Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Housing; I just don't get it.

Housing; I just don't get it.

Old Sep 12th 2006, 11:29 am
within Touching distance

GowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to all
Default Re: Housing; I just don't get it.

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Why Christchurch?
Why not?

We went for a tour to NZ in Feb and before we left, Wellington was our first choice to emmigrate to. So much so that we even arranged an interview for a job whilst we were there.

However, whilst Wellington is a great place, it was a little too hilly and windy for us to live there and we really enjoyed Christchurch and the South Island so CC it is. My wife has been offered a job already but as we have not sold the house, we have had to let the offer go.

Auckland is just too busy - traffic was a nightmare both times we were there. I need a city location as I work in IT and my wife is a Hospital Pharmacist so a decent sized hospital is also a must. Only real choices seen to be Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch
Old Sep 13th 2006, 7:50 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by thebears
If you are buying a section/property try to ensure it exceeds 600Sqm as a general guide this is the minimum able to be subdivided. Just thought I would mention it for the few who may consider this ie build their house at the back/front and build another to rent out or sell on later.
\

Jesus the way they cram em in is awful. Who wants to look at another house that close? It goes against privacy acts. Hardly anyone in NZ and they all choose to live on top of each other and if they can subdivide whoopee cos there's their super and hence the wonderful 'lifestyle' is borne!
By the way it depends on where you live. The council I'm under won't let you subdivide under 4.9 acres or something similar, but we're rural. No I didn't want to subdivide, my neighbours did. I actually got a house to live in. not an investment that the kiwis go on about so bloody much my ears are bleeding with hearing it.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 8:19 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumomonty
\

Jesus the way they cram em in is awful. Who wants to look at another house that close? It goes against privacy acts. Hardly anyone in NZ and they all choose to live on top of each other and if they can subdivide whoopee cos there's their super and hence the wonderful 'lifestyle' is borne!
By the way it depends on where you live. The council I'm under won't let you subdivide under 4.9 acres or something similar, but we're rural. No I didn't want to subdivide, my neighbours did. I actually got a house to live in. not an investment that the kiwis go on about so bloody much my ears are bleeding with hearing it.
Its good you are buying your home for yourself - but read my post again its not aimed at yourself its for people who are considering this as an option later or in the current period.

By the way if you leave all your hope for retirement in property only you may end up starving to death.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 11:39 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by thebears
Its good you are buying your home for yourself - but read my post again its not aimed at yourself its for people who are considering this as an option later or in the current period.

By the way if you leave all your hope for retirement in property only you may end up starving to death.
Believe me I know that last one well. But sometimes is there a choice? How do you put money away when you are not earning any? (not me)
thanks to everything in the world being sold off, privatised, baby boomers taking their lot (don't blame them but leaves sod all for younger generation) what's left to aim for? You just got to live for today if you can cos retirement is not going to be pretty for themajority. I see NZ turning into a rich enclave as teh world's problems spread. The gulf between rich and poor will only widen.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 8:01 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me I know that last one well. But sometimes is there a choice?
There is always a choice, sometimes it just requires more of an effort that people are willing to endure. Those that pissed around at school and during their twenties have themselves to blame, so too those who booze and smoke it away.

How do you put money away when you are not earning any? (not me)
Refer point above

[QUOTE=mumomonty]
thanks to everything in the world being sold off, privatised, baby boomers taking their lot (don't blame them but leaves sod all for younger generation) what's left to aim for?
Anything is achievable if you put your mind to it.

You just got to live for today if you can cos retirement is not going to be pretty for the majority. I see NZ turning into a rich enclave as the world's problems spread. The gulf between rich and poor will only widen.
The gulf is attitude
Old Sep 14th 2006, 8:26 am
Member of Mumo-land

[QUOTE=thebears]There is always a choice, sometimes it just requires more of an effort that people are willing to endure. Those that pissed around at school and during their twenties have themselves to blame, so too those who booze and smoke it away.

Refer point above

thanks to everything in the world being sold off, privatised, baby boomers taking their lot (don't blame them but leaves sod all for younger generation) what's left to aim for?
Anything is achievable if you put your mind to it.

The gulf is attitude

Attitude is the winner isn't it?
10% is what happens to you but 90% is how you deal with it.
I'm not good at dealing with it obviously.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sky
We had one of these heat transfer systems in our last house we just sold and it sucks heat out of the living area where the
woodburner is and dumps it around the rest of the house. It was fantastic and kept the rest of the house nice and warm

Back to topic

Sky, can you please tell me whether the pump was noisy on the heat transfer system? I was interested in getting one for our house, but the OH said he met a man in the pub, who knew someone who's dog told him they were noisy and they couldn't hear the TV - so that's where it ended

Are they that noisy?
Old Sep 14th 2006, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GowHow
Are mortgages expensive?
At 7.45% they are!