House Values

Old Dec 6th 2011, 10:58 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default House Values

Just thought I'd share this as it's sort of amusing.

Our 5 year fixed rate mortgage ended so I called into the bank to see whether it was worth changing anything, and also to cheekily ask for a little more to sort out our blue 1950s bathroom suite.

According to their online valuation we have precisely $200 of equity in our house.

Hahahahaha

So after 5 years and $70k spent on improvements to the house, not to mention $130k or so in interest basically we own nothing.

You've got to laugh.

We have no intention of moving so the value's not that relevant but it would be nice to think we actually own a portion of it.
I guess we own the letterbox, maybe a bit of the front fence.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House Values

Originally Posted by RobClubley

Our 5 year fixed rate mortgage ended so I called into the bank to see whether it was worth changing anything, and also to cheekily ask for a little more to sort out our blue 1950s bathroom suite.

According to their online valuation we have precisely $200 of equity in our house.

Hahahahaha

So after 5 years and $70k spent on improvements to the house, not to mention $130k or so in interest basically we own nothing.

You've got to laugh.

We have no intention of moving so the value's not that relevant but it would be nice to think we actually own a portion of it.
Wow! You own your own letterbox, lucky you
Old Dec 6th 2011, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Hahahahaha

You've got to laugh.

Better than OH's friend in Auckland, they have -200,000!!!!!!!
I reckon ours will be about -20,000, we'll find out next year when our 5 year fixed is up as well.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Their online valuation will of course be crude - could it be based on rateable value even? Improvements don't necessarily add value (program probably doesn't take them into account at all) but they should make it easier to sell.

At least the interest rates are lower now than 5 years ago.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Hahahahaha

You've got to laugh.

Join the club if you will pardon the pun. We have spent up very large on our house. I doubt it's current valuation mirrors in any way what we have spent on it which is around $150k (add on the soon to be new improved roof and that makes it around $200k). And we have added all value adding stuff like better gardens, c/heating, double glazing (53 windows!!), new kitchen, big double glazed conservatory and one new bathroom. Still it was a labour of love and je ne regret rien!

Just worked out if we sold up tomorrow (presuming we could) we would be about $60k out of pocket..after all that work and seven years!!!

Last edited by Genesis; Dec 7th 2011 at 2:43 am.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Heard a piece on the radio yesterday that said NZ homes are aproximately
20% over valued and that we are now on the brink of a US style colapse / readjustment
so your $500,000 home is potentially gonna drop to around $400,000....not good
Old Dec 7th 2011, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Justcol
20% over valued and that we are now on the brink of a US style colapse / readjustment
Even if that happens those who bought in NZ with Sterling more than 3 years ago would still be ahead

$500,000 in 2007/8 = £180,000

$400,000 in 2011/12 = £200,000

Of course, this theory doesn't work if you do end up with negative equity
Old Dec 7th 2011, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

only works if you plan to return to the uk
Old Dec 7th 2011, 5:29 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: House Values

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Their online valuation will of course be crude - could it be based on rateable value even? Improvements don't necessarily add value (program probably doesn't take them into account at all) but they should make it easier to sell.

At least the interest rates are lower now than 5 years ago.
Very true. :-)
Old Dec 7th 2011, 8:31 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You're doing that bathroom on a budget then Rob.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

Genesis ~ I really hope you guys have a window cleaner
Old Dec 7th 2011, 8:32 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the nature of Kiwi homes is such that you might need some equity in order to pay for maintenance but otherwise this is not an issue for individuals unless they are downsizing or selling up without buying in this market is it? (as others have said)

As a nation we need lower property values to be productive and keep the lid on inflation without using interest rates as a tool, a raher blunt instrument that ruins our exports and makes property ownership even more expensive.

Once the government gets the idea that we need to tax assets fairly then we'll all be happy that our homes are lower in value than they were.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by florabundi
Genesis ~ I really hope you guys have a window cleaner
Yes, me. That was not counting the 30 or so in the conservatory!!!!
Old Dec 9th 2011, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Justcol
Its bad for those who will be in negative equity, but only if they want to sell up OR raise more money on the property. But we all need a roof over our heads and the only time you lose any money is when you sell up. So effectively its a loss on paper until that point. Generally I think a fall in house prices is a good thing overall. I cannot say I would be overly worried if my house fell by $100k (as I am used to losing large sums of money ha, ha,) so long as everything else goes down accordingly we are all in the same boat. The only people to lose out would be those cashing in the equity in their houses. Houses are waaaaaaaaaaaaay to expensive IMO and a drop in prices is good for the next generation don't you think?
Old Dec 9th 2011, 8:59 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
........Generally I think a fall in house prices is a good thing overall. I cannot say I would be overly worried if my house fell by $100k (as I am used to losing large sums of money ha, ha,) so long as everything else goes down accordingly we are all in the same boat. The only people to lose out would be those cashing in the equity in their houses. Houses are waaaaaaaaaaaaay to expensive IMO and a drop in prices is good for the next generation don't you think?
exactly - but to be honest most trades profit from the feel good factor of house price inflation as does the home improvement industry.
however the real winners are the Aussie banks who give us mortgages and take that interest overseas, which also has recently conspired to give us another credit downgrade and increase the costs of NZ govt and industry borrowing, another loss to all of us.
So high house prices are a lose-lose, unless you want to make money from the property ladder as we know some do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.