House prices

Old Sep 8th 2013, 6:54 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: House prices

Originally Posted by whitesand
The problem with houses here is that even a crap house in a good area will still sell at a grossly inflated price because folks don't buy into the house, but into the area.
I'd go along with that too for this area , Nelson and Bays.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 6:58 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I had no idea your budget was so low. If all you can afford is $300,000 for a house then I agree - you are wasting your time even looking in Auckland. It's been many years since you could find a house for that price even in the less popular areas. If I were you I would stop grieving for what you can't have and look at other options. That sounds like it is either a trip back to the UK or move to another part of NZ. You might feel happier once you are focusing on what you can have rather than what you can't. That's my experience anyway.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 7:02 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand
The problem with houses here is that even a crap house in a good area will still sell at a grossly inflated price because folks don't buy into the house, but into the area.
I was stunned to see 1 bedroom batches selling on Waiheke for over $1m. Of course they pull the batch down and build a mansion with sea views and a helicopter pad. I'm not sure it's Kiwi's buying them either.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
I had no idea your budget was so low. If all you can afford is $300,000 for a house then I agree - you are wasting your time even looking in Auckland. It's been many years since you could find a house for that price even in the less popular areas. If I were you I would stop grieving for what you can't have and look at other options. That sounds like it is either a trip back to the UK or move to another part of NZ. You might feel happier once you are focusing on what you can have rather than what you can't. That's my experience anyway.
Thanks JMH.

My potential budget is actually far higher than 300K - However, I have to be realistic and I think that a lot of people would think 300K is a fair bit of money - I do not see that as "low". I guess if you've been in Auckland too long - it might well be.

I am a first time buyer. I have set the limit at 400K NZD (200K GBP) as I do not want to have to spend 30 years paying off a vastly high mortgage. I want to have time for kids (when they arrive) and be able to do other things in life other than just working and paying a mortgage.

I personally believe that the reason so many people are unhappy in life is that people take out huge mortgages and effectively become married to jobs which they either like or strongly dislike.

Those thinking houses/cost of living over here are cheap, please make sure you've read this first.

Last edited by davros1984; Sep 8th 2013 at 7:58 am.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:37 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

wouldn't mind a 500k profit in 2 years

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/mone...-in-house-sale
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:38 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Come to the provinces........we have cookies.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

trafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
You can buy nice 2-3 bed semi-detached houses in the UK for that sort of money up and down the country (if you exclude the home counties).
Exclude Cheshire too. I am not an expert at UK property, but having bought and sold a few, £150k doesn't get a lot - when you take into account location. I imagine it is the same in Auckland - location is the main driver of property prices and any region in the UK with good schools, transport and employment opportunities will be more expensive - and while Auckland does not seem to offer good value (and houses definitely seem overpriced), you can't assume that just because you can find houses in the UK for £150k that you would ever want to live in them.

Originally Posted by davros1984
Do not be fooled, Auckland and affordable housing is nothing but a myth.
I agree in most respects. My sister was priced out of her desired suburbs of Onehunga, Royal Oak etc. But she ended up buying a lovely house in Drury in 2006 for $375k (I know - its' not $300k but it is below average house prices). It might be worth a bit over $400k by now? It is across from a very good primary school (they have calf days!), looks out to the Hunua's from her bedroom, has great neighbours with well kept homes and is on a good sized section. It is 4 bedroom, quite pretty in a cottagy sort of way, and is sound and warm. She works in East Tamaki but weekly has to drive to the city for meetings. She commutes with ease (but obviously the city commute takes longer). So I think that while frustrating, there are properties out there in the UK and Auckland, you just have to get out and explore a bit.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 7:56 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be very surprised and disappointed if a house I bought in 2006 for 375K was now only worth just 400K
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:16 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Trafford. We purchased our house in provincial NZ, well away from the overheated property markets in parts of NZ's main centres.

This was due to the circumstance of my husband's job being here admittedly. So, if we return to a less populated county of Britain than where we came from, hopefully we can get a reasonable house at a reasonable cost.

I'm not insistent on returning to the south east of England. I'm not against it either. We'll just see, 'how the deck falls' in the future.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

pleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nice

It's interesting that we all seem to expect to sell our houses for more than we bought them for, like it's a given right or something?
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trafford
Exclude Cheshire too. I am not an expert at UK property, but having bought and sold a few, £150k doesn't get a lot - when you take into account location.
I haven't homed in exclusively on Cheshire. Areas that I have looked at that offer plenty of jobs in what I do include: Leeds, Warrington, Stoke, Stafford, Worcestershire, Manchester/Liverpool. Basically north midlands and the south of the "north" if that makes any sense. I am not looking to live in the middle of these cities either (a bit like auckland). I wish to live somewhere within a 30 minute commute. Fortunately, (unlike Auckland)most of those places are well served by trains from various smaller towns and places. I have a couple of friends who live up there so I know how cheap some of the areas are and how beautiful some of it is.

The joke is, most of those towns offer far more IT opportunities than Auckland.

I imagine it is the same in Auckland - location is the main driver of property prices and any region in the UK with good schools, transport and employment opportunities will be more expensive - and while Auckland does not seem to offer good value (and houses definitely seem overpriced), you can't assume that just because you can find houses in the UK for £150k that you would ever want to live in them.
Auckland is insane. I have seen some beautiful houses for around 120-150K in many surrounding areas of the places I have said above. One place I am keen on moving to though, its more like 180K as opposed to 150K. Compared to Auckland though - this is nothing.

I forgot to add - I am a first time buyer. So a semi-detached 3-bed style 1920's/Victorian house is beautiful to me, especially if it has a reasonable garden.

I agree in most respects. My sister was priced out of her desired suburbs of Onehunga, Royal Oak etc. But she ended up buying a lovely house in Drury in 2006 for $375k (I know - its' not $300k but it is below average house prices). It might be worth a bit over $400k by now? .
You are probably talking 700-800K NZD min now if its 4-beds.

Last edited by davros1984; Sep 8th 2013 at 9:01 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 11:28 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Come to the provinces........we have cookies.
And alcohol!
Old Sep 9th 2013, 1:46 am

I've eaten all the cookies, there's only alcohol left. Please come round, save me from being a solitary drinker !
Old Sep 9th 2013, 5:09 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
I've eaten all the cookies, there's only alcohol left. Please come round, save me from being a solitary drinker !
I'm sure I can help you out if you insist