House Prices

Old Jan 13th 2016, 3:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House Prices

Originally Posted by BEVS
Oh noes . You mentioned the tomato conundrum

This will only lead to the F word.
And next we'll be talking sausages.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Here the low temps in Kerikeri, but this is obviously where the weather station is, so some places would be warmer and others cooler.
Are you aware that those are not the average lows for Kerikeri, but the absolute lows for each month (the lowest temp recorded for the whole month)? It can get cold there at night midwinter but usually 6 or 7 degrees at least. Thats why its a fruit growing area.

Last edited by garethwm; Jan 13th 2016 at 3:51 am.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethwm
Are you aware that those are not the average lows for Kerikeri, but the absolute lows for each month (the lowest temp recorded)? It can get cold there at night midwinter but usually 6 or 7 degrees at least. Thats why its a fruit growing area.
Have I mentioned the banana palms in my last garden (Golden Bay).
Old Jan 13th 2016, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kotare
Yes if under 20 years old, but it is designed for NZ conditions. Peter
LOL
Built as cheap as chips is the bottom line
Insulation? How much? Tell them they are dreaming.
Northland is the area where property depreciates
Old Jan 13th 2016, 5:08 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Kotare
Have I mentioned the banana palms in my last garden (Golden Bay).
How did you shield those please?

I would like to grow them but have been advised only under glass.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
How did you shield those please?

I would like to grow them but have been advised only under glass.
We had two in the orchard when we bought the place. No protection other than being in a corner, shielded on two sides by hedges. Blasted cows ate one right down but it regrew. Golden Bay is a good climate, though I would have thought where I am now would be better (more humid).

Peter
Old Jan 13th 2016, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethwm
Are you aware that those are not the average lows for Kerikeri, but the absolute lows for each month (the lowest temp recorded for the whole month)? It can get cold there at night midwinter but usually 6 or 7 degrees at least. Thats why its a fruit growing area.
Well aware, but I sent you the absolute lows so you know what to expect.A fruit tree isn't bothered about averages, because what can kill it is just one night of frost. It's always best to cover the trees during winter, even in KeriKeri (depending how sheltered the trees are) and the climate is changing everywhere. No doubt that the climate is better to grow certain things, but people should not expect constant sunshine. People who don't want to see the facts, will always talk a place down, but even in Dunedin you can grow food and not the whole of Scotland is covered in snow. As mentioned, a polytunnel is a great option and even in a very cold climate, you can actually redistribute heat from your home etc. There are no limits.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
Do they have frosts in Kerikeri?
Yes we do! Depending on where you are. We are at the bottom of a hill, near a river, so sometimes we get a light frost. I was so surprised the first time it happened and I had to scrape the car windows! We also have a banana plant...it didn't like the frost....thought it was dead, but it's now thriving again and a new shoot has grown up next to it. I will be wrapping it up in horticultural fleece this winter.As for house prices, well they range massively across the town and to the outskirts. Some places have got themselves a bit of a bad name, like any town I guess. Some places command ridiculously high prices (in relation to income).But, we love it and plan to stay a long time.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 8:33 am
Just Joined

gingerninga is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been pleasantly surprised by the cost of housing in NZ compared to the UK.

We're looking at the Wellington area. We did live in London 6 years ago, and then St Albans (wildy expensive) before moving to Somerset. We had big mortgages in London and would never be able to afford London now but we can afford NZ's capital and most likely be mortgage free. We've always wanted to build our own home, so after getting lots of quotes and looking at section prices, we reckon we can afford to build a good sized family home, with insulation and double glazing. The building company we like best are happy for us to bring kitchen, bathrooms and possibly even windows with us in the Shipping Container from the UK along with our house contents, so if that's possible then the costs will be even lower. The costs of good quality windows, kitchens and bathrooms in NZ brought tears to my eyes.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gingerninga
I've been pleasantly surprised by the cost of housing in NZ compared to the UK.

We're looking at the Wellington area. We did live in London 6 years ago, and then St Albans (wildy expensive) before moving to Somerset. We had big mortgages in London and would never be able to afford London now but we can afford NZ's capital and most likely be mortgage free. We've always wanted to build our own home, so after getting lots of quotes and looking at section prices, we reckon we can afford to build a good sized family home, with insulation and double glazing. The building company we like best are happy for us to bring kitchen, bathrooms and possibly even windows with us in the Shipping Container from the UK along with our house contents, so if that's possible then the costs will be even lower. The costs of good quality windows, kitchens and bathrooms in NZ brought tears to my eyes.
Bring household appliances and furniture too or you will be a sodden mess :-)
Old Jan 13th 2016, 8:56 am
Just Joined

gingerninga is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yes! We are bringing everything conceivable. Maybe even clothes for the kids for the next few years. Those prices had me teary eyed too.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 7:36 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

The building company we like best are happy for us to bring kitchen, bathrooms and possibly even windows
Check for any NZ building code requirements/implications on the windows, it would be a shame to bring them and not have them usable...
Old Jan 13th 2016, 8:31 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The building company we like best are happy for us to bring kitchen, bathrooms and possibly even windows with us in the Shipping Container from the UK along with our house contents, so if that's possible then the costs will be even lower. The costs of good quality windows, kitchens and bathrooms in NZ brought tears to my eyes.
Just ensure they match & will be certified to pass the ANZ standards and codes of compliance .

Which house and land build company do you prefer ?
Old Jan 14th 2016, 1:55 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

And also import tax
Old Jan 14th 2016, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, lots of nonsense floating around in this thread.
Lots of expert comments from people about areas of nz they have never even visited
and reasons given why house prices in other areas they have never even visited
are what that are.

Reading through the thread I've come across " you can't compare countries " about 6 times
yet it seams the people who keep saying it are those who are doing it and are also those with the least knowledge .

I could scrape the seeds of a MacDonalds bun, plant them in my garden and they would grow.
I'm nowhere near northland, I would never live up there, its not for me for so many reasons.
I have fruit trees, a vine, fejoa, tomato's. Strawberries all growing vigorously in my garden
and I am possibly the worst, most uninterested gardener on the planet.

Point is, some are making assumptions based on zero knowledge of the country

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.