British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   How??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/how-516278/)

Tan0410 Feb 22nd 2008 5:59 am

How???

I apologise as I know there's bound to be threads about this already....struggling to find time between nappies :wub:

How have you guys got your rentals? Did you wait till you got out there or organised from this end?

Cheers Tan

hjmilligan Feb 22nd 2008 6:20 am

Re: How???

Originally Posted by Tan0410 (Post 5967511)
I apologise as I know there's bound to be threads about this already....struggling to find time between nappies :wub:

How have you guys got your rentals? Did you wait till you got out there or organised from this end?

Cheers Tan

Hi Tan,

Stayed at a motel for a couple of weeks. We had to wait a little longer for a rental as my dog was coming later and dogs and rentals dont mix!!
Had a rental in two weeks,so good going i think,but if no dogs can get one in a day or so,but it might differ from place to place.
You can start looking on the web through the agents,personnally i would like to see before i rent as pictures could be deseiving
Good luck

Helen:thumbup:

Nerine Feb 22nd 2008 6:36 am

We did the same - stayed in a motel until we found something. If it's out of season also look at holiday lets and parks, or try to find a short term furnished let before leaving the UK.

Before signing a long term contract you really do need to be there to have a good look at the place as the standards can vary quite a lot.

Maz Feb 22nd 2008 7:15 am

Awwwwww :wub: No worries luvvie! :wub: I remember those days. :) :) :) They pass... then they become quarrelsome little brats! :lol:

Cheers Tan

We were already here and we looked on trademe. Found a rental and got a (blech!!! don't do it!!!) 6-month lease. Please please please get a periodic lease! :) :thumbup: Insist on it!!!

Tan0410 Feb 22nd 2008 7:53 am

Awwwwww No worries luvvie! I remember those days. They pass... then they become quarrelsome little brats!
Cheers Maz :( :wub:

Had read before about the periodic lease thing so have that in the back of my mind already.

Tan

newkiwi Feb 22nd 2008 8:36 am

Cheers Tan

we booked into a motel for two weeks, and then started house hunting when I got there. I'd think it would be difficult to get a rental sorted from the UK. Have access to a car, when we were renting the standard response from estate agents was "the address is X, you can have a look from the outside and if you are interested give us a call and we will show you the inside". That or "we have an open home tomorrow afternoon, come by and have a look".

Granted, the housing market may have slowed down so it may be more of a buyers (renters) market and potentially easier to get a rental.

whitesand Feb 22nd 2008 10:03 am

This question comes up a lot. I think the best way is to come here and then sort out the rental. If you organise it from the UK then I think it will cost you much more than if you simply looked around when you arrive. It's not like the UK where rentals can be difficult. There are hundreds of places to rent in NZ and it's easy to get one.

The best way is to say stay at the holiday parks where you can pick up good cheap accommodation which will have your own bathroom and cooking facilities. Much cheaper than booking into a hotel for a few weeks. These holdiay parks are all over NZ and if you come off-season than the rates get much cheaper. Also, don't tale any rental accommodation with longer than three weeks notice, as thet gives you the option of looking around again if you decide that you wish to move.

Best plan, get a car from the airport for a few days, then rent somewhere cheaper after that. Book a hotel for two nights to recover from jet-lag and then move on to cheaper accommodation. You can always extend your hotel if you wish. Don't overplan as it will cost you and you'll be sorry you did not wait until you were here.