British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Houses, Units, Townhouses ... choices choices!?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/houses-units-townhouses-choices-choices-684414/)

Aliwales Sep 7th 2010 12:12 pm

Houses, Units, Townhouses ... choices choices!?!

Just been nosing on trade me at accommodation, there appear to be loads of units available, which seem to be "cheaper" than renting houses etc. Are units in NZ similar to a divided plot, like a semi in UK? or are they more like big fancy flats lol ?? Curiosity needs addressing so I can attempt to guess at how realistic living in certain areas are :D

sue1234 Sep 7th 2010 1:34 pm

Re: Houses, Units, Townhouses ... choices choices!?!

Originally Posted by Aliwales (Post 8831683)
Just been nosing on trade me at accommodation, there appear to be loads of units available, which seem to be "cheaper" than renting houses etc. Are units in NZ similar to a divided plot, like a semi in UK? or are they more like big fancy flats lol ?? Curiosity needs addressing so I can attempt to guess at how realistic living in certain areas are :D

Hi Airwales, units, well thats what they build either in your front garden or back garden (known as sections) however zoom in on the trademe map, that should give you some idea eg 6/34 bla bla bla street, means, there is 6 units built at 34 bla bla bla street, ( where at one time one house use to stand alone), some detached, some semi ....some even more, depends where your heading but zoom in on these maps, will help. Good luck. sue

Am Loolah Sep 7th 2010 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by sue1234 (Post 8831851)
Hi Airwales, units, well thats what they build either in your front garden or back garden (known as sections) however zoom in on the trademe map, that should give you some idea eg 6/34 bla bla bla street, means, there is 6 units built at 34 bla bla bla street, ( where at one time one house use to stand alone), some detached, some semi ....some even more, depends where your heading but zoom in on these maps, will help. Good luck. sue

As Sue has said, there will be several uints on one site, usually they are attached, so if you get a middle one perhaps not so good. They can be single level or storied, just depends. In my area units tend to be small and older.

Townhouses will usually be newer and will be attached but usually double storey.

If a house is a "B" or "C" then it usually means that there's another 1 or 2 on the section, with "A" usually being the front/road side property. So "C" could have 2 infront of it and be down a shared drive.

Clear as mud really!:lol:

CarolineSwan Sep 7th 2010 11:00 pm

When we first arrived here we rented out a townhouse(single level, dont see doubles really in inglewood though plenty in NP) our address was 66c cos we were at the back of what was one a half acre section. we were lucky as 66b hadnt been built yet so was heaps of room. smaller garden but was still a beautiful house(we were first in it so was lucky) there are plenty of detatched units here too, but with no garden to talk off, but if its only for a short while imsure you would be fine

Just google every house you see to get an idea of whats on offer

Aliwales Sep 8th 2010 9:53 am

I am fortunate that my good friend emigrated a number of years ago and we will be partaking of their hospitality when we first arrive, giving us ample time to find property and schools ..... but they live quite a distance from HB (maraetai) so I think i will be spending lots of time driving upon arriving! :)