Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

House still not sold [part 2 ]

House still not sold [part 2 ]

Old Jun 15th 2010, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default House still not sold [part 2 ]

Hi
Thought I d carry on the thread as wondered if anyone here is in the same position as us.
PR granted but can t go due to house not sold. Looked into renting but so many pitfalls it really is nt worth it financially
So we have now dropped the price again We were so excited when our passports were returned and now feel so disheartened were starting to say if we go to New Zealand not when we go.
Jo
Old Jun 15th 2010, 9:35 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House still not sold [part 2 ]

Oh hang in there. I know how you feel, I remember thinking our house was never going to sell.Its such a limbo land time as you cant move on until you have sold. I was devastated when it looked like our house sale was going to fall apart (after waiting for ages) then all of sudden it turned around and we had exchanged contracts in a blink of an eye.

Have a word with a few estate agents in your area to see what is selling and at what price. We went on high to start with but came right down in the end (£35k).

Good luck to you you get that sale soon

Dewb
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

mumbee2 has a spectacular aura aboutmumbee2 has a spectacular aura aboutmumbee2 has a spectacular aura about

We have sold our house and have Visa all in the last 2 months but know job as yet - this could mean us being homeless at the end of July - that is scary.

So hang in there and it will all come together in the end.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

We were in the same situation. It took us 18 months to sell and a drop of £100,000 in that time That was this time last year. I then had to bring the kids over by myself and leave hubby in the UK for 3 months to work out his notice so that we were here before our visas ran out.

But now we've been here 8 months and love it. Hang on in there - remember to try and to make sure your house is the best at the price you are asking and hassle estate agents all you can. Try moving agents is another tactic which can sometimes work.

Good luck and hopefully you'll be able to follow your dream soon.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

JackandE is a jewel in the roughJackandE is a jewel in the roughJackandE is a jewel in the roughJackandE is a jewel in the roughJackandE is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by yjx1nt7
Hi
Thought I d carry on the thread as wondered if anyone here is in the same position as us.
PR granted but can t go due to house not sold. Looked into renting but so many pitfalls it really is nt worth it financially
So we have now dropped the price again We were so excited when our passports were returned and now feel so disheartened were starting to say if we go to New Zealand not when we go.
Jo
Hang on in there I am sure there is light at the end of the tunnel....we sold our house for what we bought it for 2 years ago whilst all other houses in the area were struggling...one thing that may help is put a private ad in your local paper and high light all the good points of your house....we tried this on a other house move and I was surprised at the response. Just keep yourselves occupied then you wont dwell too much on the situation...good luck
Old Jun 16th 2010, 2:33 pm
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

Drop your house to an affordable price then it will sell. A house is only worth what someone might pay for it. Dnn't be so greedy.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 3:05 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danjones1
Drop your house to an affordable price then it will sell. A house is only worth what someone might pay for it. Dnn't be so greedy.
Lot of (potentially painful) truth in that statement, values are fixed by buyers, not sellers in the end. Perhaps look at cutting the estate agent out of the process if you can, we´ve saved 6k doing that.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:54 pm
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

Good advice, cut out the middle man, get the house on the internet, tons of sites out there.

I don't mean to be nasty. I am just cheesed off with all these people whinging about their house sale woes while asking unrealistic amounts.

Govt about to make it harder to get mortgage, prices still all time high v wages, increased supply soon as landlords sell before CGT hike - go figure!

I'd get rid sooner than later, prices will fall off a cliff soon and you'll never be able to live your dream!

Cut the price and ditch the greedy estate agent!
Old Jun 17th 2010, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

As you don't know what they are asking I think you are being a bit unfair about anyone being greedy or asking for unrealistic prices. It could be that if they drop their price then they won't have the money to come over anyway. I don't think they are whinging, any more than any other people on here that make a post but that's only my opinion and everybody is entitled to one.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 4:50 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danjones1

I don't mean to be nasty. I am just cheesed off with all these people whinging about their house sale woes while asking unrealistic amounts.
Bit unfair as you dont know what they are asking or if they are being unrealistic. As they have dropped price for a second time (see original post) I think they probably are being very realistic.

