Horses?

Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Horses?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi Sarah, that's almost half what we pay for our daughters horse here - including feed. £80/mth.

Plus, they use him for everyone to ride as he's bomb proof - including young kids and RDA, which means we pay, on average £65/mth for shoes. My daughters now only go to Pony Club once a fortnight (everydays in school hols for free.) They charge my daughter who owns him £17:50 every other Saturday to ride him at Pony Club?! Hmmmm!
We lived on the edge of hunting country and at one point I was paying £120 a month for DIY livery in Cambs. It was a terrible place anyway so I moved him to a fantastic working farm near Peterborough... I was there until I emigrated. I'm lucky here in that I'm really happy where I keep my horse and he seems happy too. The rides are limited, remember theres no ancient rights of way here so check the local area to see where you can ride. Yes, theres lots of beautiful fields etc but you cant get on them.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katracy
That looks lovely, i can just see my daughter riding along there!!!! Even me if i can ever fit back into my riding outfit!!!!
Snap!! But I'm 6 months preggy now and cant fit in anything!!

I asked at the local pony club about keeping horses here when I first arrived and found out it was about $90 a month per horse.... that was for 24/7 grass livery (fields rotated and chain harrowed)... and it included winter hay and wormers!!.. and thats near Auckland!! Bound to be cheaper elsewhere.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:42 pm
In Albany and loving it!!

katracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nice

Originally Posted by SarahB

I asked at the local pony club about keeping horses here when I first arrived and found out it was about $90 a month per horse.... that was for 24/7 grass livery (fields rotated and chain harrowed)... and it included winter hay and wormers!!.. and thats near Auckland!! Bound to be cheaper elsewhere.
I will have to carry this on tomorrow, i am on early shift tomorrow. Up at 515am!! speak to you later
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:43 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I've also heard you've got to be careful where you walk your dogs. Most beaches are off limits? Is that true or is it seasonal like here in the depths of Hell?!
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I've also heard you've got to be careful where you walk your dogs. Most beaches are off limits? Is that true or is it seasonal like here in the depths of Hell?!
There was some threads about dog walking.... sorry I dont know the ins and outs of where you can walk your dog... somebody will though.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 8:28 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Hello:
I ride a bit here. I have two horses:
I left a horse with my sister in Northants and one in Cambs with a trusty friend.
I took the Northants one with me when I originally moved to Sydney. It was US $10,000 . Use IRT if you bring Amber. They take the best care of them and they have one to one grooms and monitor them constantly. I don't know if they do quarantine when they get to NZ though. At the riding club I go to each week, several English people have bought horses over.

Here in NZ, I ride with friends on their horses - people seem to have horses coming out of their ears here and they are easy to pick up off of the track as SarahB says.

Most people box their horses up to go riding unless they're lucky enough to have riding nearby or live on a farm (generally speaking).

The horse scene in NZ is similar enough to the UK. They do feed things like Magnesium due to imbalances in the soil because they can get Rye Grass Staggers here. Howeaver, don't worry about this - people are helpful and not snobby here about their horses (generally).

I still send money home for my old boy in the UK (the one that's 34 and witha friend). It costs me about 100 bux a week. Here my neighbour was complaining about keeping a pony and doing nothing with it and it costing here.... wait for it .... $500 bux A YEAR! (She has her own house and land, wish I did!).

There are a lot of organised treks, plenty of shows and eventing and hunting. Hunting's more relaxed - t hey don't have foxes - they hunt hares. I hate killing things but I thought I'd tell you anyway!!!!!!!
Day to day, the riding is not asa good as the UK if you count accessibility because the wonderful most prized thing about the UK is Bridleways, Byways and access to the countryside. It is more limited here. However, when you do get on that beach it's fab as is some of the bush scenery here!

You can take dogs on a lot of the beaches here. I take mine to Waihi, Papamoa if we drive out that way and drove up to Whangamata the other week. In summer when they're busy I dont' think you would take them on unless it was before the 'rush'.

