Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hostels on road trip?!

Hostels on road trip?!

Old May 13th 2010, 4:53 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Hostels on road trip?!

Well hello again everyone

Having mulled it over we have decided travelling the islands in a campervan when we arrive is not the best method...
Its quite expensive for hire, then you have to leave a VERY expensive bond, plus we would only be able to afford one without a loo or shower so would be constantly on the look out for places to tinkle and bathe... and I couldn't stand feeling like a hobo!

Think we're going to buy a car and stay in hostels for 3 weeks of the month long trip, works out about the same money wise as if we would have hired a van and we are guaranteed bathroom facilities
Couldn't do dorms (irrational fear I would have a weirdo staring at me while I slept ) we will do private double rooms, only about £20 a night for the 2 of us
Final week we will lodge with hubbys uncle who lives near Welly - free accommodation!

Just wondered whether anyone has done this before?

Not sure whether to not pre-plan and just set off and stop where we want or plan the journey noting where the hostels are?

I am quite obsessive about planning, so much so that my nickname is Monica (of 'Friends' fame)... the thought of not having places booked and planned fills me with fear! Sad I know...
Old May 13th 2010, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hostels on road trip?!

We have done both when we have travelled around both islands We always take time out when we visit our daughter and family in Papamoa.

There are some very good free books with all sorts of accommodation from Motels to Hotels. Also get a good map showing the different streets in the places your want to visit.

On our first trip we motored from Papamoa to Christchurch taking the ferry from the North Island to the South Island and visa versa. We booked this a week before on line. No problems there. What we did with the help of the books was ring a motel the day before and booked a room. Again no problems. We stayed in Wanganui, Blenheim,Kaikoura, Christchurch, Nelson, Masterton & Napier.

Good luck.

June
Old May 13th 2010, 8:48 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

We've never pre-booked, always found good accomodation without any trouble, as June says there are plenty of free guides at airport or at information centres. Am sure you won't have a problem at this time of year.....just go for it!!

Re: buying a car....wish we'd known that you can actually test drive the cars at Turners auctions!

Happy travelling!!
B x
Old May 13th 2010, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

michellesimotich is an unknown quantity at this point

would definately recommend staying in hostels...lots of fun! When I came to NZ last time I spent a year travelling round and only ever stayed in backpackers. There's actually lots of really good one's here and as well as being cheap, you also get to meet lots of people. Have a look on Hostelworld.com or Hostelbookers.

When my sister and bestfriend came over at Christmas we went on a bit of a road trip and stayed in backpackers. My sister is a bit fussy about where she stays and was a bit dubious about the whole thing but she really enjoyed it - most places have private rooms and ensuite too, so not really roughing it.

You won't really have to pre-book this time of year as it's low season. Maybe though for busy places - Christchurch, Rotorua, Queenstown etc. it might pay to pre-book if you want a private room and also a bit less hassle trying to drive round and find places.

Anyways, if you want to know anything else, give me a shout!
Old May 14th 2010, 12:08 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnB

Re: buying a car....wish we'd known that you can actually test drive the cars at Turners auctions!

Happy travelling!!
B x
Trust me, the test track at turners is about 600 metres long and doesn't give you enough of a test to spot any problems. There is also a 50 kmh speed limit on it. The trade use Turners to off load the rough cars that the underwriters don't want..........buyer beware means a lot at Turners.

So, 'Monica'

If you want a car, have a set budget and know when you're coming over, I'll check out a few motors for you, on my travels.
Old May 14th 2010, 3:28 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sirplug
Trust me, the test track at turners is about 600 metres long and doesn't give you enough of a test to spot any problems. There is also a 50 kmh speed limit on it. The trade use Turners to off load the rough cars that the underwriters don't want..........buyer beware means a lot at Turners.

So, 'Monica'

If you want a car, have a set budget and know when you're coming over, I'll check out a few motors for you, on my travels.
Maybe so in Auckland but guy at Turners Tauranga told us to get car there a couple of days before sale so that it could be taken out for test drives OH questioned this and guy def said cars could be road driven by prospective purchasers.....sold our car privately now so won't be taking it to Turners
Old May 14th 2010, 5:18 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheryl,

PM me or send me a message on FB, I know someone with a campervan that do mate's rates if you still want to look into that. Just rushing out the door now.
Old May 14th 2010, 7:43 am

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Margaret, MnB & Michelle - sounds like you have all had positive experiences... put my mind at ease

We stumbled across the Turners auctions website last week, some amazing bargains! Some seem too good to be true really, from your comments Sir Plug it would seem thats the case!

Hubbys after a 4x4. I'll PM you with some details of models & budget etc, if you could keep an eye out for us that would be great!

Am-loolah, ooo sounds good, I've just messaged you on the book of faces

Last edited by Flower Pot; May 14th 2010 at 8:29 am.
Old May 14th 2010, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Chez, I've travelled around NZ many times and I too am a worrier about making sure I have a place to sleep (actually it's more the use of the bathroom ) but have found it really easy to look at where we'll be the following day and just book a day in advance. The backpackers are great, many have double rooms, and basic cabins on camp sites are well priced. Family and friends are a great stopgap too!!
On the car front, I wouldn't get anything too big and thirsty, I know fuel appears cheap(er) but if you want to travel alot why waste money when all you need is a reliable runner.
Old May 14th 2010, 1:39 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

We back-packered it last year. Worked out fine. We just booked the day before each trip and picked the places with the highest ratings.

