Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Housing in Wellington

Housing in Wellington

Old May 10th 2010, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Shazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really nice
Default Housing in Wellington

Hi all my partner and I (plus dog) are headin out in decemeber and im just wondering if anyone knows of any complanys or rental agencys that rent out fully furnished rentals for maybe a month or so while we find our feet? the few ive found are very expensive, and am not liking the idea of walking into a house with no furniture ha!! any info wud be grand x
Oh also, if anyone has been through the doggy transport from uk to NZ please let me kno i would love to pick ur brains, as this is a huge pain in the ****!! thanks
Shaz
xx
Old May 10th 2010, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice
Default Re: Housing in Wellington

Hi Shaz

Finding fully furnished housing stock in NZ is harder than the UK. It would also be good if you had an idea of what part of Welly you are aiming towards. Also,December is high summer here and so alot of places will be full with people on holiday (much fully furnished accom is also rented out as holiday homes). As such the cost will be higher. The obvious starting point will be "Trade Me" - though gumtree also has rentals.

Have you considered in renting further afield than central Welly? There are so many great places to locate that are within communting distance of Welly. Its definately something to consider.

Good luck!
Old May 11th 2010, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shazmoo
Hi all my partner and I (plus dog) are headin out in decemeber and im just wondering if anyone knows of any complanys or rental agencys that rent out fully furnished rentals for maybe a month or so while we find our feet? the few ive found are very expensive, and am not liking the idea of walking into a house with no furniture ha!! any info wud be grand x
Oh also, if anyone has been through the doggy transport from uk to NZ please let me kno i would love to pick ur brains, as this is a huge pain in the ****!! thanks
Shaz
xx
Hi Shaz,

You might be better off to do something like we did...

We rented an unfurnished place for six months and then rented all our furniture as well. DTR or Mr Rentals both do deals on quantity and length of rental and may provide an alternative approach for you...

Simon
Old May 11th 2010, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Rentals of less than 6 months are pretty hard to come by full stop in my experience, furnished or not, and it gets harder the closer you get to town.

Numerous companies do 'serviced apartments' which might suit your need, but you may not call them cheap.

If you are coming over the xmas holiday period you may be lucky to find someone in Wellington going away for a month or two - as well as trademe you could put an advert on the trade and exchange website.
Old May 11th 2010, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Without sounding like the bad news fairy...renting isn't easy with dogs either so you may have it stacked against you trying to do all three of those things...i like the idea that browner had of renting furniture or getting cheap second hand stuff...there may be some BE people in well with some spare stuff too
Old May 15th 2010, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

drrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nice

If I were you, I'd look on some of the bach websites like 'bookabach.co.nz'. They rent out furnished houses. Don't book directly through the website - email the bach owners and make them an offer (e.g. $500/week for a fixed period such as 6 - 8 weeks).

Even though they'd be earning a bit less per night, they might be happy to have a medium-term tenant to save the hassle of changeovers and void periods.

By the way, NZ pretty much shuts down between Christmas and the second half of January. Most company offices will be pretty much closed - my wife interviewed for her job in late December, but they didn't meet to decide to give her the job until everyone had returned from their holidays around 18th January! So you may as well plan to go travelling over Christmas and New Year. If you go down the bach route, you can sacrifice the bach while you're travelling to save on rent during that period.