Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Housing bubble? Where's your money?

Housing bubble? Where's your money?

Old Nov 14th 2013, 5:57 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing bubble? Where's your money?

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
Ok. Some people may not have debt, some may not beable to work 3 jobs, some may be on a very low wage. Each circumstance is different. This is how it is for some. It's not negative thinking it is real life. Good luck to those who can afford property here. It's a lovely place to live.
I agree each circumstance is different. You will find it easier if you make a five year plan based on your priorities. It's not about NZ vs UK. Make a plan for your return to the UK. If you are going back to where you were you presumeably have a better idea of the financial picture.

Here are some stories that might inspire you: I have a single female friend who bought a house when she was 40. She works on the production line of a factory in Glen Innes. I know a couple who work in the same factory. He days, she nights (gets good money doing shift work and they don't have to pay for childcare). The own a house, have 4 children at school. Gotta be said life is not easy for them. A colleague of theirs who is also a single female in the factory is buying a her second house for her grown up son who is going to rent it from her.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 6:22 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, I should also add, some people prioritise being a stay-at-home mum to support their children instead of getting on the property ladder, or they make other sacrifices to do that. That's a great choice too. Buying a house is not everything. You may be better off renting and making those other lifestyle choices. It's a case of each person deciding what is important to them.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearskin
. There are apartments in Auckland you could happily live in - as a start - to buy for affordable prices.

No-one is pretending that is where you may want to end up long term, but if don't take that first step on a journey, then you stay standing still.
I have to disagree there. Apartments in Auckland are barely that, they are more like hotel rooms. And at 400-600K NZD, they can get stuffed. You can buy good quality 3-bed houses in a lot of major cities in the UK for less than 400K NZD.

In NZ, you are better off looking at other cities than Auckland.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
That depends on what you are looking at buying a property for.

It not only comes down to what money you've got, but also what you value or what you are prepared to live in and location. This is subjective and there is no right or wrong answer.

Some people want their dream home, some people want a 'do up', some people want to make money. Some might be looking to take a bit of each over time.

We could've bought a 3 bed in Mt Eden. Bought 2 apartments instead, thinking of the longer term 'investment'.

I suppose we're fortunate to have options and many people think were made to be living in an apartment in Auckland with a kid.

They can't seem to grasp the long game I'm looking to pay here - they see the here and now.

Perhaps this is part of the wider problem generally with money and debt. Some blow it all over the place not really considering the consequences until they realise they're up the proverbial creek.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

I have to disagree there.
No surprise there. I am positive about Auckland, you're not. It is what it is.

Apartments in Auckland are barely that, they are more like hotel rooms. And at 400-600K NZD, they can get stuffed.
You've contradicted yourself there. The cheap apartments are like hotel rooms in some cases, but the prices of those are not the prices you've quoted. A nice sized apartment in one of the most desirable blocks/locations might get to those prices, but not the ones aimed at people getting on the ladder.

You can buy good quality 3-bed houses in a lot of major cities in the UK for less than 400K NZD.
True, but they wouldn't be the main city, which is what Auckland is to NZ.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 10:25 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Surely ANYONE can afford to start small in NZ? There are family houses here for $30K. There are apartments in Auckland you could happily live in - as a start - to buy for affordable prices.

No-one is pretending that is where you may want to end up long term, but if don't take that first step on a journey, then you stay standing still.
I'm still searching for them houses that are only $30k. Where are they hiding? Probably in locations where there are no jobs.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Mataura has traditionally held the title of cheapest house to buy in NZ

Linky: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11118286

It is where Justin Marshall, the legendary NZ rugby player is from. In a fantabulous part of the country. Invercargill - further down from there - famously used to be the place where you get a free University degree.

I'm expecting cries of "I don't want to live in Mataura" now. And, I'm not trying to say that you do want to - just that there are choices for those who are prepared to make them. In fact, after breathing... everything you do is a choice.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

No surprise there. I am positive about Auckland, you're not. It is what it is.
Once again, I have to disagree. I am positive about Auckland - it is a great place to experience and live in. I am negative about the state of the housing market and lack of public transport infrastructure.

You've contradicted yourself there. The cheap apartments are like hotel rooms in some cases, but the prices of those are not the prices you've quoted. A nice sized apartment in one of the most desirable blocks/locations might get to those prices, but not the ones aimed at people getting on the ladder.
I understand apartment living in the city and immediate areas, but some of the outer burbs? Madness when there is all that space and land to build on.

