British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   HOUSE RENTALS IN AUCKLAND (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/house-rentals-auckland-492143/)

Tanya64 Nov 6th 2007 9:51 pm

HOUSE RENTALS IN AUCKLAND

Hi,

We are here looking at New Zealand and will move to Australia to evaluate what is on offer in both countries and if we will leave the UK to move over.

Hubby has a job offer in IT based in Auckland and we have been viewing some of the rental houses in Auckland. We have looked at what we heard to be the best suburbs of Auckland. Mission Bay, St Helliers, Remuera and Kowi.

The rentals we have looked at vary from $500 a week to $800 a week.

I am in shock!

Some of these houses are not fit to be lived in, they reek of damp and most of them look like they haven’t seem any attention since their last decoration ( maybe not a good choice of words!) 20 years ago.

Is this acceptable? Haven’t seen any houses with double-glazing or central heating and to be honest most of the rentals we looked at felt cold inside. Are there no minimum standards in New Zealand?

I ask (politely) that we can keep the focus of the response to my question.

Not sure if I will ever adapt to the shoes off at the door thing. Is that because of the mud?

Thank you so much for all the replies on my previous question.

mcuddy1 Nov 6th 2007 10:06 pm

Re: HOUSE RENTALS IN AUCKLAND

Originally Posted by Tanya64 (Post 5520662)
Hi,

We are here looking at New Zealand and will move to Australia to evaluate what is on offer in both countries and if we will leave the UK to move over.

Hubby has a job offer in IT based in Auckland and we have been viewing some of the rental houses in Auckland. We have looked at what we heard to be the best suburbs of Auckland. Mission Bay, St Helliers, Remuera and Kowi.

I am in shock!

Some of these houses are not fit to be lived in, they reek of damp and most of them look like they haven’t seem any attention since their last decoration ( maybe not a good choice of words!) 20 years ago.

Is this acceptable? Haven’t seen any houses with double-glazing or central heating and to be honest most of the rentals we looked at felt cold inside. Are there no minimum standards in New Zealand?

Not sure if I will ever adapt to the shoes off at the door thing. Is that because of the mud?

Another subject on which people have differing views, or a subject which is not politically correct to discuss on here.

Anyway we are in CHC at the moment and pay 470$ a week it is clean and modern. Most of the good properties are sorted by the agents before they are ever advertised. The best way to deal with this is to make good contact with the agents. Explaining to them your requirements clearly.
You may pay more this way, but you you get first choice of properties.
Good Luck

happynz Nov 6th 2007 10:18 pm

Central heating isn't really done here. Australia apparently isn't too big on the concept either.

From the tone of your posts regarding driving standards here and your disappointment as to what is available accommodation-wise I'd think that you'd find living here not an enjoyable experience. That's cool. There's no law saying you have to like the place.

If you prefer the standards in the UK might it be better to stay there? However, if you have your sights set on emigrating and you'd like a bit better quality of housing maybe take a look at Canada.

Good luck.

RobClubley Nov 6th 2007 10:24 pm

In a word, no. Some of the rentals we looked at (in wellington) were appalling and we couldn't believe they had the cheek to ask what they did.

There are good rentals out there - we found a great place after a couple of weeks of looking at dumps!

As for double glazing, insulation, heating. Seems to be a sore point with the poms, but basically those things are just about starting to catch on with new builds.

Well, except central heating. Kiwis just don't see the need for it, and the higher utility prices mean it costs a lot to run. You get used to it!

And the law says that landlords are not obliged to provide any heating, only a cooker!

Edit: Not trying to be negative here, just realistic

Pete n Shell Nov 6th 2007 10:26 pm

I am in agreement with Happynz if your finding fault with new zealand already and talking of moving to Australia then you will have great difficulty fitting into New Zealand.

I am sorry if you find those kind of responses offensive its just a case of we who already live here! In the majority accept what is around us and make the most of it. When you buy your own property you will be able to get all what you desire at a price.

