Horses?

Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:19 pm
  #1  
In Albany and loving it!!
Thread Starter
 
katracy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: albany
Posts: 110
katracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nice
Smile Horses?

Hi, at last i have found my way on!! We are hoping to move to nz sometime next year, but my 17 yr old daughter won't come unless she can bring her horse (my 7 yr old won't come unless he can bring his girlfriend and my 8 yr old is only coming for a holiday for 10 yrs!). Is this a wise choice? Any answer to show her would be very helpful. Thank you
katracy is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:28 pm
  #2  
Sue
BE Co-Founder
 
Sue's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2000
Location: Florida
Posts: 25,928
Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Horses?

Originally Posted by katracy
Hi, at last i have found my way on!! We are hoping to move to nz sometime next year, but my 17 yr old daughter won't come unless she can bring her horse (my 7 yr old won't come unless he can bring his girlfriend and my 8 yr old is only coming for a holiday for 10 yrs!). Is this a wise choice? Any answer to show her would be very helpful. Thank you
Welcome to the site.

I can't help with the horse thing, but you could try searching for some posts by SarahB. She had a horse back in the UK (didn't take it to NZ), and has now got a new horse in NZ. I'm sure she will be along shortly and will be able to answer some of the questions you may have.
Sue is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2006, 7:34 pm
  #3  
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Horses?

Originally Posted by katracy
Hi, at last i have found my way on!! We are hoping to move to nz sometime next year, but my 17 yr old daughter won't come unless she can bring her horse (my 7 yr old won't come unless he can bring his girlfriend and my 8 yr old is only coming for a holiday for 10 yrs!). Is this a wise choice? Any answer to show her would be very helpful. Thank you
Hi and wlecome to the madhouse!

We've managed to convince our 14 year old daughter to leave hers here and accept the offer of a better, bigger, all singing, all dancing one when we get there! Our 11 year old is also due her own now and SarahB's the one for useful links and sound advice.

We've also opted out of bringing all saddles, tack, boots, body protectors etc due to the mammoth cleaning task and they're abit worn and on the small side now too.

The sheer cost, plus his age, meant it just wouldn't be right for us. He's 14 and I'm not sure would survive the journey - which would be far more traumatic for her

Cheers.

Caroline
Am Loolah is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2006, 8:23 pm
  #4  
 
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 2,717
Pony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Horses?

I left my horse in England. I gifted her to a very close friend who I knew I could trust to give her a good home. Maybe your daughter can 'loan' her horse to a friend. That way it will not seem so final.

I bought a new horse here, and he is everything I could wish for.

It is difficult to leave a loved one behind, but sometimes it is just the right thing to do.



Originally Posted by katracy
Hi, at last i have found my way on!! We are hoping to move to nz sometime next year, but my 17 yr old daughter won't come unless she can bring her horse (my 7 yr old won't come unless he can bring his girlfriend and my 8 yr old is only coming for a holiday for 10 yrs!). Is this a wise choice? Any answer to show her would be very helpful. Thank you
Pony is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:00 pm
  #5  
In Albany and loving it!!
Thread Starter
 
katracy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: albany
Posts: 110
katracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nice
Default Re: Horses?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi and wlecome to the madhouse!

We've managed to convince our 14 year old daughter to leave hers here and accept the offer of a better, bigger, all singing, all dancing one when we get there! Our 11 year old is also due her own now and SarahB's the one for useful links and sound advice.

We've also opted out of bringing all saddles, tack, boots, body protectors etc due to the mammoth cleaning task and they're abit worn and on the small side now too.

The sheer cost, plus his age, meant it just wouldn't be right for us. He's 14 and I'm not sure would survive the journey - which would be far more traumatic for her

Cheers.

Caroline
I think i shall have to have another word with my daughter. Anyone know what the stables and riding areas are like in nz in general?
katracy is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:02 pm
  #6  
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Horses?

Originally Posted by katracy
I think i shall have to have another word with my daughter. Anyone know what the stables and riding areas are like in nz in general?
What area are you looking at settling in?

Doubt bribery has much impact when they're 17 though!!
Am Loolah is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:07 pm
  #7  
In Albany and loving it!!
Thread Starter
 
katracy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: albany
Posts: 110
katracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nice
Default Re: Horses?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
What area are you looking at settling in?

Doubt bribery has much impact when they're 17 though!!
We are looking at Bay of plenty, (but job will decide)! I keep showing her pictures of the beaches, horses, hills that she could 'hopeful' ride in. her horse is only 7 years old, very loving. Feel like i am going round in circles talking about taking it/not taking it.
katracy is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:13 pm
  #8  
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Horses?

