Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Houses and Weather - North and South

Houses and Weather - North and South

Old May 21st 2009, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Houses and Weather - North and South

I mean rather sharp with his comments.
Old May 21st 2009, 2:55 pm
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light

I am glad you see this too. I got the sharp end of his tongue yesterday and others were being pretty dismissive of it! I didn't ask for it, it just came out of nowhere!!
Old May 21st 2009, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Yes, your comments were completely justified, I believe.
Old May 21st 2009, 3:00 pm
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you Whitesand, have given you some karma!
Old May 21st 2009, 11:41 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
..but include the cost of the visit to the Doctor !
Doctor's visit $29 if they are part of one of those little schemes.

Script $12 or whatever it is.

Heck, I can't recall what I paid
Old May 22nd 2009, 2:25 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

$15 for the doctor and $3 for the prescription ( with 2 repeats)
Old May 22nd 2009, 2:33 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by whitesand
I mean rather sharp with his comments.
probably took him all night to think up what to put on this thread though
Old May 22nd 2009, 2:56 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand
Browner, you had my husband in stitches with your comments!

So lapsed kiwi is male! That's a surprise as I think he is a bit nippy for a bloke.
Blimey - and I had you down as a bloke too! On reflection I can't think why....
Old May 22nd 2009, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nope, definitely female. Come to think of it, you are a bloke aren't you?
Old May 23rd 2009, 9:28 am
Just Joined

SianEvans is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lizaberry
Hi, have posted on here recently about settling in the north or south as my OH's work opportunities could lend themself either way. What I was trying to gauge was what the weather and houses are like in both areas. What I understand so far is that the south is more like the UK but colder in the winter, whilst the north has a more tropical like climate. Does anyone have anything they can add to what I know? Also, are the houses built any differently north and south to reflect the differing climates? I have heard people talk about the damp in the north, regarding condensation on the windows in the mornings. I know that they are predominantly wooden structures. What heating is generally installed or is there none?

Any information would be welcomed. It might help me paint a picture of which area we may be better suited to. I wouldn't mind the cold so long as there is adaquate heating but somehow I don't think thats the answer I'm gonna get!!

Thanks for now, LB
Hello, i arrived in NZ in January and as you can imagine the weather was lovely. I was living in Kaitaia and the first thing i noticed was that there was no centrel heating - yes very naive but that was the last on my mind. At the time it was very hot so never worried until winter turned!!! Now - living in Auckland, the house is freezing, i have looked into all sorts of alternative heating but because moving here cost an absolute fortune (even though the £ is meant to be better than the NZ $) i just cant afford the best types. As i write i am sitting in a hat, scarf, 3 tops, jean and thick socks, i am so glad i dont have anywhere to go tonight, oh and i also (according to a UK nurse have very thin blood?) feel the cold easily!!! My partner is a Kiwi and when living in London he was wearing shorts in November (how i dont know) but he is finding it cold now. Maybe he got too used to central heating - i am trying to welcome it - i think i need to harden up!! (it is painful though, when you cant feel your hands!!) Any recommendations will help - yes hot water bottles help for a certain amount of time but not long term.
Old May 23rd 2009, 9:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi LB

To get back to your original post. We live in Gulf Harbour on the Whangaparaoa Peninsula, north of Auckland. Our house is approx 6yrs old & is freezing when it's cold The 'wise' builder put underfloor heating in the tiled areas of the house only, ie. The bathrooms, hall & utility room!!!! We have never used this system. Luckily, our house gets a lot of sun & heats up that way . We use a couple of oil-filled electric radiators & a dehumidifier. These help but the former are expensive to run. We are planning to have heat pumps fitted soon & when we can afford it we shall have double glazing put in.
The worst days/nights are when it rains all day & the house never heats up plus there's the dampness in the air. I feel miserable then! Can't wait to have heat pumps fitted.

Our friends live on the opposite side of GH, on "Coronation St" as it's known locally . There house is smaller than ours but has the advantage of mains gas. It's a much warmer house.

On the plus side, winters are shorter & milder than the UK so it's a short amount of time to be endured.
Old May 23rd 2009, 9:25 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SianEvans
Hello, i arrived in NZ in January and as you can imagine the weather was lovely. I was living in Kaitaia and the first thing i noticed was that there was no centrel heating - yes very naive but that was the last on my mind. At the time it was very hot so never worried until winter turned!!! Now - living in Auckland, the house is freezing, i have looked into all sorts of alternative heating but because moving here cost an absolute fortune (even though the £ is meant to be better than the NZ $) i just cant afford the best types. As i write i am sitting in a hat, scarf, 3 tops, jean and thick socks, i am so glad i dont have anywhere to go tonight, oh and i also (according to a UK nurse have very thin blood?) feel the cold easily!!! My partner is a Kiwi and when living in London he was wearing shorts in November (how i dont know) but he is finding it cold now. Maybe he got too used to central heating - i am trying to welcome it - i think i need to harden up!! (it is painful though, when you cant feel your hands!!) Any recommendations will help - yes hot water bottles help for a certain amount of time but not long term.
Hi there. You must get at least one dehumidifier - this gets rid of the damp which makes it feel much colder. Keep curtains on the cold side of your house closed during the day so any sun that comes in will heat up the house and be 'trapped'. Buy some thermal curtain lining and even if you don't have a sewing machine just cut it to the size of your curtains and attach it with velcro or buy extra heavy thermal curtains (but they're expensive). If it's your own house get a heat pump - you can buy them on 'terms'. If it's a rental, can you get out of the lease and get into one that has a log burner at least? My OH is a Kiwi too - used to wear sandals when it was snowing and had completely forgotten how cold it was inside.
Old May 23rd 2009, 9:42 pm
Newbie to NZ

Thanks for that Vitalstatistix. As I may have said already, reading everyone's posts has been a really useful insight and I am glad I started the post, hoping that it is helping others share their experiences - good and bad, too!

I read your reply on my 'karma and stars' post too - You cheeky monkey!!

LB
Old May 23rd 2009, 9:46 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Well we must be the lucky ones, because our house built in the 70s is warm enough, we dont get any damp, some condensation on our bedroom windows when cold, we have a Rinnia Energysaver 556 gas heater that heats our front room, kitchen, dining etc which is open plan, the bedrooms get a bit chilly but we have a portable gas heater for the hall and when it gets extremely chilly. a heat light in the bathroom, and thermal curtains and its adequate enough, of course nothing like when you have central heating, but at least we dont have to sit around in hats and scarfs

http://www.valleypower.com/energysav...hannelid=FROOG
Old May 23rd 2009, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lizaberry
Thanks for that Vitalstatistix. As I may have said already, reading everyone's posts has been a really useful insight and I am glad I started the post, hoping that it is helping others share their experiences - good and bad, too!

I read your reply on my 'karma and stars' post too - You cheeky monkey!!

LB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.