Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hoping for photo of GrtGf soldiers grave-Karori Cemetery. Wellington

Wikiposts

Hoping for photo of GrtGf soldiers grave-Karori Cemetery. Wellington

Old May 27th 2011, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

AboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hoping for photo of GrtGf soldiers grave-Karori Cemetery. Wellington

Different Angles

Great War Veteran Richard Cruise by AboHadi, on Flickr

An even closer look

Better resolution/larger size can be found on my flickr page. If you want any specific photo(s) in even a better resolution/larger size please let me know and I can upload it/them for you. If you prefer, once you have taken the photos that you like, I can delete them from flickr..

---

P.S Look at the painting job BEVS
Old May 28th 2011, 11:54 am
Just Joined

lpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hoping for photo of GrtGf soldiers grave-Karori Cemetery. Wellington

Originally Posted by AboHadi

Different Angles

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2385/...7e355f26_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5228/...32b805c9_z.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2386/...33f43242_z.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2184/...8e6aaeaa_z.jpg

An even closer look
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2122/...0fe46fe7_z.jpg

Better resolution/larger size can be found on my flickr page. If you want any specific photo(s) in even a better resolution/larger size please let me know and I can upload it/them for you. If you prefer, once you have taken the photos that you like, I can delete them from flickr..

---

What fantastic photographs AboHadi! I am so grateful. My father, also Richard Cruise, will be here tomorrow so we can go through the site and look at the photographs. Thank you so much!

I still cannot believe that my posting, which was made not even knowing if there was a plaque, or whether the story of Richard joining the Anzacs was true, has led to this amazing outcome. Not only do we now know the story passed down was true, but we also know that his final resting place is not the forgotten plot we feared - but a headstone beautifully and respectfully kept by the people of New Zealand. We feared he lay forgotten with no family to care, but we were wrong. Bevs sent me a private email with the first photos and wrote 'Richard is found.' I was so touched I cried. I just want to say thank you so much to all you wonderful wonderful people. No wonder Richard chose to stay with you. He belongs in New Zealand. He was home.

Last edited by lpool; May 28th 2011 at 12:01 pm.
Old May 28th 2011, 3:17 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lpool
What fantastic photographs AboHadi! I am so grateful. My father, also Richard Cruise, will be here tomorrow so we can go through the site and look at the photographs. Thank you so much!

I still cannot believe that my posting, which was made not even knowing if there was a plaque, or whether the story of Richard joining the Anzacs was true, has led to this amazing outcome. Not only do we now know the story passed down was true, but we also know that his final resting place is not the forgotten plot we feared - but a headstone beautifully and respectfully kept by the people of New Zealand. We feared he lay forgotten with no family to care, but we were wrong. Bevs sent me a private email with the first photos and wrote 'Richard is found.' I was so touched I cried. I just want to say thank you so much to all you wonderful wonderful people. No wonder Richard chose to stay with you. He belongs in New Zealand. He was home.
Beautiful post, beautiful photographs and beautiful outcome.
Old May 28th 2011, 4:40 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic photos Abu Hadi And so kind of you to do that for Ipool.

Ipool, I've been reading this thread but not been able to help unfortunately. I am really pleased you got the result and answers you were seeking and best wishes to your father.
Old May 30th 2011, 4:25 am
Just Joined

lpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Hoping for photo of GrtGf soldiers grave-Karori Cemetery. Wellington

Originally Posted by Persephone
Fantastic photos Abu Hadi And so kind of you to do that for Ipool.

Ipool, I've been reading this thread but not been able to help unfortunately. I am really pleased you got the result and answers you were seeking and best wishes to your father.
Thank you. We are so happy.
Old May 30th 2011, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

A fantastic outcome...so proud of this forum
Old May 30th 2011, 3:45 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Those really are first class pieces of photography AboHadu. Blown away by them actually. Stunning. I particularly like the black & white one where the light comes across from the left.

Don't be a stranger now AboHadu. We are all expats together, just like Richard Cruise.

LPool. I am really pleased for the positive outcome. I hope you've managed to print off some copies to keep for you and your family & that your Dad feels happy & proud to now know about his Grandad.
Old May 31st 2011, 1:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
Those really are first class pieces of photography AboHadu. Blown away by them actually. Stunning. I particularly like the black & white one where the light comes across from the left.

Don't be a stranger now AboHadu. We are all expats together, just like Richard Cruise.

