Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Housing; I just don't get it.

Housing; I just don't get it.

Old Sep 4th 2006, 12:31 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Housing; I just don't get it.

Originally Posted by sky
We had one of these heat transfer systems in our last house we just sold and it sucks heat out of the living area where the
woodburner is and dumps it around the rest of the house. It was fantastic and kept the rest of the house nice and warm

Hmmm, like it in theory - but does that mean your house ends up looking like an Asda Superstore?
Old Sep 4th 2006, 1:04 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hmmm, like it in theory - but does that mean your house ends up looking like an Asda Superstore?
LOL No all the pipes are in the loft space out of sight.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

My mate has underfloor heating in her new house...... sheer bliss.... dont normally like walking around without my slippers but I do in her house!
Old Sep 4th 2006, 3:10 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SarahB
My mate has underfloor heating in her new house...... sheer bliss.... dont normally like walking around without my slippers but I do in her house!
And I bet they'll never go back to not having the heating.
It's perhaps a case of what you've never had, you don't miss!?
Old Sep 4th 2006, 3:11 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Cor Sarah B, have I only done half the post you have? That's amazing.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Cor Sarah B, have I only done half the post you have? That's amazing.
Nah.... just shows how sad I am!! I tend to come on here whilst littlun is napping and all my housework is done......and of course I get online in the eves too sometimes as there is nothing on TV that I wanna watch. Wait til littlun arrives in January..... wont have much time to myself then will I? Better make the most of it whilst I can.

Anyway, mumo....hows its going down there? Tell you what this is the first real warm day we've had here in weeks..... its gorgeous!
Old Sep 4th 2006, 8:48 am
Member of Mumo-land

In reply to the title of this thread you started:

You won't 'get it' until you get here.

No one gets it until they're here.

I suppose one has to experience it for themselves to understand.

It's a bit like someone you meet explaining something that happened to you and you vaguely tune out and they say 'You had to be there!'.

My advice: come cashed up and build your own and be forceful with exactly what you want and get everything in writing.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 9:14 am
Member of Mumo-land

Nah.... just shows how sad I am!! I tend to come on here whilst littlun is napping and all my housework is done......and of course I get online in the eves too sometimes as there is nothing on TV that I wanna watch. Wait til littlun arrives in January..... wont have much time to myself then will I? Better make the most of it whilst I can.

Anyway, mumo....hows its going down there? Tell you what this is the first real warm day we've had here in weeks..... its gorgeous!
You sad? Never! you always sound very upbeat and look on the bright side. Me? I admit I take life far too seriously.

It wasn't bad here today. The dog actually asked to go and lay on his bed outside on the deck!

Same as usual otherwise :-)
Old Sep 4th 2006, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mumomonty
You sad? Never! you always sound very upbeat and look on the bright side. Me? I admit I take life far too seriously.

It wasn't bad here today. The dog actually asked to go and lay on his bed outside on the deck!

Same as usual otherwise :-)
I wish!!! I'm a pretty serious person and take far too much to heart so it upsets me. I annoy my OH as he says something in jest but I take it too seriously and get stroppy!! Oh Im allowed to be stroppy at the moment.... hormones!!

My cats did some sunbathing too. I think it got to 18 degrees today.... it really was lovely.... hope it doesnt get too hot before I pop!
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

catzohm is a jewel in the roughcatzohm is a jewel in the roughcatzohm is a jewel in the roughcatzohm is a jewel in the rough

Thanks eveyone for the replies, seems the way to go is to buy our own "bit of paradise" and build to our own spec (good job I'm a bricklayer/plumber). As for the heat pump systems I think they're called heat recovery over here. Haven't had anything to do with them yet but they're becoming popular with self-builders, probably take off with developers in the future given the way gas prices are going ( hope to be gone by then). Ground source heat pumps linked to under floor heating are an interesting concept, don't know if any kiwi builders have gone down that route but given the size of the plots over there it should be viable ( only running costs are the pump). Basically the whole of your ground floor is turned into a giant radiator, as the area is so large operating temperatures are much lower than a conventional wet system. The heat comes from pipes buried in the ground around your plot and is transferred to the pipes buried under your floor. Apparently in well insulated/built homes a constant 20deg C is possible however, colder areas may need a boost in winter from an alternative source (woodburners, etc). sorry for rambling on about Techy stuff!! Thanks everone.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 8:01 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jueinnz]
Originally Posted by Am Loolah
On a positive note its really not cold up here in Auckland, we just think it is. We live in a mordern style house 7 years old. open plan down stairs and we have no built in heating, we bought a gas fire and we use a bottle of gas a week ($20) and to be honest we have been 'cold' for about 1 week during the whole winter if you add it all up. Often when we are cold it can be fixed but putting on a thick jumper a pair of socks and cuddling up under a blanket on the sofa.

