House painting

Old Mar 15th 2007, 9:54 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default House painting

They came yesterday to water blast our house as the first stage of preparing to paint it, and rather more paint lifted than expected.

So now they have to strip it back to bare wood or they won't give the 10 year guarantee on the work - they reckon if they proceed as originally planned it might only last 5 years before it starts lifting.

This is a bummer as it adds about 40% to the quote.

Bugger.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 12:06 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House painting

Ouch! (bastardos!) I don't suppose they had a clause in the contract to say what would happen if they had to redo the whole lot?... That's one hefty increase! Is it because they have to put 2 coats on? Maybe a primer too?

Heh heh... you're going to have strippers at your house.

Sorry, couldn't resist!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 12:17 am

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maz
Ouch! (bastardos!) I don't suppose they had a clause in the contract to say what would happen if they had to redo the whole lot?... That's one hefty increase! Is it because they have to put 2 coats on? Maybe a primer too?

Sorry, couldn't resist!
she on a roll tonight
Old Mar 16th 2007, 2:08 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz

Sorry, couldn't resist!
It's the strippers that are expensive. They were planning to just sand off the top coat but now they have to employ strippers () and put on new primer and stuff.

It'll all be worth it in the end!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 3:13 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maz

You going to put them on the picture thread?
Old Mar 16th 2007, 3:36 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

that water blasting is brilliant though isn't it?
We got our house done and it looked so clean afterwards. They used something in the water to roughen the paintwork to get a key. I painted our house myself - but its about - well I don't know really - say 120m2 - and on the flat so no scaffolding or anything. It was good fun.

Rob, it will be so worth it when its done - it wont need done again for yonks and yonks and it'll look stunning.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 4:17 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

The weatherboard houses do look fantastic when they have a professional paint job so it probably is worth having it done from scratch and then you don't have to worry about it for ages and ages.
I hated the look of the wooden houses when I first came here but either they have grown on me or I think lots in the last three plus years have been renovated and look stunning.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default House painting

Sending you some Stripper karma...........
Old Mar 16th 2007, 4:45 am
Happy in Wellington

Here's some pictures.

I didn't see the strippers themselves, just the aftermath.

And our ponga's not looking too happy after the dry month we've had. Hope it recovers!

Wait 'til next week when the serious stripping starts!
Attached Thumbnails House painting-dsc04285.jpg   House painting-dsc04281.jpg   House painting-dsc04284.jpg  
Old Mar 16th 2007, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear that tree doesnt look too happy!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
They came yesterday to water blast our house as the first stage of preparing to paint it, and rather more paint lifted than expected.

So now they have to strip it back to bare wood or they won't give the 10 year guarantee on the work - they reckon if they proceed as originally planned it might only last 5 years before it starts lifting.

This is a bummer as it adds about 40% to the quote.

Bugger.
D'oh !!! It will look gorgeous when it's done though, I bet!

I can't wait to be doing things like that !!!

Michelle xx
Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Are they Master Painters?
I'm not sure this is the right advice.
Looking at your weatherboards I wouldn't expect a complete strip and I wouldn't allow it myself.
How old is the house?
It's usually only necessary when a house is old and has many layers of paint that need removing to give a good finish.
If it didn't all come off with water-blasting then it must be stuck fast.
Usually they just sand, fill and spot prime.
Modern New Zealand acrylic paints are extremely durable and cover old paint well.

Kip

Last edited by Kippers; Mar 16th 2007 at 8:39 am.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 2:45 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Sending you some Stripper karma...........
Surprise surprise look who showed up!

Are they building new houses with vinyl siding at all? That's what they've been doing for yonks in the US now. No more wood siding, ergo no more painting (yay!).
Old Mar 16th 2007, 7:30 pm
Happy in Wellington

Originally Posted by Kippers
Are they Master Painters?
I'm not sure this is the right advice.
Looking at your weatherboards I wouldn't expect a complete strip and I wouldn't allow it myself.
How old is the house?
It's usually only necessary when a house is old and has many layers of paint that need removing to give a good finish.
If it didn't all come off with water-blasting then it must be stuck fast.
Usually they just sand, fill and spot prime.
Modern New Zealand acrylic paints are extremely durable and cover old paint well.

Kip
The house is about 55 years old. The paint is in a pretty poor state in parts of the house especially where it catches the sun. One of the reasons they recommended the full stripping is that we're going for a darker colour and they reckon the extra heat it attracts from the sun will bubble the paint eventually if we don't remove the old paint.
I'd rather do the job properly now as we're not planning to move out of this house for a very long time!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by RobClubley
The house is about 55 years old. The paint is in a pretty poor state in parts of the house especially where it catches the sun. One of the reasons they recommended the full stripping is that we're going for a darker colour and they reckon the extra heat it attracts from the sun will bubble the paint eventually if we don't remove the old paint.
I'd rather do the job properly now as we're not planning to move out of this house for a very long time!
Seems strange they didn't think it was necessary in the initial quote.
An experienced painter is pretty adept at judging what needs doing when quoting for a job.
Half the time in painting is the prep work before the paint is applied.
So he's off-loaded that work to a sub-contractor at extra cost to you.
Should he give a price reduction for his work as a result?

It's true that dark colours are not a good choice under NZ's sun. The paint doesn't last as long as lighter colours. Did he advise you of that in his quote?

The full strip will give a better finish but at a considerably higher cost.
What would you have said to an initial quote that was 40% higher?

Kip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.