Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

House still not sold [part 2 ]

House still not sold [part 2 ]

Old Jun 17th 2010, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House still not sold [part 2 ]

Well said BEV.
Could nt put it better myself
Old Jun 18th 2010, 7:31 am

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

difficult this one I guess.

I for one have never read a 'danjones1' housing post before so can only go on what has been put here.

Ok maybe the 'being greedy' bit might have been a bit harsh but most of the other points I thought were reasonable and well founded in some degree of reality.

Being called 'greedy' isnt exactly earth shattering or I would say warrants a ' naughty schoolboy telling off' compared to some of the two and fro's that go on un punished here!

Fact is the price has been dropped by 50k already which to me says it was to high for the market and who can tell if it isnt getting any offers still maybe too high still.

How far do you drop? Again a hard thing to work out but again as a family of six we managed with a UK profit of just 25kpounds to move here set up and survive (6 years now).

If you are making less than that and that isnt enough for you then fair enough as each family is different.

And lastly Im sorry but I do think most house sellers if they are honest are looking to make a good profit in order to make the move comftable as by definition if they were not bothered about profit to move here theyd all be selling at cost price.

So I say lets give the guy a break as not everyone has been reading or posting on here for years and so posting a similar view to one that you have had before is in my book relevant.

At the end of the day how many posts are there on here with answers to the same questions that have been asked again and again by new posters, what should we do just not answer or post our thoughts because they haven't changed.

I think not
Old Jun 18th 2010, 12:34 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pestman
difficult this one I guess.

I for one have never read a 'danjones1' housing post before so can only go on what has been put here.

So I say lets give the guy a break as not everyone has been reading or posting on here for years and so posting a similar view to one that you have had before is in my book relevant.
Hi pestman, I know you wrote a disclaimer above, but if you've got a few moments just read the rest of the posts by dan jones and see if you still want to give him a break.

Back in the old days of the interwebnet we would label someone like that a "troll". In this case I don't think he's doing it on purpose he just can't help himself.

Calling someone greedy isn't a crime, it's just an opinion. But doing so based on no knowledge whatsoever is rude and insensitive in my opinon. Of course that's not a crime either!

WP
Old Jun 18th 2010, 2:50 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhingingPom
Hi pestman, I know you wrote a disclaimer above, but if you've got a few moments just read the rest of the posts by dan jones and see if you still want to give him a break.

Back in the old days of the interwebnet we would label someone like that a "troll". In this case I don't think he's doing it on purpose he just can't help himself.

Calling someone greedy isn't a crime, it's just an opinion. But doing so based on no knowledge whatsoever is rude and insensitive in my opinon. Of course that's not a crime either!

WP
Old Jun 18th 2010, 4:48 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Just so some of you don't get sucked in, we have been here before with DanJones1 and other peoples house sale difficulties. He will have to admit that house prices, or maybe it's more true to say house sellers are a one-eyed, bug bear, hobby horse of DanJones1. He is fond of stating that a house seller is being greedy or that they are somehow whining if their property does not shift. In fact he will state that every time. For some reason he seems to think that all house owners ask unrealistic prices when it comes to selling their property. He also seems to think that house owners are always looking for gilt edged profit to make their lives nice and easy and cosy .

Of course, we all know that the above isn't true for most all of us but that doesn't stop him making those posts every single blummin' time.

I've said this to DanJones1 before , this time last year actually, but I'll waste my time and say it again..

Think about the tone of your posts please DanJones1.

Then don't read the threads. You have no idea if any of these people are being unrealistic with their house prices . Calling people greedy when you do not know their circumstances is not on.

Your sweeping generalisations can cause offence and upset. Please think about this when & if you wish to discuss this subject..

Bit like wading through treacle again!!???
Old Jun 18th 2010, 7:48 pm

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

well as I said the 'greedy' bit might be a bit harsh but to be honest I think he makes some valid points with the most part of the post.

I have no need to read through his previous posts as for me it's a reply to this particular one.

I for one (as im sure many know!) have my own opinions and thoughts on many things and see no problem with posting them again and again as such topics re rear there head. Is that being a troll or just having an opinion you believe in?

Of course we all at times might cross the line and hands up by me to that, but in this 'greedy' post when I take out that sentiment I still think his points although maybe not popular do have some teeth to them.

At the end of the day it's 'sticks and stones' and the choice to reply or ignore a view is just a matter of doing that.

happy re posting,trolls and all!
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:00 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pestman
well as I said the 'greedy' bit might be a bit harsh but to be honest I think he makes some valid points with the most part of the post.

I have no need to read through his previous posts as for me it's a reply to this particular one.