LPool. I am really pleased for the positive outcome. I hope you've managed to print off some copies to keep for you and your family & that your Dad feels happy & proud to now know about his Grandad.
Prouder than you can imagine, and that photograph you mention is also my favourite. I have printed them all off and shall keep them forever!

This forum and its fantastic members rose to the occasion magnificently. What a result!
Old May 31st 2011, 1:43 am
Just Joined

Different Angles

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2385/...7e355f26_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5228/...32b805c9_z.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2386/...33f43242_z.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2184/...8e6aaeaa_z.jpg

An even closer look
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2122/...0fe46fe7_z.jpg

---

I have now printed off all the photographs you uploaded onto Flickr and we will keep them forever as part of Richard's story. They are fantastic photographs and your kindness (and talent) are very much appreciated.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

AboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud of

Good morning / afternoon / evening everyone(that should cover all parts of the world!)

Lpool.. I am very glad you have liked the photographs. I am also very honored that you have decided to print them off and keep them (although I am sorry the ones I uploaded had the signature at the bottom - didn't notice that until after I uploaded the photos as this is an automatic action when I export the photos from Lightroom, the program I use for post-processing)

Please pass my regards to your father, and your family
---

For the other BE lovely members. I am pleased you have liked the photos too.. This forum has a good feel/atmosphere that would probably make me visit more often

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 2:42 am
Just Joined

Good morning / afternoon / evening everyone(that should cover all parts of the world!)

Lpool.. I am very glad you have liked the photographs. I am also very honored that you have decided to print them off and keep them (although I am sorry the ones I uploaded had the signature at the bottom - didn't notice that until after I uploaded the photos as this is an automatic action when I export the photos from Lightroom, the program I use for post-processing)

Please pass my regards to your father, and your family
---

For the other BE lovely members. I am pleased you have liked the photos too.. This forum has a good feel/atmosphere that would probably make me visit more often

AboHadi I am happy to see your signature because this lovely story is going into the family history!
Old Apr 4th 2012, 5:38 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Hoping for photo of GrtGf soldiers grave-Karori Cemetery. Wellington

At the time I posted a request for help on behalf of my dad - to find his grandfather's grave - we didn't even know if it still existed, and we never expected the amazing response. I cannot tell you what a lift it gave to my father. He has terminal cancer and other health issues but he is a very positive person and the help and sheer kindness of the people on this site was completely overwhelming. He still enjoys the photos taken by the genealogy volunteer and the amazing images on Flickr by AboHadi and all the info sent to us by Bev. He has kept them all. Last year I told you he was too ill to travel. He has just announced that he is going to visit his grandfather's grave early next year or late this year. The diagnosis remains the same but I do think a goal to aim for and positive thinking goes a long way. He has already bought the remembrance cross for his grandfather's grave and priced his flights. I don't doubt he will make it and I just wanted to thank all you lovely lovely people for giving him such a fantastic boost and making what seemed impossible, possible now. A huge thank you and much much love.

Last edited by lpool; Apr 4th 2012 at 5:42 am. Reason: misspelling
Old Apr 4th 2012, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

At the time I posted a request for help on behalf of my dad - to find his grandfather's grave - we didn't even know if it still existed, and we never expected the amazing response. I cannot tell you what a lift it gave to my father. He has terminal cancer and other health issues but he is a very positive person and the help and sheer kindness of the people on this site was completely overwhelming. He still enjoys the photos taken by the genealogy volunteer and the amazing images on Flickr by AboHadi and all the info sent to us by Bev. He has kept them all. Last year I told you he was too ill to travel. He has just announced that he is going to visit his grandfather's grave early next year or late this year. The diagnosis remains the same but I do think a goal to aim for and positive thinking goes a long way. He has already bought the remembrance cross for his grandfather's grave and priced his flights. I don't doubt he will make it and I just wanted to thank all you lovely lovely people for giving him such a fantastic boost and making what seemed impossible, possible now. A huge thank you and much much love.
What a lovely post. I hope your Dad will be fit enough to travel to visit in person, what he has seen in photos.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 4:44 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely post indeed! I can only imagine how happy the recipients of AboHadi's lovely photos are, wow!

EDIT: Why does it say I can't give reputation to his posts?

Last edited by Kija; Apr 4th 2012 at 4:47 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 10:13 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

fantastic post, my husband works in Karori so may just have to pop along one lunchtime