Here are what I mean by hotel-like apartments for 400-600K.
a) http://www.realestate.co.nz/2123686
b) http://www.realestate.co.nz/2155887
c) http://www.realestate.co.nz/2150126

True, but they wouldn't be the main city, which is what Auckland is to NZ.
Wellington is the capital city of NZ. I know I am splitting hairs there... Auckland may have more of a commercial standing than Wellington, but "main" is a very loose term.

However, I'd argue that Manchester, Birmingham and Glasgow are at least on the same footing as Auckland, yet there is affordable HOUSES (not boxy apartments) within a 30 minute commute of those cities, oh and again... lots of public transport.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Here are what I mean by hotel-like apartments for 400-600K.
a) http://www.realestate.co.nz/2123686
b) http://www.realestate.co.nz/2155887
c) http://www.realestate.co.nz/2150126
You're making yourself look daft there. One of those is an apartment split into two - so you'd live in one and get rental from the other. Another looks like a 4-bed place, and the other one for $469K is as big as some houses - a palace of an apt.

Wellington is the capital city of NZ. I know I am splitting hairs there...
I didn't say capital... I said the main city in the country. You disagree?
Old Nov 15th 2013, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

You're making yourself look daft there. One of those is an apartment split into two - so you'd live in one and get rental from the other. Another looks like a 4-bed place, and the other one for $469K is as big as some houses - a palace of an apt.
Then we disagree - which is fine. For me, those places are not worth the money they are advertised at, nor would I consider them to be long-term places one could live or raise a family in.

Even if I did have the deposit to buy a $470K apartment, not for the life of me could I part with that amount of money for that.

I didn't say capital... I said the main city in the country. You disagree?
Yes I disagree that Auckland is the main city, in fact this is one of the major issues with NZ, trying to make it all about Auckland. Whilst Auckland is the biggest city, it is not the city where the government are, nor where key decisions for the country as a whole are made.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 5:16 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

.......... NZ, trying to make it all about Auckland. Whilst Auckland is the biggest city, it is not the city where the government are, nor where key decisions for the country as a whole are made.
John Key lives in Auckland. I rest my case.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I disagree that Auckland is the main city...

C'mon. This is utterly silly. And I write this as a former Wellingtonian, born and bred.

Auckland contains somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3rd of New Zealand's population, depending on where you draw its boundaries. It's as much New Zealand's main city as Dublin is to Ireland. What's more, it's by far New Zealand's largest international gateway for flights in and out of the country and New Zealand's busiest shipping port... and as can be seen by the number of head offices in the city, international music acts who come and only play Auckland and containing the only stadium that can host more than 50,000 people, it's the epicentre of the bulk of industry and commerce in the country, representing about 35% of the country's GDP, compared to Wellington's approx 14-15%.

Just as importantly, it also is taking huge steps towards a unitary authority and is slowly working towards a much-improved and integrated public transport infrastructure, leaving Wellington and its environs in its wake which are far more geographically-restricted in terms of being hemmed in by sea and hilly ranges, let alone the ongoing squabbling over local authority mergers. Wellington might be where Parliament is, but the largest number of MPs and seats are from the Auckland region.

As a Kiwi, when you spend some time away from the country and revisit after many years, ridding yourself of petty parochial city one-upmanship, Auckland seems like the only outward looking city, far more culturally diverse than anywhere else in the country. Many of my friends in Wellington endlessly ran down Auckland while comparing itself to the city, in the way that people in the UK often slag off London, but parts of Wellington, to my eye at least, seemed quite small and shabby. And tt's all very well for some to say to people to buy property in Invercargill to get a step on the housing ladder, but where are the jobs in Invercargill?

Saying that, although returning to New Zealand after over 20 years away, I felt the most comfortable in Auckland and less claustrophobic than in Wellington, I don't find it a particularly interesting city, but more akin to a sprawl like LA.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 7:13 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to disagree there. Apartments in Auckland are barely that, they are more like hotel rooms. And at 400-600K NZD, they can get stuffed. You can buy good quality 3-bed houses in a lot of major cities in the UK for less than 400K NZD.

Old Nov 15th 2013, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
John Key lives in Auckland. I rest my case.
you make a very fair point. just a pity john key doesnt spend more time here and he might see how appauling aucklands public transport is.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 8:35 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

you make a very fair point. just a pity john key doesnt spend more time here and he might see how appauling aucklands public transport is.
You would think he would get a clear view from his helicopter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.