Originally Posted by katracy
We are looking at Bay of plenty, (but job will decide)! I keep showing her pictures of the beaches, horses, hills that she could 'hopeful' ride in. her horse is only 7 years old, very loving. Feel like i am going round in circles talking about taking it/not taking it.
Snap!! We're going Bay of Plenty too!! We've put horses quite some way down our list of priorities. You know- holiday accommodation, then unfurnished rental when the container arrives, then looking to buy, jobs, cars, the dogs being shipped, schools, hairdresser etc, etc. In no particular order. (Obviously dogs come first!!)
Am Loolah is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:18 pm
  #9  
In Albany and loving it!!
Thread Starter
 
katracy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: albany
Posts: 110
katracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nice
Default Re: Horses?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Snap!! We're going Bay of Plenty too!! We've put horses quite some way down our list of priorities. You know- holiday accommodation, then unfurnished rental when the container arrives, then looking to buy, jobs, cars, the dogs being shipped, schools, hairdresser etc, etc. In no particular order. (Obviously dogs come first!!)
Yes our dog is top of the list to!! . He's of to vets next wk to make sure his passport is up to date!! So much to organize and sort out and now my youngest wants to take his girlfriend (They are both 7). great!!!
katracy is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:19 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
SarahB's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Beachlands, East Auckland
Posts: 2,957
SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Horses?

Hiya... I suppose it depends if you have the financial means to bring your horse here and also where you are moving to... the reason I say that is that my chestnut arabian would totally hate the climate here in Auckland and wouldve been very unhappy if Id brought him out. He was photosensitive and also had mud fever and rain scald in the past so making him live in this wet and warm climate up here wouldve been the wrong thing for me to do.

I left my arab with my best friend back in the UK. I could never sell him and I trust her with my life let alone my horse. I speak to her regularly and she is going to send me some recent pictures soon. Its not like Ive sold him and Im still his owner. She loves him as much as I do.

There is certainly no shortage of horses here for sale. They range from a few hundred bucks for a failed racing Standardbred/Thoroughbred up to thousands .

I have met people who have brought their own horses out here though. It just wasnt the right thing for my horse. I feel like I definately made the right decision but everybodys situation/circumstances are different.

Its really reasonable to keep a pony or horse at the pony clubs near here and the horses live out 24/7. My horse is at grass livery and seems pretty happy. .. I pay $120 a month but I dont have to go every day as the Yard Owner checks them for you.... he also feeds them hay in the winter, included in the price.

Yes, I get to ride on a beach, and round the mangroves.... its lovely... something I always wanted to do. I'm now pregnant and my have turned my horse away for a few months (hes only 4 anyway)... but looking forward to riding him again next year. If youre interested theres going to be a feature and picture of my horse here (Zack) in Your Horse magazine which goes on sale in the UK on 16th November.


I dont know what its like to keep horses further south.... maybe somebody else can answer.
SarahB is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:26 pm
  #11  
In Albany and loving it!!
Thread Starter
 
katracy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: albany
Posts: 110
katracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nice
Default Re: Horses?

Originally Posted by SarahB
Hiya... I suppose it depends if you have the financial means to bring your horse here and also where you are moving to... the reason I say that is that my chestnut arabian would totally hate the climate here in Auckland and wouldve been very unhappy if Id brought him out. He was photosensitive and also had mud fever and rain scald in the past so making him live in this wet and warm climate up here wouldve been the wrong thing for me to do.

I left my arab with my best friend back in the UK. I could never sell him and I trust her with my life let alone my horse. I speak to her regularly and she is going to send me some recent pictures soon. Its not like Ive sold him and Im still his owner. She loves him as much as I do.

There is certainly no shortage of horses here for sale. They range from a few hundred bucks for a failed racing Standardbred/Thoroughbred up to thousands .

I have met people who have brought their own horses out here though. It just wasnt the right thing for my horse. I feel like I definately made the right decision but everybodys situation/circumstances are different.

Its really reasonable to keep a pony or horse at the pony clubs near here and the horses live out 24/7. My horse is at grass livery and seems pretty happy. .. I pay $120 a month but I dont have to go every day as the Yard Owner checks them for you.... he also feeds them hay in the winter, included in the price.

Yes, I get to ride on a beach, and round the mangroves.... its lovely... something I always wanted to do. I'm now pregnant and my have turned my horse away for a few months (hes only 4 anyway)... but looking forward to riding him again next year. If youre interested theres going to be a feature and picture of my horse here (Zack) in Your Horse magazine which goes on sale in the UK on 16th November.