I for one (as im sure many know!) have my own opinions and thoughts on many things and see no problem with posting them again and again as such topics re rear there head. Is that being a troll or just having an opinion you believe in?
In answer to your question. No. Posting deliberately insulting one liners across a variety of forums and threads just to annoy people is a troll. You're nothing like one. You have an opinions that you seem to believe and are prepared to explain them if asked. As far as I'm aware you don't just post in order to annoy people. I appreciate your opinions even where they might differ from mine.

WP
Old Jun 19th 2010, 12:18 am

fair enough.

Old Jun 19th 2010, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Just so some of you don't get sucked in, we have been here before with DanJones1 and other peoples house sale difficulties. He will have to admit that house prices, or maybe it's more true to say house sellers are a one-eyed, bug bear, hobby horse of DanJones1. He is fond of stating that a house seller is being greedy or that they are somehow whining if their property does not shift. In fact he will state that every time. For some reason he seems to think that all house owners ask unrealistic prices when it comes to selling their property. He also seems to think that house owners are always looking for gilt edged profit to make their lives nice and easy and cosy .

Of course, we all know that the above isn't true for most all of us but that doesn't stop him making those posts every single blummin' time.

I've said this to DanJones1 before , this time last year actually, but I'll waste my time and say it again..

Think about the tone of your posts please DanJones1.

Then don't read the threads. You have no idea if any of these people are being unrealistic with their house prices . Calling people greedy when you do not know their circumstances is not on.

Your sweeping generalisations can cause offence and upset. Please think about this when & if you wish to discuss this subject..
Might I add that many of danjones posts come over like he knows way more about anything than everybody else. Is smug the word I am looking for? Maybe arrogant too.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 8:37 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm not getting into a character assassination of Danjones or anyone else, comments on comments become a self-fulfilling prophecy in so many instances on the interweb.

Personally I feel the raising of danjones "history" was probably more detrimental to the thread than the tone of his comment but that is just IMHO (and of course his comment wasn't directed at me).

I expect every one of us has juggled the house sale price/vs timing/vs capital release trio and the priorities and necessities of each of the trio are different for each family and probably change over time in any case...
Old Jun 19th 2010, 11:02 pm
Near the outer fringe

For a slightly different perspective on this topic, I have found house selling so stressful in the past that I've decided to rent it out this time. I know there are pitfalls in doing that and at some point I will have to bite the bullet anyway, but I've done it before, so just keeping that I get reasonable tenants.

No joke, but for me the thought of selling the house is more stressful than going to live abroad. I don't envy any of you going through the process

WP
Old Jun 20th 2010, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Well I'm not getting into a character assassination of Danjones or anyone else, comments on comments become a self-fulfilling prophecy in so many instances on the interweb.

Personally I feel the raising of danjones "history" was probably more detrimental to the thread than the tone of his comment but that is just IMHO (and of course his comment wasn't directed at me).

I expect every one of us has juggled the house sale price/vs timing/vs capital release trio and the priorities and necessities of each of the trio are different for each family and probably change over time in any case...
I'd agree. Dan's views espoused above may not be popular, but essentially he's right, the reason a properties are unsold after a while is because they're priced too highly, at the right price it will find a buyer.

If vendor isn't prepared to meet the market price, then they have a two options, hold or try and rent it out.

Obviously it's not easy decision, and there are so many factors involved. If you're staying in the same market, it would be of little concern - a lower price and the place you're looking at will have moved lower too, wait for a higher price, and other properties will move the same way.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:42 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: House still not sold [part 2 ]

We will be putting our house on the market in September. I don't know what it's market value is because the estate agent hasn't valued it and told us. We will be guided by what the estate agents says. We can't arbitrarily decide what to market it for. How does greed come into it ? It may sell well because of the county we live in and no it's not Beckingham Palace in Altringham, Cheshire !
Old Jun 20th 2010, 2:09 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
We will be putting our house on the market in September. I don't know what it's market value is because the estate agent hasn't valued it and told us. We will be guided by what the estate agents says. We can't arbitrarily decide what to market it for. How does greed come into it ? It may sell well because of the county we live in and no it's not Beckingham Palace in Altringham, Cheshire !
Try one of the sites (Halifax used to have one) that will apply the local regional house price index movement since you bought, input what you paid and it will give you a value. Similarly check up what other similar houses locally have sold for (as opposed to been offered at), that will give you another data point.

Estate agents do both of these, often their "intimate knowledge of the market" is a myth. We had two value ours within a few pence, we achieved +45kGBP over their valuations (which was also +20k over their market prices), having had 7 viewings and 3 firm interested. Went for the asking price within two weeks - and no estate agent involved so saved their 6k fee too. Now we had some special factors which I knew would come into play, nether agent understood or would take those into account.

Alternatively start high and work your way down (quickly) if you get no interest.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the positive advice you have given me,
I started this thread to simply see if any of you were in the same boat as us, I did nt expect such a strong debate !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.