We like NZ when it's warm and I love Aus. However it is hands down a billion times safer and kinder to animals over here in NZ.

Well that's my experience. I couldn't have sold my boys so I know what you mean. Another thing I miss here is just going and doing a cross country comp or hunter trial. They dont' do them on their own. If I win lotto I"m setting one up cos I'll buy land then :-)
Old Oct 19th 2006, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Mumo... hows it going? I thought youd be able to help with this thread.

I was wondering Mumo, what is a Ribbon Day?? Is it just like a horse show? I noticed the Pony Clubs have them but Ive not been to one (way too old!!! ) and was wondering if it is just like the gymkhanas/shows we have back in the UK? Do the hunts organise shows here too?

Do they do specific breed shows over here? I have taken my arab to a couple of arabian only shows back in UK and wondered if its the same here?

Thanks for any help.

SarahB
Old Oct 19th 2006, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya... I suppose it depends if you have the financial means to bring your horse here and also where you are moving to... the reason I say that is that my chestnut arabian would totally hate the climate here in Auckland and wouldve been very unhappy if Id brought him out. He was photosensitive and also had mud fever and rain scald in the past so making him live in this wet and warm climate up here wouldve been the wrong thing for me to do.

I left my arab with my best friend back in the UK. I could never sell him and I trust her with my life let alone my horse. I speak to her regularly and she is going to send me some recent pictures soon. Its not like Ive sold him and Im still his owner. She loves him as much as I do.

There is certainly no shortage of horses here for sale. They range from a few hundred bucks for a failed racing Standardbred/Thoroughbred up to thousands .

I have met people who have brought their own horses out here though. It just wasnt the right thing for my horse. I feel like I definately made the right decision but everybodys situation/circumstances are different.

Its really reasonable to keep a pony or horse at the pony clubs near here and the horses live out 24/7. My horse is at grass livery and seems pretty happy. .. I pay $120 a month but I dont have to go every day as the Yard Owner checks them for you.... he also feeds them hay in the winter, included in the price.

Yes, I get to ride on a beach, and round the mangroves.... its lovely... something I always wanted to do. I'm now pregnant and my have turned my horse away for a few months (hes only 4 anyway)... but looking forward to riding him again next year. If youre interested theres going to be a feature and picture of my horse here (Zack) in Your Horse magazine which goes on sale in the UK on 16th November.

I dont know what its like to keep horses further south.... maybe somebody else can answer.
I can't believe how cheap that is to keep Horses there. I knew it would be cheaper but really didn't think it would be that low, I'm pleasantly surprised.

I get Your Horse so will be looking out for you
Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:06 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Mumo... hows it going? I thought youd be able to help with this thread.

I was wondering Mumo, what is a Ribbon Day?? Is it just like a horse show? I noticed the Pony Clubs have them but Ive not been to one (way too old!!! ) and was wondering if it is just like the gymkhanas/shows we have back in the UK? Do the hunts organise shows here too?

Do they do specific breed shows over here? I have taken my arab to a couple of arabian only shows back in UK and wondered if its the same here?

Thanks for any help.

SarahB

Usually a ribbon day is sort of what we'd call an unaffiliated fun type of show. You know about the A and P shows? Bit like our county shows but smaller usually (not always) They carry the same amount of excitement and preparation! They seem to have sections for Arabs, donkeys, golden horses, sidesaddle, minatures, clydesdales. The Cambridge one is on 25 Nov at the Trotting Track. I'm going to do the terrier racing (lack of own horse).

The Hunt I know here (Waikato) organises treks more than anything. I'm doing a 2 day one with them in Feb and sleeping out under the stars. Hope the weather's kind. I know the riding will be wonderful and the company will be very sociable (drunk more like).
They run a Hunter Trial each year but it's not like we know them. It's judged on style. There's a hunt race too and somethign called Tip and Out. I think if your horse touches it you have to leave the ring. They also have something called Round the Ring bit like Working Hunter but you jump over huge things outside the ring too. i.e. full wires.

