Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Housing/Heating/Insulation

Housing/Heating/Insulation

Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

GINGERSEAMONSTER has a spectacular aura aboutGINGERSEAMONSTER has a spectacular aura aboutGINGERSEAMONSTER has a spectacular aura about
Default Housing/Heating/Insulation

I've posted a similar querry before but didn't get any response, so heres hoping for at least one reply.

I've seen a lot of postings about the housing quality and the fact that they are not insulated and that they are expensive to heat. I know they are built diferent than in the UK and rest of Europe, in that they are generally not built of brick or stone with slate/tile roofs.

It seems that people don't insulate the same as we do, ie with cavity wall, loft and double glazing. Is there a reason for this? I've looked at some NZ builders merchants and they do sell insulation, so i know it is available.

The question is why don't people insulate? I know i will be when we get down there.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:36 pm
turkeytickler

Default Re: Housing/Heating/Insulation

Originally Posted by GINGERSEAMONSTER
I've posted a similar querry before but didn't get any response, so heres hoping for at least one reply.

I've seen a lot of postings about the housing quality and the fact that they are not insulated and that they are expensive to heat. I know they are built diferent than in the UK and rest of Europe, in that they are generally not built of brick or stone with slate/tile roofs.

It seems that people don't insulate the same as we do, ie with cavity wall, loft and double glazing. Is there a reason for this? I've looked at some NZ builders merchants and they do sell insulation, so i know it is available.

The question is why don't people insulate? I know i will be when we get down there.
Oh boy you picked a good time to start this one :scared: - ask lapsed kiwi - he'll be delighted to explain!

Last edited by turkeytickler; Dec 5th 2005 at 7:41 pm.

Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:43 pm
Banned

homesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant future

I haven't got a clue why people dont insulate & they dont, there's adverts on tv here all the time for insulation & stuff, cant remember seeing them at home.
They definitely do not insulate like we do in europe, i wish i knew why, money i think (kiwis are tight), a lot of the housing stock is old & whilst built quite sturdily, is not insulated & you can see the breath in front of your face in the winter in your house, then if you've got the place well heated, the walls start getting condensation on them. Theres no central heating either, so we got an oil radiator & put it on a timer plug, simple solution, but not the same as that toasty feeling you get at home & power can be expensive too.
My opinion is to inuslate as best you can (but not cheap), get a de-humidifier, you won't believe the moisture in some houses, & get timed wall heaters, or those timer plugs for electric heaters or something.
Do not let anyone tell you that insulation is standard over here, it isn't, nowhere near. Summer is ok, but winter can be tough, we said we didnt care about the power bills & had it on all the time, the other alternative is a wood burner, but i used to live in Chch on a hill & theres a yellow haze above the city in the morning after a cold night & there banning those,
there are ways around it, but its still not the same, be VERY careful when renting or buying, get some heaters & buy a dehumidifier

Originally Posted by GINGERSEAMONSTER

Old Dec 5th 2005, 9:49 pm
livewire

Well i don't know really.

We really only started doing it in the UK after the oil crisis in the 70s.

Fuel in NZ has been relatively cheap until quite recently and insulation comparatively expensive so I guess it has never been cost effective to do it. Also in the UK we have/had a system of grants which I do not think are available here.

Many houses are wooden and to insulate the walls means ripping of the weatherboard or gib lining, installing a moisture barrier and insulation then refitting the enclosure. A costly job. Plus many older houses are up on pilings and have suspended floors which can be draughty, if access is possible then underfloor insulation can be installed.

New houses have to comply with minimum insulation standards now.

Also a lot of people live in rented accommodation which tends not to have much money spent on it and little or no insulation.

Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:51 pm
Isle of Wight Chick

silvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant future

what pisses me off is the lack of radiators. it cost my family about $600 a month this winter just gone on electricity and that was for a few small heaters in every room of the house cuz it was just too bloody cold. i dont understand the mentality here. the winter morning and nights are so cold that you think they would try and do something about it- like shove central heating into houses!!
Old Dec 6th 2005, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Its coz they aren't paid enough to pay for the installation of CH in their houses nor have enough money to flaming well use it if they had!
Old Dec 6th 2005, 2:01 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

I was going to say
a) I think they're used to it. They go out to work and they think it woudl be silly to leave the house warmed all day to come home to but that's really because:
b) It costs so very much in electricity and you are billed monthly so unlike blighty there's no let up in bills in NZ! I wasn't working full time last winter and I would have HATED to come home to a cold house. Your home is supposed to be a sanctuary and protection from the elements.

c) You have to take the walls off and stuff it in. We've done it and it made a difference to warm and noise reduction by about 45 percent on the latter.
d) They just haven't grown up with it. Think of the days in Blighty when our grandparents used to have a tin bath in front of a coal fire and you're not far off.

Double glazing: I saw and ad for it on... telly! Got a quote. Our house 9k - average sized 3 bedder but absolutely no point if you don't insulate the floors, ceiling and walls too. Also, 9k was supplied and not fitted!!!!!!!

'Golden Homes' do build their homes with the option of CH and DG and that's the route I will be taking if we move again.

