Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

hot water tank - most efficient way to run?

hot water tank - most efficient way to run?

Old Jul 30th 2009, 11:38 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hot water tank - most efficient way to run?

just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction?

the hot tank in the new place (rental) has no timer and no obvious thermostat... i'm assuming the most efficient way to run it is to keep it on all the time?

this was certainly the advice we used to give out in my old job - that and knocking the thermostat down...

any ideas on thermostat?? or timer - is it hidden??!!

also - there doesn't seem to be a jacket, and it's not obviously got an integral one like the newer ones in the uk... would it be worth investing in one (if such a thing exists here? bearing in mind it's just a rental and not our home for life)

thanks all for any help!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

OzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really nice
Default Re: hot water tank - most efficient way to run?

Originally Posted by Stoof
just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction?

the hot tank in the new place (rental) has no timer and no obvious thermostat... i'm assuming the most efficient way to run it is to keep it on all the time?

this was certainly the advice we used to give out in my old job - that and knocking the thermostat down...

any ideas on thermostat?? or timer - is it hidden??!!

also - there doesn't seem to be a jacket, and it's not obviously got an integral one like the newer ones in the uk... would it be worth investing in one (if such a thing exists here? bearing in mind it's just a rental and not our home for life)

thanks all for any help!
I am presuming it is electric and inside the house.
Yes it will have a thermostat, depending on the tank type it is probably under a little plate where the element is generally in the middle of the element is a pocket with a bar type thermostat inserted, you can see the temperature settings on the face of it. If the tank has a steel finish then it is lagged, the tanks are mild steel with a ceramic sprayed lining then insulated (foam) and then a steel plate jacket. If it is copper with no jacket it is uninsulated and does need someting on it.

make sure you kep the tank on a minimum of 60C to ensure legionella is killed.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 7:27 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

yep - it's electric and in the house - thank you!
Old Aug 1st 2009, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

We have a solar tank and it heats itself to 60 degrees every three days from the last time it was 60 degrees. This takes care of the bacteria you mention.

It was great today. I had a shower and the tank was the same temperature after the shower as before. Then the same happened when one of the girls had a shower. Even on nice days in winter we get good hot water producton.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

OzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really nice

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
We have a solar tank and it heats itself to 60 degrees every three days from the last time it was 60 degrees. This takes care of the bacteria you mention.

It was great today. I had a shower and the tank was the same temperature after the shower as before. Then the same happened when one of the girls had a shower. Even on nice days in winter we get good hot water producton.
Thats because it has an electric booster. So even there is no sun you will still have hot water. In fact approximaely 40% of your hot water will come from the electric element not the solar gain.