house hunting

Old Apr 18th 2009, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

deb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nice
Unhappy house hunting

Sat in Manchester on the web looking at houses in New Plymouth, well looking at sheds in New Plymouth, from the searching we have done I gather that the houses are not made for the cold. I have made it quite clear to the better half that I am not going anywhere unless heating & brick are involved.

I find the temperature averages quite varied depending on the site you look at, could someone give me the heads up as regards the housing and weather in New Plymouth, is woolies or cotton tops
Old Apr 19th 2009, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: house hunting

You know, the temperatures around the country don't vary in an significant amount. We find that the Auckland area can have a couple of degrees difference at times and when I was up there, spring comes a little earlier, like a week or so. Keeping in mind that timing of leaves etc is a function of light.

Your comments about brick vs. a non brick house I don't think are quite valid. It all comes down to insulation, doors and windows that close properly and heating. We lived in a brick house in Chch before moving into our new house. Cold about sums it up.

You need to appreciate that only the living area is heated. That usually includes kitchen, dining and a sitting area. Other rooms are not heated.

So, if you come, you need not worry so much about the materials the house is made out of, but what are you prepared to spend when buying and renovating, or building and can you afford it. I don't think that you will necessarily find a place built by and lived in by someone else that will fully tick all your boxes.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

aalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud of
Cool Re: house hunting

Originally Posted by deb_steve View Post
Sat in Manchester on the web looking at houses in New Plymouth, well looking at sheds in New Plymouth, from the searching we have done I gather that the houses are not made for the cold. I have made it quite clear to the better half that I am not going anywhere unless heating & brick are involved.

I find the temperature averages quite varied depending on the site you look at, could someone give me the heads up as regards the housing and weather in New Plymouth, is woolies or cotton tops
Hi we arrived in NP in Nov 08 and so we've had an amazing summer and its still going although we are in Autumn, it did get a wee bit cold at night about a week ago but still only 12 degrees lol.....

Mind you back home 12 degrees would be cotton top!! weather but here it feels cold,
The house we are renting is massive but does not have Central heating like we know it although it has vents all over the house that chuck out hot air, and a lovely open fire which we have had sweep ready for the cold spell, which we have been told has never dropped below 6 degrees in the last 40years....... You just have to wear lots of layers if you feel the cold (like me)
Old Apr 19th 2009, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

deb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nice
Red face Re: house hunting

Since you arrived have you managed to look around New Plymouth much, what would you say were the nice areas we should be looking at when looking at property.

Are there many expats in New Plymouth and what would you say was the best piece of advise you could give us about moving to nz.

I go from thinking everything will fall into place to thinkin how the hell can we do it, i.e sell house, cancel things or notify everyone who needs to be notified. I have lists coming out of my ears.

How do you get all the timing right, the house is going through, but when do you cancel phone, electric, poll tax, pension..........

I think it's the nutty house for me next not new life, new home etc...
Old Apr 19th 2009, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

aalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud of

Since you arrived have you managed to look around New Plymouth much, what would you say were the nice areas we should be looking at when looking at property.

Are there many expats in New Plymouth and what would you say was the best piece of advise you could give us about moving to nz.

I go from thinking everything will fall into place to thinkin how the hell can we do it, i.e sell house, cancel things or notify everyone who needs to be notified. I have lists coming out of my ears.

How do you get all the timing right, the house is going through, but when do you cancel phone, electric, poll tax, pension..........

I think it's the nutty house for me next not new life, new home etc...
Best piece of advice is that New Zealand lifestyle is Fairly relaxed!!! which i think at the this moment should sound rather appealing lol.....
No really things are gonna pretty stressful but it'll be worth it in the end, the country is beautiful and they people are fantastic, and there are alot of us here in NP.

We spent weeks looking at rentals in NP there are rough areas but you get them everywhere!!! I would say just to avoid Marfell and some areas of spotswood,
I gather you have sold you house?? Lucky you if you have we had to leave our houses rented out!!! reensions, phone i think it all depends when you are leaving your property in regards to travelling obviously you'd need to pay the bills, But CALM DOWN it'll all sort itself out!!!!!!!!
Anything else you need just give us a yell...
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

We were luck in our rental as it was a brand new brick house, though it has an hrv system it has no heating , but as andrea said its been fine apart from a wee drop a couple of weeks ago.. we bought a oil heater for bedroom and it does the trick ... we are building a house and not putting in central heating just a couple of heat pumps but it will be well insulated which makes the difference

in np there are lots of amazing looking houses , lots of brick out here... in inglweood there are a lot of new brick houses too just been built

caz
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

We have been looking at houses in New Plymouth on the web, Inglewood, Fitzroy,Bell Block & Waitara. We have heard plent of good comments about the first 3 but nothing about Waitara. Is there a reason for this or is it a well kept secret ?.

There is only the better half and yours truly emigrating so a School is not on the agenda , but neither is a retirement home or a bingo hall. In mid 40's but not dead yet.

What do mid 40'ish folk do in there spare time? would you know by any chance?
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

We have been looking at houses in New Plymouth on the web, Inglewood, Fitzroy,Bell Block & Waitara. We have heard plent of good comments about the first 3 but nothing about Waitara. Is there a reason for this or is it a well kept secret ?.

There is only the better half and yours truly emigrating so a School is not on the agenda , but neither is a retirement home or a bingo hall. In mid 40's but not dead yet.

What do mid 40'ish folk do in there spare time? would you know by any chance?
LOL the same as us Mid 30's walk the beach/parks/resturants....... plenty to do here, like i said it all depends where you want to be in regards to the main town and stuff???
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

I myself am a rugby nut, better half a mad Man Utd fan, love walking, drinking wine and watching Bourne Identity.

Bet you can't wait to meet us!!
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

I myself am a rugby nut, better half a mad Man Utd fan, love walking, drinking wine and watching Bourne Identity.

Bet you can't wait to meet us!!
Coool you both sound as mad as us lol.... He plays Rugby i walk drink the wine and he loves Bourne!!!!!

We'll have to meet up for sure when you arrive......
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Sound like a date. goin to bed now as still have to go to booooring, mind numbing job in the morning.

Had 2 bottles of wine while watching Everton beat Manu Utd in the FA cup semi final (better half not too chuffed, dodgy ref and all that) so don't rate the chances of work getting the best of me tomorrow but hay hum.

Take care

Deb & Steve
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Cool Re: house hunting

Sound like a date. goin to bed now as still have to go to booooring, mind numbing job in the morning.

Had 2 bottles of wine while watching Everton beat Manu Utd in the FA cup semi final (better half not too chuffed, dodgy ref and all that) so don't rate the chances of work getting the best of me tomorrow but hay hum.

Take care

Deb & Steve
Ha Ha Enjoy it'll all be over soon enough and you'll be on your way to most relaxed place in the world lol......