house prices

Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:59 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: house prices

We have Rimu in the south.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 2:24 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Lovely wood, I've some beautiful tables made by 'Forest to NZ Furniture'
Old Apr 4th 2008, 3:48 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
Yes I got your drift. And I've seen some pretty shoddy almost builts too, Southerner made a good point.
OK, maybe I just believe Realtor hype - after I posted the paper fell open at this "bargain":
Attached Thumbnails house prices-cci00000.jpg  
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:50 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesnye
It's only a conditional offer as yet, so no registered valuation or survey done.
We'll be developing the house, adding floor to get a better view of the sea and to add more living space, so wont be selling off the house.
Thank you.

Was just wondering if it's as good a buy as we think. It's been in the same family for 17 years and only the original family before that we believe.
On the face of it getting $100k off the asking price was sweet. Am I right in thinking that it's conditional on getting a valuation done? that'd be clever and definitely the right thing to do. Do you have the CV? I assume the agent gave you the recent sales in the area? If they didn't, PM me have the address and I'll get them for you. I'd think it unlikely that a valuation would come in below $700k but if it did you could renegotiate. A bird in the hand to the vendors will be far more attractive than going back to a very uncertain market.

Regardless of all the talk, the only houses going for a song are rentals - do you want to live in one? or big **** off mansions mortgaged to the hilt and taking a hit on them is preferable to giving them to the bank.

It's Titirangi, you've got 3/4 of an acre and obviously the wherewithal to be considering an extension to the existing building at this stage. If you love it and intend to live in it for the next few years why would you not buy it? People talk about houses as if they're only investments but they're not - they're homes. Enjoy it with no regrets. And have a lovely life out there - I wanted to go to Titirangi until we were hijacked by the inlaws

Oh, just one more thing. We have auctions every Wednesday. One thing that was talked about this week was how resistant vendors are. They have just withdrawn rather than sell for less than they want. It's a trait peculiar to New Zealanders seemingly and is definitely the case in our household. We want to move out of Auckland but we don't have to sell our house and are not going to now until things become more stable.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

jomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nice

Hi Welsh Wales
Good luck with your tough decision.
We are in similar position i midwife OH HGV driver but we have minimal equity and 3kids!!! Went over last year and fell in love with NZ .

Whilst we would be happy to rent as an option we felt we may never get back on property ladder so after much thought we decided we will have to put our plans on hold

Still desperate to leave the UK we have now made plans to move to ROI i have a job offer and plans in place to go once registration through.

Maybe NZ will happen in the future? I am coming over for 3 weeks on elective placement at end of May so can't wait for that and who knows what the future holds

Good luck i don't envy your decision

Jo
Old Apr 5th 2008, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

wilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the rough

fascinating thread...we're in the process of trying to get rid of ours in the UK, so we can make the move to NZ, got a job lined up, but the market here is a bit shaky and we just don't know how quick/ slow its going to sell. Seems pretty similar where ever you go. Prices/ interest rates high, utilities/ food/ fuel all high, salaries not increasing at the same rate! Our Gas and electricity for 2007-2008 was £1200!!!!! and apparently its due to increase again by another 30% this year

we were always totally ok with bieng renters then I suppose we got a bit caught up in this whole 'renting is dead money/ got to get on the property ladder' way of thinking, and bought ours - and the whole house ownership thing for us has been a bit of a headache to be honest. We can't wait to get rid of ours, get out to NZ and rent a fab house, in a great area, near beaches, coffee houses, bars, parks and great schools, for a fraction of what it'd cost us if we had to buy it. If/ when anything needs fixing or doing up about the place, we'll just call the landlord and they can sort it while we take the kids camping or to the beach!