But then we always say...the year it snows in Auckland is the year we go back to UK!!!
I had a conversation with an Aucklander. It went like this.

Her: it's been really cold this winter.
Me: it's not that bad - not like the winters I'm used to.
Her: Oh, it WAS. Those three days were the coldest I've ever experienced!!!!!!

She was completely serious
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:53 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

The winters aren't that cold but the houses are because of lack of insulation and double glazing. Who cares what the temperature is outside as long as they are warm and cosy indoors.
I never even gave the weather a thought in the uk, Id just wrap up warm to go out but I draw the line at having to wear multiple layers indoors including a wooly hat and fingerless gloves
Its warmer out than in today in this rental we've taken short term but not much we can do about a rental, the house we build will have lots of insulation and DOUBLE GLAZING and a nice woodburner.
My last house we just sold we got it all sorted out and nice and warm but it still had single glazed windows and the amount of condensation was ridiculous when it was cold outside.
Folk tell you to get a dehumidifier when you tell them that but that just means using more electric and the power is very expensive when you're earning an average kiwi wage and have a family also to feed and clothe on the pittance most employers pay.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 1:38 pm
within Touching distance

GowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to allGowHow is a name known to all

First of all - very frustrated at not yet having sold our UK house. Not one offer since May. We have swopped agents to try and get more viewings and he has assured us the price is correct.

Anyway - NZ housing. We are hoping to relocate to Christchurch, just posted our completed residency forms with all passports, birth certificates etc. (Not sure how long it takes for that to go through). assuming we sell our house for something like the asking price and the currenct rate stays as it is, we should have around $500k to spend.

I am a bit concerned about this talk of having no money. What are you classing as an average NZ salary? Are mortgages expensive? We have been looking at properties around the $600k price as I woudl want to keep investing some money into my property.

All in all really looking forward to emigrating - cannot get away from the M62 quick enough
Old Sep 12th 2006, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GowHow
First of all - very frustrated at not yet having sold our UK house. Not one offer since May. We have swopped agents to try and get more viewings and he has assured us the price is correct.

Anyway - NZ housing. We are hoping to relocate to Christchurch, just posted our completed residency forms with all passports, birth certificates etc. (Not sure how long it takes for that to go through). assuming we sell our house for something like the asking price and the currenct rate stays as it is, we should have around $500k to spend.

I am a bit concerned about this talk of having no money. What are you classing as an average NZ salary? Are mortgages expensive? We have been looking at properties around the $600k price as I woudl want to keep investing some money into my property.

All in all really looking forward to emigrating - cannot get away from the M62 quick enough
Why Christchurch?
Old Sep 12th 2006, 11:03 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

We were shocked when we first got here and saw how all the houses in Auckland are on the tiniest little plots and the amount of sub-divisions is amazing.... that even happens out here in Beachlands. The new houses tend to be pretty large but then have only a slither of garden that runs around them. I suppose Auckland is like a lot of cities all over the world..... developers/builders wanting more money.... lets see how many houses we can put on this small piece of land.

When we bought last month we were determined to get a full size section... ours is 1012 sqm which is 1/4 of an acre. In the 1930's (or 1920's I cant remember now) Beachlands was split into quarter acre sections.... there are quite a few still that large but many have been sub divided. Down near Sunkist Bay there are 4 sections that must be the smallest in the village... I think they are 500sqm each or there abouts.... asking a packet for em too!!!

I do not know what the housing/sections are like in other parts of NZ.... sorry.
If you are buying a section/property try to ensure it exceeds 600Sqm as a general guide this is the minimum able to be subdivided. Just thought I would mention it for the few who may consider this ie build their house at the back/front and build another to rent out or sell on later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.