Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

House swap North East England for New Zealand

House swap North East England for New Zealand

Old May 5th 2006, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future
Default Re: House swap North East England for New Zealand

Originally Posted by AustinWong
Would you be up to having a chat so I can get the low down? I cannot tell you how hard it is to get a very clear picture of the UK. If you are, you could send me your contact number via Private message.

Cheery

Lawrence
PM me with the sort of things that your trying to clarify and will see if I can help.
Old May 6th 2006, 12:02 am
Just Joined

royalsfans is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Herm]

Live in Katikati - came from Newbury in Berks but spent most of my life around the Bracknell/Wokingham area.

sorry had to interrupt. I was Born in ascot. Dragged up in wokingham /bracknell. and am now looking to move to NZ poss Thames area !
sorry had to say it .! been looking at your postings and this one sent shivers down my spine !! just goes to show, huge planet, small world!! :scared:

Jem
Old May 6th 2006, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

AustinWong is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok I will... A bit of a novel so will be a while.

Looking after the children at moment. Folding washing and about to do the lunches.

So will get on to it after that.

Cheers

L
Old May 6th 2006, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Hi Jem,

I would be please to help you with any queries about Thames and surrounding areas through to Hamilton and Auckland.

Send me a PM if you have queries.
Old May 6th 2006, 12:07 am
Just Joined

royalsfans is an unknown quantity at this point

Civil Engineering.

Currently working for Environment Waikato. My Zone goes from Thames to Waihi.

Are you still up to play with cost of living in the Uk and general carry on's?

Lawrence

Hi austin,

We live in the north east Midlands of the uk,

Would be happy to assist in any way we can. Cost of living, house market etc, give me some spefics and i'll go hunting for info for ya !!

Jem
Old May 6th 2006, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Jem,

I will do when I do my novel fo Herm. I might as well post it publically so someone else may possibly get the benefits of the information.

So why do you want to come to Thames?

And what work are you plannnig to do?

Lawrence
Old May 6th 2006, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

Well that is the laundry done...on to lunch
Old May 6th 2006, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

Hi Herm,

Apart from it not being best to hand out phone numbers willy nilly, I think is good you suggested I write down what I needed. I do not think I could verbally say what I need as clearly.O

Ok so here is my story.

I love New zealand..great place though politics are a bit pathetic at times.

My wife and I have always wanted to visit Italy, France and Greece for a good holiday say for a month.

Looking into it we could not do this without huge costs, $30,000NZ +++ to go with children.

We went to Malaysia earlier this year for a family reunion and could not afford to tack on the Italy, Greece and France bit. I was born there and left when I was 14 to NZ. Mum is British from Scotland and dad chinese.

It was a bit of an anticlimax coming back from Malaysia because it was back to same old life and we decided we wanted a bit of an adventure.

We looked at going to Dubai with my civil engineering background, with the hope to make some big money to bring back to NZ to boost our finances and to get ahead abit. Also the life experience was a big part of it.

I really could not find anything definitive on getting to Dubai.

So back to the drawing board.

My friend from England suggested trying for England. Which was a good jumping board to the places in Europe we wanted to go to.

So that is the plan now. We will go for 2 years and stay in China for 3 months on the way back. Or we will spend 1 year in England and 1 year in Italy and 3 months in China on teh way back. Someone I know has offered for us to stay at their holiday home in Pinnacale (Umbria) for one year at 200Euro a month.

On top of this with our professions we thought we could perhaps come back with a few pounds in our back pockets or at the very least status quo with a life experience to boot.

I have had various feedback from those living in England or are from England.

Some say great idea go for it...others say you are mad and it is a terrible place. Not safe for children and women. Too expensive and that we would struggle financially.

Well, abit about ourselves.

I am from Sarawak, East Malaysia (use to be called Borneo) and my wife a New Zealander. Though I have the last name Wong, I am relatively European looking as mum was Scottish and do look a little mixed to some. Amazing how while living in Malaysia I got hassled for being white and in NZ for being asian...hahaha.

My wife is a 4th Generation New Zealand with English and Irish ancestry and has a profession in Mental Health, she also has a cardiology background. We have 3 children who wil be ages 4, 9 and 11 when we go in April/May next year 2007.

We live in a comfortable and very tidy home. My wife is an exceptional house keeper ( I am rather shocking but I do my bit least I suffer her wrath).

We live modestly I guess but do not go without too much. We don't spend a lot on luxuries or big ticket items. We are happy to buy secondhand goods.

We don't try to keep up to the Jones's or have to wear the latest fashion. Infact my wardrobe is rather sparse, more by choice because I don't like clothes shopping.

My research has lead me to believe that the way to go for us is to be based in North . We chose North East because I understand it is drier. Rain drives me nuts.

I need to get a good feel of the minimum income (in pounds before tax) we can live on to maintain a modest comfortable livestyle. We don't plan to live in a city, preferably a town or village.

Also, we hope to buy just one car.

I need also to know about costs the average english person faces and rough budgets. For food, power, gas, school, doctor, dentist and everything. Maybe if you have a family yourself you can show me your budget in England so I can see how it is.

How much is fish and chips?

I do no need to now about touristy facts or costs.

We will most likely be renting at this stage so will deifinitely like to know how this all works in England.

I need as much detail as posible to build a picture.

You may have an opinion about other parts of England worth living. I am wondering how costs in these areas would compare to the North. I also need to know for the places you suggest to live, which areas to consider and areas to avoid.

Either way I need to make sure I live away from the cities. Large crowds are too much for this small town boy.

Work wise, I think we can find work in most parts of England.

