Houses

Old Apr 29th 2007, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

meercat is on a distinguished road
Default Houses

We are in the process of applying for visas. Are there any good estate web sites? Are Harcourts expensive estate agents? Can't seem to see anything decent under NZ$650,000. Can you get a decent 4 bed house on the outskirts of Auckland for circa NZ$550,000? Any information would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 10:54 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houses

Originally Posted by meercat
We are in the process of applying for visas. Are there any good estate web sites? Are Harcourts expensive estate agents? Can't seem to see anything decent under NZ$650,000. Can you get a decent 4 bed house on the outskirts of Auckland for circa NZ$550,000? Any information would be much appreciated.
Oh meercat....you are about to enter a world of pain....

Can I be the first person to say the word 'shed' to you? You'll be hearing it a lot from other people.

Quality housing is one of the biggest complaints about NZ.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of websites to get you going

http://www.realestate.co.nz/

http://www.open2view.com/
Old Apr 29th 2007, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Avid
Oh meercat....you are about to enter a world of pain....

Can I be the first person to say the word 'shed' to you? You'll be hearing it a lot from other people.

Quality housing is one of the biggest complaints about NZ.
Thanks Mr Happy. You've cheered me up.....not! Why are they so expensive when people don't earn mega bucks? How many times your salary can you go up to? Don't really want to sell our souls to the Devil.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 12:05 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mr Happy. You've cheered me up.....not! Why are they so expensive when people don't earn mega bucks? How many times your salary can you go up to? Don't really want to sell our souls to the Devil.
It's the great mystery of Kiwi life...but people seem happy out here to take on a big mortgage and spend their whole lives paying it off. There are even these strange mortgage-loans you can have were you can use part of the mortgage for everyday shopping and stuff....it's all very odd.

A bit like asking British people why they think it's ok to be under constant camera surveillance the minute they leave the house.....

Do you have property in the UK? Don't sell it, rent it out if you are coming over here.

Also, Auckland is quite pricey....other areas are a fair bit cheaper.

Last edited by Avid; Apr 29th 2007 at 12:13 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Fair point - not only are they on the streets, they are in our offices too!

Thanks for the info.
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

natpryce will become famous soon enough

Try these few...
www.trademe.co.nz
www.propertystuff.co.nz
www.realenz.co.nz
The best would be www.realestate.co.nz as it has most listings from all companies.

Good luck!
Old May 2nd 2007, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by natpryce
Try these few...
www.trademe.co.nz
www.propertystuff.co.nz
www.realenz.co.nz
The best would be www.realestate.co.nz as it has most listings from all companies.

Good luck!
Great thanks I'll have a look at those.
Old May 3rd 2007, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid

Do you have property in the UK? Don't sell it, rent it out if you are coming over here.

What bizarre advice! Property is expensive here (iyo), interest rates are high, so the advice is not to make the most of your UK capital to get a good house and reduce your debt?

I would only follow the above advice if you are moving to NZ half-heartedly and want to set yourself up for a move back to UK in a few years. The best chance you have of being happy here comes partly through living in a nice house, in a nice neighbourhood and with a manageable home loan. Check out the posts of returnees they almost all either struggled financially, disliked their house or disliked their neighbourhood.
Old May 3rd 2007, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

And to answer the original question, plenty of OK houses for around $550k in Auckland suburbia. Not palatial and not beachfront, but perfectly OK.
Old May 3rd 2007, 2:45 am
Banned

AlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
And to answer the original question, plenty of OK houses for around $550k in Auckland suburbia. Not palatial and not beachfront, but perfectly OK.
for the average kiwi earning a pittance that may as well be $150K.

Trouble with housing market is that prices are too far out of whack with income.

I think the bubble is going to burst soon.
Old May 3rd 2007, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice

The current Kiwi housing market is a bit like the UK one in that ftb are a fast disappearing breed (due to prices) and noone really knows what will happen next.... we have much higher interest rates here too.

Also, for all the 'shed' comments, you'll find lots of people who LOVE the houses here - i know that we do (having done lots of 'do-ups' in the UK) - wooden houses are great! We put new french doors into a wall the other day- done in 2 hours!

I also love the look of them! Sure they're 'ventilated', but you can always fix that with some insulation and a bit of work, i don't really understand the problem, I have to say - but each to their own eh? Personally I hate all the new brick and tile houses going up everywhere, but i know that plenty of people love them and that's great - it's what leads to interesting housing here in NZ, unlike the rows/estates of houses all looking exactly the same that you find in the UK.

I worked in a Real Estate office until recently, and tbh Trademe will be your best bet for real estate - all the real estate co.s advertise on there anyway, and so do all the private sellers.

Good luck!

SF
Old May 3rd 2007, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AlbieLittle
for the average kiwi earning a pittance that may as well be $150K.

Trouble with housing market is that prices are too far out of whack with income.

I think the bubble is going to burst soon.
Just like it did in UK in 2001, 2003, 2003 etc. Oh no, it didn't now come to think of it. But loads of people said it was going to.
Old May 3rd 2007, 3:45 am
Banned

AlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the roughAlbieLittle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Just like it did in UK in 2001, 2003, 2003 etc. Oh no, it didn't now come to think of it. But loads of people said it was going to.
give it time. It has to! The kiwi dream of home ownership in the current market is all but over. The problem is that migrants are attracted to NZ because it is cheap to buy here, but not for kiwi's.
Old May 3rd 2007, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AlbieLittle
give it time. It has to! The kiwi dream of home ownership in the current market is all but over. The problem is that migrants are attracted to NZ because it is cheap to buy here, but not for kiwi's.
A lot of kiwis I know (professional people in their 30s) are mortgage-free or nearly so, and/or have investment property. And these aren't expats. So I'd argue that the dream of property ownership is a reality for many.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.