My names Ken, and i'm in the process of migrating to New Zealand
My only concern is finding somewhere to rent. i'm thinking of hawks
Bay. Could anyone give me some advise on how to go about finding
a property
Any avdise would be gratefully recieved
Old Mar 19th 2008, 12:31 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: House Rental -(moved to main forum)

Hi Ken.
Welcome to the forum.
I have moved your thread into the main forum where more people will see it.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:32 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House Rental

We did loads of emailing, web visits etc, before we got here. POINTLESS
Best way, book a holiday bach for a week, use that week to find your rental.
We had no references, but the real estate agents were thankfully realistic and took us as migrants with the points to get here, so can't be too bad, eh?
Old Mar 19th 2008, 6:49 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
We had no references, but the real estate agents were thankfully realistic and took us as migrants with the points to get here, so can't be too bad, eh?
Ditto to the bach rental. Try trademe.co.nz - we found our rental on there.

Welcome to the forum!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 7:39 am
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Maz
Ditto to the bach rental. Try trademe.co.nz - we found our rental on there.

Welcome to the forum!
I done the same - however most bachs where a little to pricey for us so I had a private room in a backpackers / hostel for 2 weeks, although that was just me without the wife and no kids.

Welcome to the forum btw.

Adie
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Kendo is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: House Rental

Hi Guys
Just like to say a big thanks to everyone who replied to my
message. You have all been a great help and certainly put
my mind at ease. Some pretty good advise there guys cheers.
Looks like i'll go down the holiday bach route

Once Again A Very Very Big Thanks
A Very Happy Ken
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:54 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
one refernce came from the Motel owner in North Shore where we stayed for 2 weeks before renting - ask nicely and they should be Ok, the other from my old employer in UK - glad to be rid I suppose

also may be worth getting a credit check printout before you come over as that can help swing it with the agents - next door rental is coming up soon and I met the agent today (inspection time again) - he said that they will pick and choose from half a dozen candidates for that one, so having more in your armoury can't be too bad, eh?

best of luck
Old Mar 20th 2008, 5:43 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Also,
1. Carefully check the terms of your rental, make sure you're not tied in for a longer term than you want.
2. Take photos of any damage immediately you get in, and get copies to the real estate agent/landlord. You don't want to be hit with repair bills when you leave.
3. Ask your local police if they regularly visit your potential street. Ours gave us a list of the "golden triangle" in which they said we shouldn't rent.
4. Have a look in the evenings, who's hanging about.
5. Make sure you have lake and mountains nearby......or is that just us?