Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How backward is New Zealand

How backward is New Zealand

Old Feb 2nd 2010, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How backward is New Zealand

Originally Posted by Heavenlyscent
Hi
Someone asked me this week in a post how I could describe New Zealand as Backward. Can people help me explain as I have pondered on the subject for days

No choice in the supermarkets, if u want to home back u r ok, want a convenience meal forget it!
Education is appaling, my opinion of having 4 kids in the UK system then NZ
No expectations for kids to leave school and go to University
The people are NOT intelligent and to get an intelligent conversation is near on impossible
Health and Safety is a joke
Music is mostly american rap and NZ follow american culture
Wages are do not match expectations, therefore lifestyle you have previously had is no where in sight
The Kiwi's do not want progress especially in all the farms I visited
NZ is not safer than the UK in our experience
Drugs are a big acceptable part of their culture
The biggest suicide rate in teenagers is in NZ as the pressure on kids to go out and work to bring in money for the family, is a bigger pressure than getting a good education in the UK
College courses are few and far between
Being so far away from other countries, it has been left behind
The fact that there is no structure to society is very hard to work with, especially as the UK is so structured
Lots of Adults in NZ believe in being in gangs, which their kids follow.

This is not a england vs nz post, but I was asked my opinion and I am sure there are lots of people out there who can help me try to explain how lots of Brits find NZ backward
NZ isn't exactly progressive but I think you have been a bit harsh in some of your comments but I guess they are your view. I have called it backwards before..a touch tongue in cheek and also with a measure of truth, re the roads, healthy and safety, driving standards, acceptance of the gangs by the authorities (I think the police et al could do more to fight the criminal element of the gangs), acceptance of drink drive and a few others.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I find it very ironic that someone who is clearly semi-literate describes a whole country as being unintelligent.
Perhaps now the OP has left these shores, the average IQ may have crept up an iota
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:21 pm

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point

have to say I agree this is a total crock of crap.

if being backwards isnt home baking and not eating ready meals then boy im dumb!

sounds to me that you must be having trouble getting all that sand out of your eyes and ears having had your head buried in it while here.

I cant be bothered to go over all the positives as iv'e done that before.needless to say some folk should never move here as if its the UK you want stay in the UK britain this aint thank heavens!

george

Last edited by george toni; Feb 2nd 2010 at 5:22 pm. Reason: spelin
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Lee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud of

WOW! That got people stirred up

My husband and I have chosen to move to New Zealand partly because it hasnt progressed so much. We dont expect to come over and have a rich and easy life but we hope for a more simple, less crowded lifestyle. Where we are in good old Essex, every spare foot of land has a new house or block of flats going up which of course results in more and more people moving into the area. This whole country is going mad on regulations, health and safety, political correctness, fine you for this... fine you for that

I must say I have only seen a very small part of NZ and to read threads like that can be quite worrying. But lets face it there are good and bad people/areas wherever you go so I'll try not to panic
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I find it very ironic that someone who is clearly semi-literate describes a whole country as being unintelligent.
Perhaps now the OP has left these shores, the average IQ may have crept up an iota

50% of NZ college students go on to university, not yours though heavenlyscent?? They would need a parent who could master a keyboard to do that.
I don't fancy American rap music either and as a previous poster said you can always change channels, but it doesn't make a place backward, just different. There is a very wide variety of radio stations available in this county.
Really to sum up your ill-conceived post what you're saying to me anyway is that you didn't fit in here, so returned to UK, well woopy doo. Hold the front page!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:49 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by janek

50% of NZ college students go on to university, not yours though heavenlyscent?? They would need a parent who could master a keyboard to do that.
I don't fancy American rap music either and as a previous poster said you can always change channels, but it doesn't make a place backward, just different. There is a very wide variety of radio stations available in this county.
Really to sum up your ill-conceived post what you're saying to me anyway is that you didn't fit in here, so returned to UK, well woopy doo. Hold the front page!
Well said!

and heavenly scent you do talk complete bollocks, if you actually watch music channels and take a interest in music you would see that its all type of music that's popular here, not just rap omg how blinkered!

and to complain about the lack of convienice foods just about sums up what type of person you are, good riddance i say!

