Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hoping for photo of GrtGf soldiers grave-Karori Cemetery. Wellington

Hoping for photo of GrtGf soldiers grave-Karori Cemetery. Wellington

Old May 26th 2011, 2:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Hoping for photo of GrtGf soldiers grave-Karori Cemetery. Wellington

I've sent an email lpool.

The stones are all currently being cleaned up and so the lettering is being repainted. There will hopefully be another photo coming through tomorrow whereby the lettering is clear for you. I'll post that one here.

I'd still take AboHadu up on his/her very kind offer though. Maybe in a couple of weeks time when more of the stones have had their lettering finished off

AboHadu - The graves are laid out in a circular manner, with four quadrants. His grandfather's is the first stone on the upper left quadrant, just to the left of the white steps. The row appear to be 'T'
Old May 26th 2011, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

lpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hoping for photo of GrtGf soldiers grave-Karori Cemetery. Wellington

Originally Posted by BEVS

The stones are all currently being cleaned up and so the lettering is being repainted. There will hopefully be another photo coming through tomorrow whereby the lettering is clear for you. I'll post that one here.

I'd still take AboHadu up on his/her very kind offer though. Maybe in a couple of weeks time when more of the stones have had their lettering finished off

AboHadu - The graves are laid out in a circular manner, with four quadrants. His grandfather's is the first stone on the upper left quadrant, just to the left of the white steps. The row appear to be 'T'
The photographs are amazing and I can make out his name, even under the paint, and also the fact that the last part of the story - about him being medically discharged from the British Army and promptly going off and joining the Anzacs - is true!! I tell you my father is a very happy and proud man tonight and we are so very very grateful to everyone on this site who have taken an interest and helped so much. Bevs if a photo could go on site to show all who have taken such an interest the end result, that would be fantastic. I am so grateful to you and to your friend.
Old May 26th 2011, 9:19 pm
`

I've just had a peek at Abo's flickr photos. They are excellent.

So , if you were to wait a couple more weeks for more of the stones to be finished with their makeover, I strongly feel that Abo will do you and your Grandfather proud and you would gain some wonderful photos.

Meanwhile, when I receive the final photo from the volunteer ,I will send it to you and post a couple up here.

Abo you will see what I mean about the stones.

cheers
Old May 26th 2011, 9:55 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

This is one of those threads that makes me absolutely love BE. Well done everyone involved for helping, and doing so so quickly. Love it.
Old May 27th 2011, 3:25 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I put in an early End Of The Year polls nomination for this thread as best thread of the year?

warm fuzzies all round
Old May 27th 2011, 3:37 am
Just Joined

AboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud of

Thank you BEVS for the info... Fingers-crossed the weather will be OK tomorrow.. As long as it does not rain, then I will head there and take a few photos.. As you have suggested, I might also go there in a couple of weeks once the stones are all cleaned up and the lettering is repainted..

Thank you for the compliment about my photos.. I am glad you have liked them

---

lpool

Would you mind if I Upload the photos on my flickr? (and post them here, if you want?) That way I can upload the highers resolution without clogged up your email

I am glad someone was able to help and get you the photos in such a short time. I apologize for the delay.. Daylight is not in my favour during weekdays !

Hopefully there will be more photos going your way by tomorrow!
Old May 27th 2011, 7:39 am
`

The thing that has caught me most is AboHadi. He came from nowhere but wanted to do an act of kindness. He or his parents were/are maybe expats, just like me now and my Mum before me from Eire to UK.

What is clear is that he values family & family values and history in a way I understand .

Mate. You are ace.
Old May 27th 2011, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light

awww.....& so are you too Bevs - loved this thread <3
Old May 27th 2011, 10:42 am
Just Joined

lpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by AboHadi

Thank you BEVS for the info... Fingers-crossed the weather will be OK tomorrow.. As long as it does not rain, then I will head there and take a few photos.. As you have suggested, I might also go there in a couple of weeks once the stones are all cleaned up and the lettering is repainted..

---

lpool

Would you mind if I Upload the photos on my flickr? (and post them here, if you want?) That way I can upload the highers resolution without clogged up your email

I am glad someone was able to help and get you the photos in such a short time. I apologize for the delay.. Daylight is not in my favour during weekdays !

Please do! Abohadi I am a technophobe - how do I access your flckr photos. They are getting a great response so would love to see them!
Thank you so much. I have just found his army records kept at Wellington and have requested copies. Also,thanks to Bev, found the ship he sailed on, the Mokoia, which says it took reinforcements from NZ into the 'War zones in Egypt and Europe.'
Old May 27th 2011, 10:43 am
Just Joined

The thing that has caught me most is AboHadi. He came from nowhere but wanted to do an act of kindness. He or his parents were/are maybe expats, just like me now and my Mum before me from Eire to UK.

What is clear is that he values family & family values and history in a way I understand .

Mate. You are ace.
I would agree with that!
Old May 27th 2011, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AboHadi

---

lpool

AboHadi I managed to get onto Flickr and I am excited by what you are going to produce. The photos you have done are incredible!
Old May 27th 2011, 11:30 pm
`

A few photos

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 25th 2012 at 3:20 am.
Old May 27th 2011, 11:37 pm

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Old May 28th 2011, 6:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Mate. You are ace.
I concur.
Old May 28th 2011, 9:02 am
Just Joined

AboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud of

Nice photos BEVS

And yes, I am an expat.. Although from the other side of the world..
"he values family & family values and history" I sure do..
I stumbled across this website by chance to be honest... I have also benefited from the information posted here.. This was a request I could help with so there is no reason why not to !

---

lpool

Here are a few photos.. Apologies.. I got delayed and when I arrived the sun was a bit harsh, so the lighting was not ideal.. Here are a few of the photos I managed to take.. Please let me know if these are adequate or you would like specific photos. I am happy to go back at a later time (and perhaps better time of the day if this is important for you)

The Soldiers' area looking from the side

Great War Veteran Richard Cruise by AboHadi, on Flickr

The Soldiers' area walking towards the center of the "circle" and you can see the "while stairs" that BEVS mentioned

Up the "white stairs" to the top left quadrant of the "circle" The grave can be seen on the right hand side of the first raw (T)

A closer look at the grave

---

P.S Look at the painting job BEVS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.