We tried to point out to you that your driving experience is not the norm but you dont accept that so what more can we say with such a negative opinion on the place already.

Avid Nov 6th 2007 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 5520821)
In a word, no. Some of the rentals we looked at (in wellington) were appalling and we couldn't believe they had the cheek to ask what they did.

If you think that's bad....look at Masterton

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Pr...htm?key=233768

RobClubley Nov 6th 2007 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Pete n Shell (Post 5520834)
I am in agreement with Happynz if your finding fault with new zealand already and talking of moving to Australia then you will have great difficulty fitting into New Zealand.

I am sorry if you find those kind of responses offensive its just a case of we who already live here! In the majority accept what is around us and make the most of it. When you buy your own property you will be able to get all what you desire at a price.

We tried to point out to you that your driving experiance is not the norm but you dont accept that so what more can we say with such a negative opinion on the place already.

That's a good point actually.
From what I've seen, people who have initially bad impressions and experiences start looking for negatives in everything and end up hating the place and leaving.

mcuddy1 Nov 6th 2007 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 5520864)
That's a good point actually.
From what I've seen, people who have initially bad impressions and experiences start looking for negatives in everything and end up hating the place and leaving.

Yes
But there is nothing wrong with asking a valid question, being prepared is valuable when making a move to NZ.
The suggestion, as to you know where the airport is getting common on here.

There are pro's and con's to living here it is up to oneself to weigh them up and make your own mind up.

dlmckay Nov 6th 2007 11:05 pm

Wait until you find out how expensive the bills are here! :lol:

And how little choice there is as a consumer!

I don't think you're going to like NZ without the "put up and pitch in" attitude that you'll need here ;)

Avid Nov 6th 2007 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by mcuddy1 (Post 5520940)
But there is nothing wrong with asking a valid question, being prepared is valuable when making a move to NZ.
The suggestion, as to you know where the airport is getting common on here.

True...but there's a difference between a valid question and something along the lines of "Do they have (x) in New Zealand? Because if they don't then they better change or I'm not coming"

The latter is more of a threat than a question..

teambwr47 Nov 6th 2007 11:10 pm

Keep looking and most importantly of all find out where you want to live area wise then get to know a local agent.

We looked and looked in the general Howick/Whitford/Clevedon area and saw some truely shocking houses that were on for laughable rents. One day, by chance, we were in Beachlands and my wife walked into the Barfoots office there and spoke to the rental agent who told us that she had a list of people waiting for houses. The better houses in the area she NEVER advertises as they go to her listed clients before ever needing to be openly advertised.

We told her what we wanted and from then on we only looked at nice houses it seemed, finding a lovely place in the countryside of Whitford for a weekly figure near the top of what you mentioned. When we look back now at some of the places we viewed that were asking up to $1200 a week it really puts it in sharp focus exactly how cheeky some are being with the rental asking prices.

We decided we wanted a rental house that was outside of the urban sprawl, had some space around it but was still close to it for work commute etc. I know some here will not like it but most of the more shabby large houses we looked at (in our requirements) were owned by oriental landlords who equally were the ones asking the massive rents. There was a notable theme that they had bought older houses with land....done zero to them but assumed that as they had land etc they could charge a fortune.

Finding a decent rental is hard, of that theres no doubt, but there are good ones out there.... just allow a lot more time to find a house than maybe you first thought to.

We did find some stunning houses on Trade Me through the weeks of looking... like a very modern house overlooking the Marina in Half Moon Bay with 5 Bedrooms, underfloor heating, granite kitchen tops etc etc for $750 a week. This was owned by a Kiwi guy who had built his new house nearby. Unfortunately they did not want a dog in the house so we missed out.