I am also wondering how much we should bring with us to get partially established.

How old are children when they go to school. What are the schools like? Are they all terrible? Is it possible to find good public primary schools. I hear bullying is bad in English schools.

I just need the full picture. I have only got bits and pieces so far.

We really want to try and make this work, so if you have any suggestions to help us make it work that would be great.

Thanks

Lawrence

Last edited by AustinWong; May 6th 2006 at 3:47 am.
Old May 6th 2006, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lawrence
good luck with your information gathering - will come back to you a bit later with some of our thoughts - we left the UK 6 Months ago so should be able to share some facts with you - did wonder whether you've also posted this on the back to UK forum as there may well be quite a few who could advise on moving to UK.
Vicki
Old May 6th 2006, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Joshlin
Hi Lawrence
good luck with your information gathering - will come back to you a bit later with some of our thoughts - we left the UK 6 Months ago so should be able to share some facts with you - did wonder whether you've also posted this on the back to UK forum as there may well be quite a few who could advise on moving to UK.
Vicki

Thanks very much and what a good idea.

Regards

Lawrence
Old May 6th 2006, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Herm]

Live in Katikati - came from Newbury in Berks but spent most of my life around the Bracknell/Wokingham area.
I lived in Newbury for a bit myself. I remember pushing a couple of blondes up the parking lot at the hotel. Their little red car had a flat battery and they needed a push up the hill and back down. After three tries we asked the blonde driver is she had the key turned on, to which she replied, "No, do I have to?"
Old May 7th 2006, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

glasgae is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again
Where is Thames in relation to Auckland? Is it commuting distance?
Glasgow is only rough in some areas - I live out of the city in a suburb near the hills. It is, however, *very* wet!! It probably rains more than anywhere else in Britain.

Old May 7th 2006, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by glasgae
Hi again
Where is Thames in relation to Auckland? Is it commuting distance?
Glasgow is only rough in some areas - I live out of the city in a suburb near the hills. It is, however, *very* wet!! It probably rains more than anywhere else in Britain.

A good 1 hour to the start of Auckland and another half hour to the city centre from there. What is your profession? I an tell you about work availability in the local area.
Old May 11th 2006, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Tricky266 will become famous soon enoughTricky266 will become famous soon enough

Anyone interested in a house swap for a year or two?
Shame you not looking at North West England - I lve in Kendal (Edge of the Lake District) and looking to move to NZ

Richard
Old May 11th 2006, 4:26 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from it not being best to hand out phone numbers willy nilly, I think is good you suggested I write down what I needed. I do not think I could verbally say what I need as clearly.O

Ok so here is my story.
Hi Lawrence,

Firstly I would like to say I think your idea is great and like most things could be such a wonderful experience or bloody lousey depending on many things including where you live, the neighbours you get etc etc. Coming from Thames, you may find the weather in the North pretty poor. It can rain a lot and is quite a bit cooler than the South. More importantly, it can be very 'grey'. I'm originally from the Lake District but now live in commuting distance of London. Like you, I'm not a city person! So do lots of research on your location.

I am British, living in the UK (small village on outskirts of town in Surrey - South-East) with my kiwi husband and our 2 children. England can be a fantastic place to live. We think so and love where we live. I know everyone's reality can be so different but when I read some of the posts on this forum re: the UK, it doesn't sound like the same country that I live in in the slightest. So please draw your own conclusions from all the information you receive and research you do.

It is very expensive where we are (housing) but we are in a village location 2 miles from a beautiful market town with a population of 35000. London is 50 minutes by train and OH works in the city. Schools are brilliant, bullying and other social problems very minimal. This will vary a lot by location in the same way that one could not compare Onehunga with Parnell for example.

Fish and chips costs £4-£4.50 depending on whether you have small or large chips. Sadly I have never had fish in the UK to compare with the gorgeous fish to be had in NZ though. A McDonalds happy meal for children is £1.99, adults £3.35.

Personally I think food is a bit cheaper here compared to NZ, so we spend at least £100/week for a family of four (excl. alcohol & entertaining) if we are being good and buying cheaply (Tesco/Asda) compared to say $250 NZD. Could spend £200 though and this also depends on where you shop and whether you eat the really cheap brands or like quality meats (that really are 'meat') for example. You need a large store to minimise expenditure here, so consider where your nearest large supermarket is if you are in a remote area in the NE of England! Eating out is better value in NZ. We would easily spend £50 for lunch for the 4 of us at a family restaurant or pub.

Monthly outgoings would include:

Rent/mortgage - could be very expensive
Council tax (ours is £200/month)
Elec/gas (£120)
Phone (£50)
Car - fuel, insurance (compulsory here!), annual road tax, MOT & servicing
Clothes
Petrol is at c.£1.99/litre. My tank now costs almost £50 compared to less than £40 only 18 months ago.

Cars - really depends! A family banger could be yours for about £1000. I would budget at least £5k for a secondhand car. New people carriers are c£20-30k.

Can't think of much else to add. Travel to Europe can be incredibly cheap if you are flexible with timings and destinations (ie there are loads of offers) BUT increase ridiculously in school holidays. We nearly went to Egypt for a week of sun at Easter (only other place with virtually guaranteed sun would be Dubai - very expensive) and the holiday was a bargain at £1000 each for the week (late deal). The following week it would have been £22k instead of £6500 - we were a party of 6. Having said this, I really think you will be able to visit lots of places without breaking the bank and is a major positive I see in your idea so wouldn't want to deter you here.

Hope this has been of some help. Go for it - you'll probably have such a fantastic life changing time! Carmen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.