Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

House Swaps Between Expats

House Swaps Between Expats

Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default House Swaps Between Expats

Hi - I have been looking at house swap websites and thought it might be a good idea to have a list of people who are willing to house swap for a weekend or longer in NZ. You know sometimes you get a cheap grabaseat for somewhere and you think if only I could go and it wouldn't cost much to see the area. We could do one between Islands or interisland as it is such diverse scenery. Just putting the feelers out to see if anyone would be interested. Would make the hols a lot cheaper anyways. Haven't mentioned this to the OH yet!! But say someone in North wanted to visit south and vice-versa this could be good. We could do a poll I suppose or some sort of thread where everyone puts their house on who is interested. Any ideas anyone?
Old Jun 4th 2008, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House Swaps Between Expats

I like the idea! Shouldn't be exclusive to just NZ though... i've always wanted to go to Hawaii!!! Are there any expats in Hawaii?
Old Jun 5th 2008, 5:20 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Excellent idea, we're in Bay of Plenty not far from the beach (200yrd as the crow flies), but we'd have to wait until building work completed.

Keep in touch PM me towards summer
Old Jun 5th 2008, 11:31 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by howden40
Excellent idea, we're in Bay of Plenty not far from the beach (200yrd as the crow flies), but we'd have to wait until building work completed.

Keep in touch PM me towards summer
I tried this before as we wanted to go to the skifields in the SI and thought someone might like a home near the beach in the NI it ended up being a swap shop for a threesome thanks to someone on here!! Scared a lot of people off. Bizarrely. Would have scared more off if they knew her!

I'll add our place to a "list" though I think it's a great idea.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

Great idea Shirl, ive only been to Welly for a day and would love to see N.I.
This year out of the question for me as i got family coming over,but next year i would love to see more of NZ

Helen
Old Jun 6th 2008, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hjmilligan
Great idea Shirl, ive only been to Welly for a day and would love to see N.I.
This year out of the question for me as i got family coming over,but next year i would love to see more of NZ

Helen
Yes it would be good wouldn't it. I think we are meeting for coffee nexxt week are we? Be nice to meet you - I don't think you are that far from me.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I tried this before as we wanted to go to the skifields in the SI and thought someone might like a home near the beach in the NI it ended up being a swap shop for a threesome thanks to someone on here!! Scared a lot of people off. Bizarrely. Would have scared more off if they knew her!

I'll add our place to a "list" though I think it's a great idea.
Oi! I'll add your place to the list, too!
Old Jun 7th 2008, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a good idea - I housesit for friends in OZ when they go on holiday and I look after their dogs and cats. I get free accomodation they get free pet care!
The other idea I'd like to put forward is B &B with reduced rates between BE members. When I lived in India we had an agreement that we wanted to show hospitality to friends and visit each other other but we weren't earning much money so we had a set amount that we all charged - it was more of a token amount than a commercial rate. So I'd like to suggest a similar idea for BE memebers. I have a room that is empty all the time and daughters room empty when she's at college that I'd be happy to have people use and join us or not for meals. I am not a B & B and I'm not touting for business. Just offering to put people up occasionally if they are passing through BOP.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by helinuk
I think it's a good idea - I housesit for friends in OZ when they go on holiday and I look after their dogs and cats. I get free accomodation they get free pet care!
The other idea I'd like to put forward is B &B with reduced rates between BE members. When I lived in India we had an agreement that we wanted to show hospitality to friends and visit each other other but we weren't earning much money so we had a set amount that we all charged - it was more of a token amount than a commercial rate. So I'd like to suggest a similar idea for BE memebers. I have a room that is empty all the time and daughters room empty when she's at college that I'd be happy to have people use and join us or not for meals. I am not a B & B and I'm not touting for business. Just offering to put people up occasionally if they are passing through BOP.
Great Idea - some people would feel more comfortable being there when guests are there. I had thought about that too. We are here on our own rattling around a 4 bed house with 3 spare rooms too. We could also maybe offer the same hospitality to newcomers just off the planes and charge them for B & B - to be agreed mutually and give them time to find their feet for a couple of days and point them in the right direction for rentals, purchases, areas etc. No we are not a B & B either just be nice to help people out now and again.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 6:44 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shirl
Great Idea - some people would feel more comfortable being there when guests are there. I had thought about that too. We are here on our own rattling around a 4 bed house with 3 spare rooms too. We could also maybe offer the same hospitality to newcomers just off the planes and charge them for B & B - to be agreed mutually and give them time to find their feet for a couple of days and point them in the right direction for rentals, purchases, areas etc. No we are not a B & B either just be nice to help people out now and again.
When we finish the alterations to the house, we'll have space. I've also often thought it would be nice to offer newbies coming to our area a roof until they find accommodation. Excellent idea shirl