Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

House rents Negotiable?

House rents Negotiable?

Old Oct 18th 2008, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

elsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the rough
Default House rents Negotiable?

Hi guys, we are due to arrive in Cambridge in Mid November, would love to get settled in a house before christmas and will be renting. Our question is, are the rental prices open to negotiation like house prices? I notice that there is a huge difference in prices in the area and we thought that if we we said we would rent long term we could possibly get the price down a bit. Some rent is better than no rent and all that!
Any ideas?
Old Oct 18th 2008, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: House rents Negotiable?

Originally Posted by elsieB
Hi guys, we are due to arrive in Cambridge in Mid November, would love to get settled in a house before christmas and will be renting. Our question is, are the rental prices open to negotiation like house prices? I notice that there is a huge difference in prices in the area and we thought that if we we said we would rent long term we could possibly get the price down a bit. Some rent is better than no rent and all that!
Any ideas?
I would say yes,rent is definitely negotiable especially like you say you are willing to commit to a longer term, rental..

we have been with our same landlord since we came her 15 months ago,and have now negotiated the rent down twice..in todays financial climate a long term commitment is worth more to a landlord..and the worst they can do is say no...gl...Jacky
Old Oct 18th 2008, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

elsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: House rents Negotiable?

Originally Posted by garryhg
I would say yes,rent is definitely negotiable especially like you say you are willing to commit to a longer term, rental..

we have been with our same landlord since we came her 15 months ago,and have now negotiated the rent down twice..in todays financial climate a long term commitment is worth more to a landlord..and the worst they can do is say no...gl...Jacky
Thanks garryhg!

Will give it ago!