WP
Old May 15th 2010, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flower Pot
Well hello again everyone

Having mulled it over we have decided travelling the islands in a campervan when we arrive is not the best method...
Its quite expensive for hire, then you have to leave a VERY expensive bond, plus we would only be able to afford one without a loo or shower so would be constantly on the look out for places to tinkle and bathe... and I couldn't stand feeling like a hobo!

Think we're going to buy a car and stay in hostels for 3 weeks of the month long trip, works out about the same money wise as if we would have hired a van and we are guaranteed bathroom facilities
Couldn't do dorms (irrational fear I would have a weirdo staring at me while I slept ) we will do private double rooms, only about £20 a night for the 2 of us
Final week we will lodge with hubbys uncle who lives near Welly - free accommodation!

Just wondered whether anyone has done this before?

Not sure whether to not pre-plan and just set off and stop where we want or plan the journey noting where the hostels are?

I am quite obsessive about planning, so much so that my nickname is Monica (of 'Friends' fame)... the thought of not having places booked and planned fills me with fear! Sad I know...
The Hostels in NZ are generally of a very high standard, especially a lot of the YHA owned/affiliated ones, you know what standard you will get and generally have good facilities and helpfull friendly staff.

Spent 3 months travelling around here 4 years back and have gone back to some of the hostels i stayed in then since I moved here! Good way to meet people and good value for money.

Depends when you are travelling, if it is busy tourist season or a holiday weekend I would suggest you think about booking in advance, same can be said for Queenstown which is always busy.

Good luck, it is an awesome way to see this country
Old May 16th 2010, 9:44 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

We travelled round like this, used buses on North Island and then brought a car in Nelson on South Island and sold it in Picton 6 weeks later. Used BBH hostels and always had a double room. Only tended to book day in advance so if we liked somewhere we could stay longer.
Old May 17th 2010, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Pay the YHA and BHB memberships to get you discounts on accommodation.
Old May 22nd 2010, 7:48 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

We stayed at a combination of YHA and BBH (independent) hostels in NZ during our 2 week blitz last year. We had a great time & even though I couldn't take advantage of cheap dorm rates (travelling with my daughter), it still turned out cheaper than I expected.

Hostels I'd recommend:
- Downtown Wellington Backpackers: staff weren't overly friendly but the building is cool, right nr train station etc and pleasantly social kitchen/dining room - plus a good mix of ages/nationalities
- Christchurch: Jailhouse was ok - cool concept & clean but no ensuites & a fair way out of town; Coachman's was fantastic - funky old building, right in middle of town nearby restaurants (Thai, Indian) were awesome, kitchens small but social, staff friendly PLUS they gave us a massive "family room" which made our last nights in NZ awesome; good heating too & a bar on-site (not that I got to spend any time there
- Tailor-made Tekapo (had our own 'unit', great fire, great staff - very helpful)
- Dunedin YHA (funky old building, friendly staff and guests)

Hostels we won't be staying with next time:
- Picton YHA (even though I had contacted them by email & phone to explain we'd be coming on the last ferry from Wellington & wouldn't arrive until almost 10pm AND that I was travelling with a 4 year old AND we pre-paid, they had still locked the doors & gone home when we arrived on their doorstep at 950pm. Had to wander the dark streets of an unfamiliar town with a 4 year old to find alternative accommodation), which leads us to:
- Picton Lodge: sadly the owner was so friendly & helpful, given our plight AND it was supercheap (about a 3rd of the cost of the YHA) BUT I got eaten by bedbugs, the beds smelled of feet and the bathrooms were freezing & just plain creepy (made of insulation or something - the stuff you'd use to make a coldroom freezer)
- Franz Josef YHA: garr, what a lame, cold and character-less dive; unhelpful staff having massive argument while we checked in, dirty kitchen, bland furnishings. The staff at the hostel over the road (Montrose?) were friendlier than those at our hostel and wish we'd stayed there instead!
- Queenstown YHA: a looooooooong way out of town when you're lugging a backpack & a preschooler; staff were friendly but guests were not; no ensuites and bathrooms a nightmare - like coffins in open view of everyone & flooded;

Phew, that rambled on! And the YHAs have not come out on top by any means - funny as I'd anticipated they would be the better hostels for travelling with a small child.

I hired a car through Ace Rentals - they seemed a lot cheaper than everyone else. Older vehicles though. We also used the Naked Bus for other travel - cheap cheap cheap bus travel although if you do consider it, book directly through Atomic Shuttles etc as Naked bus put you on their buses anyway BUT if you've booked through Naked Bus they won't pick up/drop off at your accommodation or be particularly helpful re: tickets or making changes.

Have a great time!!

www.bbh.co.nz is the BBH website.
Old May 28th 2010, 7:42 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

probably a bit late now but definitely definitely use hostels if they are available and well rated. I work for a charity and a big issue for us - like a lot of businesses it cost of accommodation. We have found time and time again that hostels are preferred by staff in some instances.

They have their own issues of course but depending on requirements you can get hostel rooms in good locations with tvs, air conditioning, private bathrooms and sometimes DVD players in the room. Ok not often DVD players but I spotted one recently.

Anyway, the reason I say that is cos when our staff were told to choose between budget motels slightly out of town or private rooms in hostels the hostels often came up trumps.

In saying that, don't rule out budget lines of hotels or using sites such as www.wotif.co.nz as they often have good rates. Also check the backs of supermarket receipts. Budget hotels which are often reasonably priced include Comfort Hotel, Travelodge and Kingsgate.

Actually, i know it's not NZ but I booked someone a room at the Sheraton at Heathrow for about £50 so it's a good site

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.