Last edited by love30stm; Feb 2nd 2010 at 5:56 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:53 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Hahaha! The semi-literate first post made my husband and I laugh heaps, which is always good first thing in the morning.

Right, off to smoke some weed, swear at the kids to make sure they abandon their uni aspirations, do some home baking, have an unintelligent conversation with my neighbour, listen to some American rap and join a gang
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Hahaha! The semi-literate first post made my husband and I laugh heaps, which is always good first thing in the morning.

Right, off to smoke some weed, swear at the kids to make sure they abandon their uni aspirations, do some home baking, have an unintelligent conversation with my neighbour, listen to some American rap and join a gang
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

kenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the rough

Dont forget to get p1ssed before you drive the kids to school
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:57 pm
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about

gosh!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:59 pm

Sound like a normal day for me!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, maybe I'm backward, quite possibly I am because I actively dislike convenience foods, give me home cooking any day, and alongside that I like being able to buy fresh fruit and vegetables in season....not out of season asparagus from peru or green beans from Kenya all year round, as you can in the UK.

By coincidence I had a friend visit yesterday, he's a dairy farmer in Yorkshire who happens to be visiting on holiday here, and we talked a bit about dairy farmer over here. Now I barely know one end of a cow from another, but I work in a predominantly farming community so I know a tiny, tiny amount about farming here, so we had an interesting discussion about some of the differences in practices, batch calving, share milking etc.....overall those innovations work well here because of the size & style of farming, and because such a large proportions of milk are processed and exported rather than being kept for the liquid milk market. Not better, not worse, not even backward...just different, and more in keeping with the market demands in NZ.

Education...well both of my children appear to be doing OK. The style of learning is different, but they appear to like it. Son just started year 13, & we're looking at his & the school's expectations for next year. He, & the school want uni, it seems to be within his grasp, and I'm the one hesitating because I'm completely opposed to the belief system that says uni at any cost to take some meaningless degree and end up with student loans, huge debt & overqualified. But the pressure is there to go to university for sure...and if he wants to take a degree that will offer him good, secure employment after...then university will be an option for him.

Oh, and of course I live in Rotorua....and gues what. I'm very, very happy here. Thanks.

But some of the problems you describe do exist. Absolutely. Within a certain sector of society who happen to be well represented in Rotorua. But there are disaffected, lazy, unmotivated, ill educated, drug taking, 3rd generation state beneficiaries louts world wide. I've met a few of them in the UK, and sure I've met a few of them here too. They exist, I agree, but they don't really impinge on my life too much.

Gangs...for sure, they're around too. But they're not interested in me, or mine, nor am I interested in them. Black Power, Mongrel Mob, Tribesmen et al are well represented in Rotorua. But they're pretty much exclusively Maori and they're too busy picking fights with each other to worry about me. Fortunately

NZ isn't for everyone, Rotorua too isn't for everyone I happen to actually like the cultural diversity here and have made some great friends, but I agree it has it's problems. It just happens that I prefer, on the whole, the lifestyle here...and I can tolerate those problems without getting too worked up about them.

Just as an aside. I used to visit a Maori gentleman every Friday lunchtime. Every time I arrived there he was watching The Jeremy Kyle Show . He took great pleasure in teasing me about my "countrymen" and how all Brits must be like that I refuse to take that as a true representation of the British people...just as I disagree with the OPs sweeping generalisations about NZ, even though I do accept that there are some elements of truth there about some sectors of NZ society.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I will go with the load of bollox as well, the pace of life may be a little slower here but u have the same oportunities as any other westernised country
I do quite like the idea of joining a gang, will there be cake ? home baked of course

Neil
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 7:00 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Blimey - I'm glad you're not my kids' English teacher!

Joke, joke ...
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
No, it's not like that, lapsed Kiwi.

seriously,,, think I would discuss about this subject with my old Brit mate (a lecturer at Vic) this morning - gotta have crap coffee with him soon in town. It would be interesting.

Last edited by crap coffee; Feb 2nd 2010 at 7:27 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.