07 am
Just Joined

Ianriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond repute

we are really looking into bringing campers down and then hiring them out on Share a Camper. Nice bit of passive income with little risk
Old Sep 9th 2016, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ianriv
we are really looking into bringing campers down and then hiring them out on Share a Camper. Nice bit of passive income with little risk
I looked at it but the potential compliance problems are high unless it is newish. Caravans are easier as they are treated as a trailer. In both cases unless you have owned them for 12 months you get stung for both GST and import duty.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

Our local car dealer, who we supply with wood buys all his cars from Japan, he does a roaring trade. Cars are very cheap in NZ so would it really be worthwhile to bring from the UK? He would surely go to the UK to source his cars if it was and he doesn't, he buys from Japan. We have two of his cars and they're flippin great and have never let us down.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Sure cars are imported to NZ, and they are cheaper compared those NZ new, but are they very cheap? I wouldn't have so, simply 2nd handcars are expensive in NZ. With UK exchange rate to NZ, there is probably some money it, might already be some doing it. Yes, there's import taxes, but that's no different to Japan imports they'll be import taxes on them.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt it'd work out. European cars aren't sought after here unless they are high class Mercs, BMW and maybe Audi/VW. They aren't to NZ spec and parts/servicing more expensive here than others. All mechanics here state European cars will be an added premium on any advertised fixed cost service and parts can take weeks to arrive.
If you really wanna bring something to make money it's a caravan or campervan as they are just insane cost here. You must factor in the cost of shipping, GST, import charges, compliance, registration etc but it should be worth it if you can suffer the hassle it will give you. A mate of mine has done a couple but got fed up with the stress of it all and even though he made a bit of cash it wasn't enough to make it a regular thing.
I've thought about it but for me it's like gambling....shelling out say $10 000 to buy a van, ship it over and get it registered to then get $40 000 4 months later sounds great but only great if you can afford to lose that money if it all turns to custard. You only need 1 bad buy to screw your dream of making a bit of cash.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
I doubt it'd work out. European cars aren't sought after here unless they are high class Mercs, BMW and maybe Audi/VW. They aren't to NZ spec and parts/servicing more expensive here than others. All mechanics here state European cars will be an added premium on any advertised fixed cost service and parts can take weeks to arrive.
If you really wanna bring something to make money it's a caravan or campervan as they are just insane cost here. You must factor in the cost of shipping, GST, import charges, compliance, registration etc but it should be worth it if you can suffer the hassle it will give you. A mate of mine has done a couple but got fed up with the stress of it all and even though he made a bit of cash it wasn't enough to make it a regular thing.
I've thought about it but for me it's like gambling....shelling out say $10 000 to buy a van, ship it over and get it registered to then get $40 000 4 months later sounds great but only great if you can afford to lose that money if it all turns to custard. You only need 1 bad buy to screw your dream of making a bit of cash.
Which particular campervans or caravans was your friend bringing over?
Old Sep 9th 2016, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevelancaster
Which particular campervans or caravans was your friend bringing over?
Think they were just Elddis tourers and over 10 years old.
There's many really old caravans here.
Kiwis are very sentimental when it comes to old caravans from the 60's / 70's as they used to holiday in them as kids. A colleague of mine bought one last year as it reminded him of when he grew up, complete with net curtains and doilies on the sofa arms.
Have a look on TradeMe at used prices you'll be shocked.
There's a camper/caravan dealer on Hewletts Road, Mount Maunganui that I drive past often and I burst in to laughter at the windscreen sticker prices $50k for an old duffer caravan :-)
Old Sep 10th 2016, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Think they were just Elddis tourers and over 10 years old.
There's many really old caravans here.
Kiwis are very sentimental when it comes to old caravans from the 60's / 70's as they used to holiday in them as kids. A colleague of mine bought one last year as it reminded him of when he grew up, complete with net curtains and doilies on the sofa arms.
Have a look on TradeMe at used prices you'll be shocked.
There's a camper/caravan dealer on Hewletts Road, Mount Maunganui that I drive past often and I burst in to laughter at the windscreen sticker prices $50k for an old duffer caravan :-)
I used to do the same and I still don't understand why the prices are so high for such old wrecks.

Though the old retro caravans are very much growing in popularity now, owners are glamming them up and making them look very pretty.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Another point; as far as I know there is little demand for second hand cars in Japan (possibly a cultural thing) so they are very cheap compared to other countries.

There is also the prejudice against UK cars (the only RHD cars you can get from Europe).

From back in the '80s people in NZ have always seemed to regard UK cars as dodgy because of all the salt spread on the roads over winter. Not an issue these days but UK cars used to rot away pretty quickly (if you remember that far back).

Another thing I noticed - in the UK if the car has done less that 100,000 miles it is generally seen as O.K. In NZ anything over 100,000 km is regarded as high mileage.

All down to perception, not logic, but as others have said camper vans and caravans seem to be the way to make (or save) money at the moment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.