We also looked at a place on the top of a hill in KawaKawa bay which had views to die for, a huggggeeeeee countryhouse place it was in stunning order with heating and no neighbours for at least 2 miles. This place was not renting as it was deemed by many it seems, to far for travel to Auckland. Rent- $800 (water included)

There are some gems to rent out there...........:thumbup:

BEVS Nov 6th 2007 11:43 pm

Given your first two posts Tanya 64 and that you were disappointed with the boards response, perhaps it would be more beneficial to you, if you were to tell us what you want or hope from New Zealand. You will then received a variety of differing opinions & responses as to what you can expect. Many of those will be based on experiences and will be subjective not objective as you would expect. Mixed in with that will be as always, good , solid factual help and information.

What other questions are you going to pose Tanya64 ? As you are just visiting NZ you may as well get them all out on one thread whilst you're still here. That way you can get stuck in whilst your boots are still on NZ turf.

Also , I am not sure what type of response you are looking for to your post on rentals.

Do you want practical advice about how to find a quality rental in Auckland or did you start the thread for the board to debate on whether or not Auckland rental standards are acceptable.

Perhaps those in Auckland would be kind enough to simply point Tanya64 in the direction of reputable real estate and letting agents & how they found a rental which suited them..

Tanya64 has already indicated what she has not found appealing about some of the rentals she has seen. No point her labouring this with us as it won't get her fixed up. All we could do is agree or disagee. Better to get her hooked up with some areas and rentals that she may find acceptable.

What to look for in a good rental:-

North facing with plenty of sun
A heat pump, wood burner.

anymore for anymore suggestions? ;)

whitesand Nov 7th 2007 12:21 am

Although Tanya's letter sounds a wee bit contrived it's, nevertheless, an honest question which deserves an honest answer. It's good to have positive and negative responses without folks getting all hot an bothered about critical responses to life in NZ. All that 'great, lovely, life is fantastic here' gets rather bland after a while!

With regard to rentals in Auckland, all I can say is that you have to kiss a few frogs before you get your prince! If you're serious about renting, take your time, use local papers like the North Shore Times and their equivalent to see what's available, as the agents put the rentals in there as well. Look at many and hold out for what you want. You'll eventually get something that is better than most. Good luck!

happynz Nov 7th 2007 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 5520839)
If you think that's bad....look at Masterton

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Pr...htm?key=233768

NZ$175000/week! :lol: That must be verrrrrrrrrrrrry nice place, dontcha think?

Campbells Nov 7th 2007 3:08 am

Hi,

I am in shock!

We stayed in Glendowie for a few months and just couldn't get used to the sub-standards.

We have moved to the North Shore and the general standard is much better than the areas you have mentioned. The down side is that driving is a must up here, the upside is that there is less traffic than suburbs closer to the city.

Try to ignore the members here that will attempt to bully you into saying what they will allow you to say. I have had my fair share of run ins on this forum. :D

The one member mentioned your topics not being PC that should explain a lot. You get the PC brigade that want to tell you how to think, what to say, how to say it and obviously coming from the UK you will be no stranger to the results that PCism has offered.

Regardless of what people say, there is a definite culture shock for people coming to New Zealand. We were invited to a fireworks evening 20 minutes north west of Auckland and the term Hillbilly comes to mind. We have been here nearly three years.

I can only say I wouldn’t generalise and suggest that because you have posted these topics you are not going to like it here. I would say it is better to address the issues and see if there are better options on offer in New Zealand and how others have coped with similar findings.

If this is the first time you have moved country you will be faced with challenges wherever you decide to re-settle. New Zealand has its downside and its good side too.

Now that you have started the process of looking at your options and obviously invested in the discovery and assessment of it all you are going to be faced with the big one:

Should we stay or should we go :confused:

On that I would say, go. Simply because, it is the route that you have started and if you never attempt to complete the journey you will be haunted with the “what if”.

If you came to New Zealand without cutting major ties in the UK ( selling house or whatever) you could give it a chance for six months or so. At least spend one summer here and you may find you will like many other aspects of the country.

Good luck with whatever you decide.:cool: