Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Horrific crash on M5 in Somerset

Horrific crash on M5 in Somerset

Old Nov 6th 2011, 9:30 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Horrific crash on M5 in Somerset

No point in discussing the cause and contributing factors, our accident investigators know from past experiences what is wrong and uncontrollable. Just think to yourself with the numbers of dead and seriously injured people how many hundreds of lives are effected. Christmas 2011 will not be the same for lots this year. I see C's point but this year it landed on my doorstep, earlier this year it was yours, lets just hope we can learn as we go along....otherwise it will keep on happening....
Old Nov 6th 2011, 10:55 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

You fence occupiers! I accuse them of having a stunted emotional intelligence, they accuse me of having no emotions. Then you lot come along with your happy mediums and reasoned views. Moderates the rest of you!

As for the cause of the crash, let he without sin cast the first stone. Who hasn’t had a lapse in judgment or made a poor choice while driving? Only 999 in 1000 times or more you end up just fine or with only a little scare. Seven people, whether they made mistakes or not, ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time as the odds met that thousandth turn at once.

Tomorrow people will get in their cars and play the same game of ultra-low probability Russian roulette all over again. The only real value to be taken aware is on making the odds longer in future (safer roads, cars and driving). Playing the game is all part of life, we can’t quit. Eventually that thousandth roll of the dice gets us all be it in accidents, health or old age.

People should embrace the philosophical side of this and make some peace with the idea of death. It’s an important and concrete reality for us finite humans; almost everything else in life is an option. In a nihilistic sense when we die you will leave only a few waves and, over a short time, they too will be indistinguishable and your name forgotten. The interesting thing is that, in my view, people project their own feelings about mortality when others die in a contemplative way. Some cry and scream if they want to cling onto life desperately, some contemplate the times they enjoyed and stand quietly in though, others chat amongst each other thankful that in the moment they are still with those they care about, a few wonder if they couldn’t help people live a little longer and enjoy life more and are productively compelled.

Just choices in dealing with a certain ending. Fin.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 11:04 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Charismatic
You fence occupiers! I accuse them of having a stunted emotional intelligence, they accuse me of having no emotions. Then you lot come along with your happy mediums and reasoned views. Moderates the rest of you!

As for the cause of the crash, let he without sin cast the first stone. Who hasn’t had a lapse in judgment or made a poor choice while driving? Only 999 in 1000 times or more you end up just fine or with only a little scare. Seven people, whether they made mistakes or not, ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time as the odds met that thousandth turn at once.

Tomorrow people will get in their cars and play the same game of ultra-low probability Russian roulette all over again. The only real value to be taken aware is on making the odds longer in future (safer roads, cars and driving). Playing the game is all part of life, we can’t quit. Eventually that thousandth roll of the dice gets us all be it in accidents, health or old age.

People should embrace the philosophical side of this and make some peace with the idea of death. It’s an important and concrete reality for us finite humans; almost everything else in life is an option. In a nihilistic sense when we die you will leave only a few waves and, over a short time, they too will be indistinguishable and your name forgotten. The interesting thing is that, in my view, people project their own feelings about mortality when others die in a contemplative way. Some cry and scream if they want to cling onto life desperately, some contemplate the times they enjoyed and stand quietly in though, others chat amongst each other thankful that in the moment they are still with those they care about, a few wonder if they couldn’t help people live a little longer and enjoy life more and are productively compelled.

That was really lovely to read, and certainly made me think. The only aspect of it I am struggling with is the bit at the end. If a loved one dies, my crying would simply be an an unstoppable manifestation of anguish - contemplation would happen much later.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 12:03 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

When I get up in the morning there are dozens of posts all written upside down, by the time I have read them the authors have all drunk into a semi stupor and retired to bed.....hence my replies/responses are somewhat tardy....(posh for late!).
When people relate in any form to a disaster they become 'involved' and hence do not want to hear anything but sympathy. C you sometimes come across a little 'harsh' but from previous posts I realise this is you.
With the mining disasters both in Wales and PRC I immediately investigated as to wether I knew of the involvement, I didn't, hence although sorry my level of grief was diluted....I think naturally.
Assisted death has been a big issue for a while in the UK with Switzerland being so close hence the embracing of our own demise and coping with death has been greatly debated......however, sudden, unplanned and unexpected tragedy brings with it massive shock, and to some the remembering of the same. This reaction can quite often lead to anger so those of us that can embrace great loss or indeed not relate to a disaster easier should, I think, try to be more thoughtful....
Old Nov 6th 2011, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic

Well said. Treat every date as if its your last because one day it will be.

June
Old Nov 7th 2011, 12:05 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
Well said. Treat every date as if its your last because one day it will be.

June
How much dating do you do!!!!
Old Nov 7th 2011, 1:19 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheene
LOL
"cheque please...!"
Old Nov 7th 2011, 10:37 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has touched a nerve.......for those of you who have voiced your concern and care.....we're all ok thanks

Our son came off the M5 at Jnct 25 when he saw 'accident' on the matrix sign, at that point there was no fire or emergency vehicles visible, a car that went past him as he turned off was shown as a wreck amongst the carnage.

For those families that were not so fortunate it's going to be a very sad Christmas......the two lorry drivers that were among the seven people who lost their lives were fathers...one had five children and one had four.

It's with thanks to the brave members of the emergency services and other motorists that there were not more deaths.

I'm saddened that what started out as a 'show of concern' seems to have turned into a bit of a debate ......

Thanks, love & best wishes
B
Old Nov 7th 2011, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheene
Sorry but that should have said day.

I sympathies with all concerned.

June