How bad is it?

Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Zootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant future
Default How bad is it?

Hi there, I guess I am a bit different to the average poster on here, in that I already have NZ citizenship, but live in the UK and have done since 99. We have one son in the RAF for the next 9 years at least and a 19 y.o. daughter kicking up a fuss abut moving to the other side of the world.

I am being arm wrestled by my wife to move back but in reality I think I am a bit scared of the prospect. She has already set a date and has had the movers give us quotes.

All the talk of low-paid jobs, P, gangs, violence and general crime on the up, dole bludgers, weirdos and beer at an astronomical price just makes me want to stay in nice, safe, rural blighty.

Is it as bad as I read in the Herald and Listener?
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How bad is it?

Originally Posted by Zootalaws
Hi there, I guess I am a bit different to the average poster on here, in that I already have NZ citizenship, but live in the UK and have done since 99. We have one son in the RAF for the next 9 years at least and a 19 y.o. daughter kicking up a fuss abut moving to the other side of the world.

I am being arm wrestled by my wife to move back but in reality I think I am a bit scared of the prospect. She has already set a date and has had the movers give us quotes.

All the talk of low-paid jobs, P, gangs, violence and general crime on the up, dole bludgers, weirdos and beer at an astronomical price just makes me want to stay in nice, safe, rural blighty.

It depends what you can carve out for yourself here in NZ. I am very content after 5 years. I have recently posted 2 very negative threads about NZ but that is only because people need to know the facts aye..good and bad. We are very content in what many see as the arse on NZ...Palmerston North. There is shit that happens here that is awful. BUT it ain't on my doorstep. We live in a part of the town that only those that live here know about. That's half the secret. Its quiet with superb quality neighbours (in the ways of quiet not friendly mind). It is all I ever wanted in the UK..to live somewhere quality and in peace. Job achieved. When we do go out the roads are empty and everything is nice. We avoid what and where we know are not right and everything is cushty. NZ is full of crap..just like the UK. Now you sound like you have what I wanted in the Uk but was priced out.

Only you will know if its right by coming here. NZ does have all the problems you mention and many more..including shite driving and waaay too much poor housing. You will more than likely have to spend large like we did to get our house up to UK warmth standards..ie d/glazing, c/heating, log burners et al.

NZ will either we good or bad for you. I love the place warts and all. BUT if you look where I left in the UK it does not take much to be an improvement on inner Northampton!! Don't you have to give it a try? Or not as the case may be. Just do your best to insulate your personal fan from all the shit flying around..I manage that here but could not in the UK. Result is contentment here and malcontentment in the UK.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

If you've spent time here before you'll know there are, lets say, certain types
that create most of the problems down here.
sounds like your happy in the uk, i had been i wouldnt have left.
some people want a change just for change sake.
if your daughter is a social type and like like a buzzy social scene she wont like it.
why not come for long holiday and take it from there
Old Apr 4th 2010, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

And your dead on, Beer is astronomical
Old Apr 4th 2010, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like you're in a lovely place and you like the lifestyle. Why does your wife want to go back? I agree that a holiday, with a view to moving, might be a good idea. Sometimes things can take on a rosy hue when you aren't there any more. As far as gangs, murders, safety etc NZ is as safe as anywhere, probably safer than most, but it isn't perfect and bad things happen.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 9:12 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kiwinow
Sounds like you're in a lovely place and you like the lifestyle. Why does your wife want to go back? I agree that a holiday, with a view to moving, might be a good idea. Sometimes things can take on a rosy hue when you aren't there any more. As far as gangs, murders, safety etc NZ is as safe as anywhere, probably safer than most, but it isn't perfect and bad things happen.
I agree with the above. I remember recently reading a comment made by Karen Aimes' father on the anniversary of her death, she was a Scottish young lady travelling in NZ who was murdered, and he said he still recommends NZ as a safe country for young people to visit. What happened to his daughter was wrong place/wrong time.

"Scotland-based father Brian Aim's beloved and beautiful daughter was brutally murdered in New Zealand - but he hates the criminal rather than the country.

After all his family has been through he still recommends New Zealand as a "safe" country to visit."

From NZ Herald.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all

As with every country in the world, if you want to find the bad things (drugs, thieves, low lifes, boy racers) you will find them.
When we moved to NZ I did not have a job but found work easily within 3 weeks of arriving, and my wife got a pay rise by moving to NZ. We have lived in Wellington for 18 months and have felt safe at all times of the day and night. My wife is happy catching the bus and meeting up in town late at night on her own. She would not have done this back in the UK. We used to live in Exeter back in the UK so nothing as bad as central London/Birmingham/Manchester etc
Yes beer is pricy but wine is a lot cheaper
Old Apr 4th 2010, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cleverchap
As with every country in the world, if you want to find the bad things (drugs, thieves, low lifes, boy racers) you will find them.
When we moved to NZ I did not have a job but found work easily within 3 weeks of arriving, and my wife got a pay rise by moving to NZ. We have lived in Wellington for 18 months and have felt safe at all times of the day and night. My wife is happy catching the bus and meeting up in town late at night on her own. She would not have done this back in the UK. We used to live in Exeter back in the UK so nothing as bad as central London/Birmingham/Manchester etc
Yes beer is pricy but wine is a lot cheaper
Might be different in other cities but here in Chc my wife or family would not venture out at night. It's like bedlam where we are staying from 21:00hrs to 04:00, wow never heard anything like it. Cars screaming between the traffic lights, continuous Police sirens and hoodlums just like the UK.

I don't think there's a closing time here so it's continuous anti social behavior.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 12:18 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like the Uk then
Old Apr 5th 2010, 12:20 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

apart fromn Beer prices though! but I drink wine its cheaper
Old Apr 6th 2010, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

ibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Might be different in other cities but here in Chc my wife or family would not venture out at night. It's like bedlam where we are staying from 21:00hrs to 04:00, wow never heard anything like it. Cars screaming between the traffic lights, continuous Police sirens and hoodlums just like the UK.

I don't think there's a closing time here so it's continuous anti social behavior.
Where in Chch are you? During our limited 10 day experience I never saw something like that and we went shopping at late hours usually.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

christchurch definitely has a reputation for it's antisocial behaviour
It gives me (and many people that I know) the heebeejeebees
Old Apr 6th 2010, 10:42 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Every Town/City that harbours a University has the same problem....it's called STUDENTS......
Old Apr 6th 2010, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Auckland though...saying that I'm never in the city centre (or anywhere for that matter) at night and is it very spread out
Old Apr 6th 2010, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Nah it's not students.

Criminals or scumbags is better. They race through the city streets till 5:00am, smashing bottles, fighting just like the UK but worse. it's sort of tolerated. Duneden has a Gumball rally once a year but in central Chc it's 3 days a week.

Last edited by mcuddy1; Apr 6th 2010 at 11:11 am. Reason: shit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.