You will realise when you're here what we all mean.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 4:39 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by homesick harry
I haven't got a clue why people dont insulate & they dont, there's adverts on tv here all the time for insulation & stuff, cant remember seeing them at home.
They definitely do not insulate like we do in europe, i wish i knew why, money i think (kiwis are tight), a lot of the housing stock is old & whilst built quite sturdily, is not insulated & you can see the breath in front of your face in the winter in your house, then if you've got the place well heated, the walls start getting condensation on them. Theres no central heating either, so we got an oil radiator & put it on a timer plug, simple solution, but not the same as that toasty feeling you get at home & power can be expensive too.
My opinion is to inuslate as best you can (but not cheap), get a de-humidifier, you won't believe the moisture in some houses, & get timed wall heaters, or those timer plugs for electric heaters or something.
Do not let anyone tell you that insulation is standard over here, it isn't, nowhere near. Summer is ok, but winter can be tough, we said we didnt care about the power bills & had it on all the time, the other alternative is a wood burner, but i used to live in Chch on a hill & theres a yellow haze above the city in the morning after a cold night & there banning those,
there are ways around it, but its still not the same, be VERY careful when renting or buying, get some heaters & buy a dehumidifier
We have full wall ceiling and floor insulation in our house in Christchurch. Why have you chosen to be in a house that isn't?
Old Dec 6th 2005, 5:09 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple12
We have full wall ceiling and floor insulation in our house in Christchurch. Why have you chosen to be in a house that isn't?
I smell a troll around here

Old Dec 6th 2005, 5:29 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sky
I smell a troll around here

Not a troll, I have been following this forum for a number of months, and I do think I have a valid point.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 7:09 am
livewire

Apple12 I've just seen your comment about where you're from - Haverford West.

I lived in Pembroke for a few years - very similar to NZ in many, many ways but there are more welsh people here

Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

ezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really nice

NZers don't heat/isolate/double glaze their homes because they never have and therefore it doesn't occur to them. They think it is perfectly normal to live in a house with only the one room heated all winter while the bedrooms and bathrooms are 12 degrees. You can't cook decently because you can't see the food on the stove (too much steam rising because the air is so cold), the houses are soaking wet all the time with condensation, none of the windows close properly because of the water pouring down them all the time and, worse of all, NZers are obsessed with how they heat their homes--they talk about it all winter long. I visited last month, and every person I went to visit (six) immediately told me how they heated their homes. It was very funny, but sad.

I emigrated to NZ 15 years ago, and lived there for 12 years (Christchurch and Wellington). I would NEVER live in the country again--just the visit last month almost did me in. I froze the whole time and I couldn't believe I had lived like that for so long. You can say NZers are used to it, but I didn't see that--people were amazed and shocked that I used to jog in the winter, becaues of course 15 degrees is way too cold to go out in. They ARE cold, but just don't do anything about it. I am originally from Canada, and of course was used to very cold weather, and I just couldn't believe the complacency of the NZers who just put up with their tedious, wet, winter lifestyle.

I now live in Australia but in the tropics. I wouldn't live in southern Australia for the same reason--no heating in the houses and no insulation/double glazing. I am moving back to Canada soon and I can't wait--a decent, fun winter at last, with dry cold days, lots of snow, snug in my winter coat and boots, and then back home to a properly insulated house!!
Old Dec 7th 2005, 7:08 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezvanetree
NZers don't heat/isolate/double glaze their homes because they never have and therefore it doesn't occur to them. They think it is perfectly normal to live in a house with only the one room heated all winter while the bedrooms and bathrooms are 12 degrees. You can't cook decently because you can't see the food on the stove (too much steam rising because the air is so cold), the houses are soaking wet all the time with condensation, none of the windows close properly because of the water pouring down them all the time and, worse of all, NZers are obsessed with how they heat their homes--they talk about it all winter long. I visited last month, and every person I went to visit (six) immediately told me how they heated their homes. It was very funny, but sad.

I emigrated to NZ 15 years ago, and lived there for 12 years (Christchurch and Wellington). I would NEVER live in the country again--just the visit last month almost did me in. I froze the whole time and I couldn't believe I had lived like that for so long. You can say NZers are used to it, but I didn't see that--people were amazed and shocked that I used to jog in the winter, becaues of course 15 degrees is way too cold to go out in. They ARE cold, but just don't do anything about it. I am originally from Canada, and of course was used to very cold weather, and I just couldn't believe the complacency of the NZers who just put up with their tedious, wet, winter lifestyle.

I now live in Australia but in the tropics. I wouldn't live in southern Australia for the same reason--no heating in the houses and no insulation/double glazing. I am moving back to Canada soon and I can't wait--a decent, fun winter at last, with dry cold days, lots of snow, snug in my winter coat and boots, and then back home to a properly insulated house!!
Great post I'm sending you karma
Old Dec 7th 2005, 8:50 am
livewire

"A decent fun winter" I know exactly what you mean by that.

Old Dec 7th 2005, 10:32 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezvanetree

Weird isn't it?
See you posted that and you don't still live here so you have no need to say it's strange here in that respect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.