I dont know what its like to keep horses further south.... maybe somebody else can answer.
Thank you. i was wondering about the climate, although living in yorkshire we have lots of rain!! That price for keeping it is certainly cheaper than the UK. I current pay £65 a month and thats without hay and straw!!! i shall keep my eye out for your pictures and show them to my daughter. I thought it might be expensive to get her (horse, Amber) over here, that is my main argument with her about it. :scared:
katracy is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:27 pm
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
SarahB's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Beachlands, East Auckland
Posts: 2,957
SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Horses?

I see you are moving to BoP... we have been there for a weekend away... its nice. There seemed to be plenty of fields around (that was my priority when we moved here and one reason why we moved from Wattle Downs out to Beachlands)

Heres a pic of one of the beaches in Papamoa, BoP.
Attached Thumbnails Horses?-dcp_1969.jpg   Horses?-dcp_1966.jpg  
SarahB is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:32 pm
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
 
SarahB's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Beachlands, East Auckland
Posts: 2,957
SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Horses?

Originally Posted by katracy
Thank you. i was wondering about the climate, although living in yorkshire we have lots of rain!! That price for keeping it is certainly cheaper than the UK. I current pay £65 a month and thats without hay and straw!!! i shall keep my eye out for your pictures and show them to my daughter. I thought it might be expensive to get her (horse, Amber) over here, that is my main argument with her about it. :scared:
I never even looked into the cost of it. My OH got headhunted and offered a job out here and my first text was to my mate asking if she'd have my horse if I moved to NZ. He doesnt really like to travel much either and is very highly strung... I had visions of him freaking out on the journey here and having to be shot. But I'm so glad I didnt as its just so humid and warm here.

Some people advertise their horses on TradeMe (like Ebay)... its just a selling tool, you dont buy them without trying them out... here have a look.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Eque...0382-1349-.htm
SarahB is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:32 pm
  #14  
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Horses?

Originally Posted by SarahB
Hiya... I suppose it depends if you have the financial means to bring your horse here and also where you are moving to... the reason I say that is that my chestnut arabian would totally hate the climate here in Auckland and wouldve been very unhappy if Id brought him out. He was photosensitive and also had mud fever and rain scald in the past so making him live in this wet and warm climate up here wouldve been the wrong thing for me to do.

I left my arab with my best friend back in the UK. I could never sell him and I trust her with my life let alone my horse. I speak to her regularly and she is going to send me some recent pictures soon. Its not like Ive sold him and Im still his owner. She loves him as much as I do.

There is certainly no shortage of horses here for sale. They range from a few hundred bucks for a failed racing Standardbred/Thoroughbred up to thousands .

I have met people who have brought their own horses out here though. It just wasnt the right thing for my horse. I feel like I definately made the right decision but everybodys situation/circumstances are different.

Its really reasonable to keep a pony or horse at the pony clubs near here and the horses live out 24/7. My horse is at grass livery and seems pretty happy. .. I pay $120 a month but I dont have to go every day as the Yard Owner checks them for you.... he also feeds them hay in the winter, included in the price.

Yes, I get to ride on a beach, and round the mangroves.... its lovely... something I always wanted to do. I'm now pregnant and my have turned my horse away for a few months (hes only 4 anyway)... but looking forward to riding him again next year. If youre interested theres going to be a feature and picture of my horse here (Zack) in Your Horse magazine which goes on sale in the UK on 16th November.


I dont know what its like to keep horses further south.... maybe somebody else can answer.
Hi Sarah, that's almost half what we pay for our daughters horse here - including feed. £80/mth.

Plus, they use him for everyone to ride as he's bomb proof - including young kids and RDA, which means we pay, on average £65/mth for shoes. My daughters now only go to Pony Club once a fortnight (everydays in school hols for free.) They charge my daughter who owns him £17:50 every other Saturday to ride him at Pony Club?! Hmmmm!
Am Loolah is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:33 pm
  #15  
In Albany and loving it!!
Thread Starter
 
katracy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: albany
Posts: 110
katracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nice
Default Re: Horses?

Originally Posted by SarahB
I see you are moving to BoP... we have been there for a weekend away... its nice. There seemed to be plenty of fields around (that was my priority when we moved here and one reason why we moved from Wattle Downs out to Beachlands)

Heres a pic of one of the beaches in Papamoa, BoP.
That looks lovely, i can just see my daughter riding along there!!!! Even me if i can ever fit back into my riding outfit!!!!
katracy is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.