Houses in NZ

Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:30 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Houses in NZ

I agree.

But you've already touched on the reason why it's not more widely spread - the outlay isn't reflected in the value of the house. It increases the "warm and fuzzy" factor as one agent described it to us but you won't see any return other than a reduction in heating costs and an increase in your enjoyment of your home.

Even house builders seem to be of the opinion that neither heating nor double glazing is needed in NZ, but they tend to be the ones who've never lived in a country where it's been the norm.

Now that electricity prices have increased so much it will be interesting to see if that frame of mind persists.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Houses from turn of 1900 – approx 1940s are almost certainly unlikely to be insulated.

Do not buy a stupid boxy gas heater that has the gas bottle in the back of it. Yes they will warm up your house and make it toasty. But there is a reason that those kinds of heaters have been banned in just about every 1st world country on Earth. Besides the safety issues they will increase condensation (asthma, mould, blah blah blah).

Ok this may seem stupid but why? I realise the safety issurs with people gassing them selves from the fummes and not waking up etc.....but surely if you get it checked and make sure you turn it off before you go to bed????

Our house is only 8 years old and open plan and has no heating we have a gas heater and we find it quite economical to run and it heats the whole house...(kinda)no condensation that can't be dealt with. What else would be a solution? With out instaling a hot air system?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:28 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's partly the fumes, and partly that for every litre of gas they use they put two litres of water into the air.

Last edited by RobClubley; Feb 4th 2008 at 5:56 am.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
I think it's partly the fumes, and partly that for every litre of gas they use they but two litres of water into the air.
It is specifically stated in our lease that we can't use those but the reason given is causing dampness so I guess that must be on account of the two litres of water you mention .
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

ledge is on a distinguished road

Nobody has mentioned the fact that the government are wising up to this and (slowly) making double glazing and better insulation compulsory on new builds: http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA0705/S00101.htm
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

So is it cheaper to buy the dehumidifiers in UK before arriving in NZ or are things like that and electric blankets cheaper over there?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by teebrown
So is it cheaper to buy the dehumidifiers in UK before arriving in NZ or are things like that and electric blankets cheaper over there?
Nothing is cheap in NZ. I lied, maybe car insurance and petrol so the Rednecks can drive round in 4x4s and have dirty big engines in clapped out cars.
Buy it all in the UK.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:08 am
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Nothing is cheap in NZ. I lied, maybe car insurance and petrol so the Rednecks can drive round in 4x4s and have dirty big engines in clapped out cars.
Buy it all in the UK.
This has something to do with the fact that NZ don't use salt on the roads .. this means the chassis doesn't corrode as in the UK. Thus there's more vehicles with clapped out engines!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

daveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the roughdaveandjue123 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Nerine
. It increases the "warm and fuzzy" factor as one agent described it to us but you won't see any return other than a reduction in heating costs and an increase in your enjoyment of your home.

Let be honest, estate agents will say whatever is needed at that moment of that day, I know I've worked withthem all my life. Unless NZ agents are different???

Even house builders seem to be of the opinion that neither heating nor double glazing is needed in NZ, but they tend to be the ones who've never lived in a country where it's been the norm.

I agrre there!! I've spent alot of time in Ireland since I was 3 (have family over there). Years ago they thought insulation, double glazing and central heating was a waste of time and money, now they wouldn't buy a house without all 3, even the older generations!!
Now that electricity prices have increased so much it will be interesting to see if that frame of mind persists.
may take some time though
Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by teebrown
IMO these are things that are better bought in NZ. Electric blankets....trying to remember here..... around 25/30 dollars for a single, 40/50 for a double. De-himidifiers 250/300 new, substantially less on Trademe. The Warehouse probably has the best price for them and if something goes wrong just take it back for a refund or replacement.

Free standing gas heaters, there have been quite a few house fires and childrens' clothing igniting caused by these things and I'd be scared to have one in my house....faulty valves and connections, cracked hoses, they need to be serviced every year to be safe, fitted with the proper guards....just too unsafe IMO.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by daveandjue123
may take some time though
Absolutely. We had double glazing, heating and all round insulation put into our our house and it didn't count for a thing when it came to either the Registered valuation or the for sale price.

It would be great if grants were available for this sort of thing, solar heating etc.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:13 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

We're building in the countryside and went for soundproof pink batts throughout, expol underfloor heating and sited it in the sun (not hard on a flat 4 acre paddock with only two trees, lol!). We didn't opt for central heating (bought a lovely woodburner and ducting to the bedrooms) or double glazing as we felt both were unnecessary here in Hawkes Bay. I once read that the sunshine is the most squandered resource in NZ. the cost to insulate well was only a couple of Ks done as part of the build

When we moved here I really thought we'd buy a villa given that I love the period feel, but one winter in a rented one was enough ...
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
We're building in the countryside and went for soundproof pink batts throughout, expol underfloor heating and sited it in the sun (not hard on a flat 4 acre paddock with only two trees, lol!). We didn't opt for central heating (bought a lovely woodburner and ducting to the bedrooms) or double glazing as we felt both were unnecessary here in Hawkes Bay. I once read that the sunshine is the most squandered resource in NZ. the cost to insulate well was only a couple of Ks done as part of the build

When we moved here I really thought we'd buy a villa given that I love the period feel, but one winter in a rented one was enough ...
Hi DJ, houses always an imotive subject in NZ. We have a 1991 build, owned it 3 years. Its not been without problems but we love it for its location alone. We have loads of glass and condensation is..or was a HUGE problem. No DVS for us as we have a flat roof with no void...but we have heard its GREAT. We are getting the place double glazed..amazingly affordable...it will make a huge difference re condensation and warmth..we have about 75 large windows.

We started out with euro style CH, fitted by Savona who service the north isle..they did a great job (a few teething probs..but all were sorted)..would strongly recommend them.

This did not sort our heat issues..the house was still very cold...that was because of all the humidity from the condensation, cooking et al, its very hard to heat damp air so I found out.

It took a long time to dry the house, we run 5 dehumidifiers during winter, always have the odd window ajar and always run the fans in our bathrooms and over the cooker...all the latter will help reduce condesation and water vapour in your house...you need to keep the air circulating..thats why DVS is so good.

We use no gas for heating (other than the CH and hot water)..we have a gas fire but do not use it for the reasons mentioned above. We now have a very dry, relatively warm home. The dehumidifiers run at night only when we have cheap leccy. We have also invested in a log burner of the radiant variety..utterly awesome and the best thing I have ever bought!!

We understand building a home is betwixt $1500-2000++++......so the Goldens home offer sounds too good to miss!!! Have you thought of a straw bail house? I think I heard once that you can build an eco house from old tyres!!!!

Good luck!! PS if you do buy a house....DO NOT FAIL TO GET A FULL WRITTEN APRAISAL FROM AREPUTABLE HOUSE INSPECTION CO>>>>>>>AND A Land Infromation Memorandum (LIM) from your local council....both are utterly and totally ESSENTIAL.. Average inspectino is $500 and the LIM about $400...they will either assure you its good or let you know the faults so you can get leverage on the price. Guess who didn't get either? Alas I had no one to advise me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And never forget..caveat emptor.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:59 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Another great post from Genesis
Tell it like it is and we all benefit - thanks mate!
Karen
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:11 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have to say that my Caveat is her Emptor!

My view?

BUYER BEWARE!

And if that's not google enough, then buyer beware - all the time, eveytime.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.