Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hotels and Accomodation

Hotels and Accomodation

Old Jun 13th 2012, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

UKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud of
Default Hotels and Accomodation

Hi can anyone please recommend any hotels to stay in whilst I search for accomodation and also if there are any coastal areas that could be suitable for longer term rental properties within a commutable distance to Christchurch? Failing that which part of the Christchurch suburbs would you consider the most sociable in terms of activities such as team sports and local entertainment?

Last edited by UKQS; Jun 14th 2012 at 12:00 am.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hotels and Accomodation

Always wary of recommending as one man's heaven.......

Best bet is probably to have a look on tripadvisor, take the reviews with a pinch of salt and then search for good rates. If you are planning on a long term stay at hotel/motel then contact them direct as they may be able to offer you a discounted rate. Otherwise, compare wotif.com and jasons.co.nz.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

UKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud of

Thanks Chippy, it will only be for about 4 weeks (in a hotel) initially until I find longer term accommodation but I will try those sites thanks.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

You could also look here http://www.bookabach.co.nz/baches-an...r-by/low-price and here http://www.holidayhomes.co.nz/for-re.../christchurch/.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

What deal have the new employer given you with accommodation ?

Neil
Old Jun 18th 2012, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again Chippy

Hi Neil they have offered up to 4 weeks in a hotel to help find somewhere to lay my hat!
Old Jun 18th 2012, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to offer you a bed here but 4 weeks should be plenty

Bring references with you it,s a big thing here, if you have none get some rellies to write a couple and warn them they might get a follow up call
Old Jun 18th 2012, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for considering the offer Neil I am already loving the expat spirit in Christchurch! That was very kind of you but as you rightly say I should have plenty of time to look around from a hotel. I will be getting a NZ sim card when I arrive so I will message you my number when I arrive and perhaps we could go for a beer?
Old Jun 19th 2012, 8:46 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help with any good hotels as I've never stayed in one in Chch. A motel will probably be a better bet than a hotel as you get cooking facilities, generally a fridge, crockery, pans, cutlery and full oven [but some have just a hob] You may of course be planning on eating out every night...and of course if your employer is paying...
In general I find that motels are good quality though the cheaper ones can sometimes be a little dated.
If you're looking for local entertainment then near to Riccarton or Merivale would be good options. Can't help with team sports- I don't do that sort of thing
Old Jun 20th 2012, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Great advice as always, thanks Persephone!
Old Jun 27th 2012, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Found out I will be in Fendalton for the first 4 weeks at least. Got a house oraganised by my new employer and have the option to stay on longer.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

That's fairly central. Not too far from Riccarton for shopping, bars etc or Hagley Park for some open spaces. You can get bus to the seaside - Sumner, New Brighton, Waimairi.
When are you due to arrive?
Old Jun 27th 2012, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Chippy seems like a good location but I suppose actually living there for a bit will tell the true story. Thanks for the info, I will be arriving on 18th July.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

A lot of Fendalton is quite 'posh' . Lots of expensive houses so maybe you will be in one of those
Old Jun 27th 2012, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

I could give you the exact address and maybe you could do some reconnaissance for me! Just kidding!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.