Dewb
Old Jun 17th 2010, 7:58 pm

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

tough one this.

six years ago we suffered a similar problem with a story to long to re do now.

we ended up flying out having borrowed money to survive out here in NZ which gave us 6 months cover for the uk mortgage. Lucky for us the house sold 3 months after we left so although that ment a return trip for me we did it.

My thoughts are this.

For us there wasnt any doubt that we were coming to NZ.If that had ment selling the house to one of those 'we will buy it at a set price' companies then so be it.That option would have cost us tens of thousands of dollars as they rip you off big time.

We laid entire seven bed house in new carpet installed a new kitchen and installed central heating in all 15 rooms (ok so I did plumbing/heating myself but it took hundreds of pounds and time to do) so we know about what is involved in selling a house.

End of the day point is this.

we had a midwifery job to come to at $55k year thats all.

We would have all but given the house away to come out here.At the end of the day we are a family of six and for me getting out here was something we HAD to do before the eldest of our 4 daughters decided against it.It was a lifestyle choice.

We saw that coming here for 'US' was a must and for that reason decided that all we needed was enough for a deposit on a house here so roughly 20k uk pounds. As long as we had that then we would come.

As it was we sold and ended up out here with 30k uk pounds which back then was $75k. for us that was like winning the lottery!

So we got here have a $320k mortgage and all the debt trimmings we had back in the UK. However we are here and for 'US' It was worth loosing alot of 'what we thought we would get' profit and settled for the 'what we needed to sell for price'.

of course thats our story dont know your position or needs/wants/job situation etc.

But I agree a house will sell at a price a buyer cant afford to miss out on so wether its auction with a really low reserve,the internet or even an estate agent if the price is low enough there are heaps of investors who will buy as thats how they get rich buying from those desperate enough to sell.

The UK is about to go tits up big time real soon so selling will only get harder.

So do you REALLY want to come? Only you can answer that.

good luck
Old Jun 17th 2010, 9:10 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewb09
Bit unfair as you dont know what they are asking or if they are being unrealistic. As they have dropped price for a second time (see original post) I think they probably are being very realistic.

Dewb
Asking price vs level of interest is the only measure, unfortunately reasons for selling, need to achieve a certain price, dropping the price etc etc means nothing, if you are getting no interest then the price is (still) too high.

The market is harsh and, as I said, deal prices are on the whole set by buyers...
Old Jun 17th 2010, 9:44 pm
Scorchy legs

Originally Posted by simonsi
Asking price vs level of interest is the only measure, unfortunately reasons for selling, need to achieve a certain price, dropping the price etc etc means nothing, if you are getting no interest then the price is (still) too high.

The market is harsh and, as I said, deal prices are on the whole set by buyers...
Completely agree, if the viewers are not coming in then the price is too high. Do not know if that is the case here though

Dewb
Old Jun 17th 2010, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for all your advice we shall definitely take it on board.
We have dropped our house twice now to a total of £50.000 so "danjones" we are certainly not being greedy !!
The whole point of moving to NZ is not the financial rewards but to spend more time as a family, so yes we have to to make some sacrifices and if that means reducing the house sale, so be it. But how far do you go and support a family of 5 independently and be able to live your dream once you ve arrived ?
Old Jun 17th 2010, 11:48 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Just so some of you don't get sucked in, we have been here before with DanJones1 and other peoples house sale difficulties. He will have to admit that house prices, or maybe it's more true to say house sellers are a one-eyed, bug bear, hobby horse of DanJones1. He is fond of stating that a house seller is being greedy or that they are somehow whining if their property does not shift. In fact he will state that every time. For some reason he seems to think that all house owners ask unrealistic prices when it comes to selling their property. He also seems to think that house owners are always looking for gilt edged profit to make their lives nice and easy and cosy .

Of course, we all know that the above isn't true for most all of us but that doesn't stop him making those posts every single blummin' time.

I've said this to DanJones1 before , this time last year actually, but I'll waste my time and say it again..

Think about the tone of your posts please DanJones1.

Originally Posted by DanJones1
Then don't read the threads. You have no idea if any of these people are being unrealistic with their house prices . Calling people greedy when you do not know their circumstances is not on.

Your sweeping generalisations can cause offence and upset. Please think about this when & if you wish to discuss this subject..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.