I wonder if the mag you're gonna star in has an annual list of the shows. If not the breed societies would.

Hope this helps a bit. Mumo
Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Usually a ribbon day is sort of what we'd call an unaffiliated fun type of show. You know about the A and P shows? Bit like our county shows but smaller usually (not always) They carry the same amount of excitement and preparation! They seem to have sections for Arabs, donkeys, golden horses, sidesaddle, minatures, clydesdales. The Cambridge one is on 25 Nov at the Trotting Track. I'm going to do the terrier racing (lack of own horse).

The Hunt I know here (Waikato) organises treks more than anything. I'm doing a 2 day one with them in Feb and sleeping out under the stars. Hope the weather's kind. I know the riding will be wonderful and the company will be very sociable (drunk more like).
They run a Hunter Trial each year but it's not like we know them. It's judged on style. There's a hunt race too and somethign called Tip and Out. I think if your horse touches it you have to leave the ring. They also have something called Round the Ring bit like Working Hunter but you jump over huge things outside the ring too. i.e. full wires.

I wonder if the mag you're gonna star in has an annual list of the shows. If not the breed societies would.

Hope this helps a bit. Mumo
Thanks for the info... not sure what I will do with Zack in the future. I'll have my hands full I expect with new bub and DS. I'll need a trailor as well to get him places. At least hes very young so we have many years ahead of us. I cant show him as he hasnt got the looks or presence... I'd be more interested in doing long distance rides with him as I hear Standardbreds are pretty good at them.

The magazine Zack is featured in next month is a UK based one. I just found their website.. http://www.yourhorse.co.uk/

Do they do point-to-points here? They were always good for a day out...oh and losing money
Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:43 am
Member of Mumo-land

Thanks for the info... not sure what I will do with Zack in the future. I'll have my hands full I expect with new bub and DS. I'll need a trailor as well to get him places. At least hes very young so we have many years ahead of us. I cant show him as he hasnt got the looks or presence... I'd be more interested in doing long distance rides with him as I hear Standardbreds are pretty good at them.

The magazine Zack is featured in next month is a UK based one. I just found their website.. http://www.yourhorse.co.uk/

Do they do point-to-points here? They were always good for a day out...oh and losing money

Oh my sis was in that a couple of years back with my bay horse that I left with her. Is it the 'You and Your Horse' category just inside the back cover?
Each small town (round here anyway) seems to have a track and they seem to also have races on the beach - they do at Waihi and also have Boxing Day fun races too.
There are proper endurance rides here and generally they're well run. Also they've started up LeTrec too which is quite good. A bit of everything... You'll have a pony for your little boy before you know it
PS It is not a trailer it is now called a FLOAT . they sell Ifor Williams ones near me now too. They're getting very popular too and they're not a bad price . If only I had land and a horse of my own!
Old Oct 19th 2006, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Oh my sis was in that a couple of years back with my bay horse that I left with her. Is it the 'You and Your Horse' category just inside the back cover?
Each small town (round here anyway) seems to have a track and they seem to also have races on the beach - they do at Waihi and also have Boxing Day fun races too.
There are proper endurance rides here and generally they're well run. Also they've started up LeTrec too which is quite good. A bit of everything... You'll have a pony for your little boy before you know it
PS It is not a trailer it is now called a FLOAT . they sell Ifor Williams ones near me now too. They're getting very popular too and they're not a bad price . If only I had land and a horse of my own!
I dont know what the feature is called. She'll send me a copy next month.

My DS is not interested in the slightest in ponies... hes into anything with wheels, gadgets, pinball machines and playing with his friends. But Im expecting a little girl so maybe she will share my love of horses.... or maybe not!! lol

I know its a float and rugs are covers. I still use British words for things just out of habit. I still call crisps crisps and not chips...and sweets are sweets and not lollies...my son is gonna be confused isnt he? Maybe one day I will get used to it but old habits die hard.