British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hot chocolate V milo (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hot-chocolate-v-milo-765371/)

Hellie73 Jul 18th 2012 1:28 am

Hot chocolate V milo

Okay I tried it, tried to embrace the kiwiness of milo but I just can't do it, it's just plain wrong, yuck! I even paid a small fortune from English shop for some instant and that didn't taste right either.
Have I been spoit by all the coffee shop hot chocolate, or is there a brand out there that can get me through the winter.

scrubbedexpat094 Jul 18th 2012 5:03 am

Re: Hot chocolate V milo

I get Cadbury's Hot Chocolate from Bramptins (or similar) & my parents occasionally send me some over :thumbup:

Bo-Jangles Jul 18th 2012 7:03 am

Milo isn't pretending to be Hot Chocolate though is it? It's a malt drink like Ovaltine.

You can get Cadbury's Drinking Chocolate among others at any of the the supermarkets or just get good old fashioned cocoa.

thedtb Jul 18th 2012 10:23 am

I've tried Milo, twice. I just don't get it. It's bloody awful.

When I buy Hot Chocolate for making at home, I buy one of any number of different brands available from our local Moor Wilson's.

Hellie73 Jul 19th 2012 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10178798)
Milo isn't pretending to be Hot Chocolate though is it? It's a malt drink like Ovaltine.

You can get Cadbury's Drinking Chocolate among others at any of the the supermarkets or just get good old fashioned cocoa.

I know it's like putting a square peg in a round hole, (chocolate and malt drinks) I was just looking for a nice warm winter drink alternative to having to make hot chocolate with milk or paying over $9 for a jar of instant.

Tray Jul 23rd 2012 7:31 pm

Try Baking cocoa (fair frade) it's delicious..you just add sugar to taste;)

Trish M Jul 23rd 2012 7:51 pm

I love Milo & it does taste just like Ovaltine:thumbs_up:

Charismatic Jul 25th 2012 1:37 pm

Bovril. Get something warm and meaty into you and stop being such pooftas.

Bev MK Jul 29th 2012 6:55 pm

Is it the same as the South African Milo? I quite like that as a hot drink when I've had it on hols there.

But at home I always make hot choc with cocoa powder rather than hot choc powder as I like it very chocolately and not very sweet so I find the pre-mixed Cadbury's etc too weak and too sugary.

lisamct Jul 30th 2012 3:51 am

I just don't get the kiwi love of Milo, its vile. In one of the hospitals I worked in we had to lock it away as people (usually kids but not always) would just eat it out the tub with a spoon :sick:

'Luckily' its also made by Nestle and I don't eat Nestle products so its not a problem to avoid it.

phyns Aug 12th 2012 8:29 am

I'm a kiwi and I don't like Milo. It's not chocolate though. We were force feed the crap at boarding school in NZ and I've not been able to touch it since.

Charismatic Aug 12th 2012 9:16 am

Avoiding Nestle must be a real PITA since they are the worlds largest food company.

lisamct Aug 12th 2012 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 10222816)
Avoiding Nestle must be a real PITA since they are the worlds largest food company.

Its pretty easy actually, been doing it for a long time mind and there's plenty of alternatives out there.

BEVS Aug 12th 2012 10:02 pm

Hot chocolate V milo
Yuk and double yuk to both those & to Ovaltine or anything similar. :sick:

Charismatic Aug 13th 2012 2:09 am

Originally Posted by lisamct (Post 10222977)
Its pretty easy actually, been doing it for a long time mind and there's plenty of alternatives out there.

Difficult game, only a few of Nestle's products carry the word "Nestle" on the label.

I love a can of Coca Cola and Philadelphia cream cheese sandwich for lunch and no amount of guilt will take them from me. Also I don't like children so Nestle are doing me a massive favour.