Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hoping for photo of GrtGf soldiers grave-Karori Cemetery. Wellington

Hoping for photo of GrtGf soldiers grave-Karori Cemetery. Wellington

Old May 23rd 2011, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

lpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant future
Default Re: Help please - Wellington ex pats

Originally Posted by Woodlea
I would love to if I lived in the North Island, I'm sure someone will be along soon to do it. What a fantastic NZ history you must have. Good luck to your father, I hope he gets better soon
I am so excited AboHadi is going to do photos for me. Thank you for your good wishes. Just rang dad and told him. He got quite emotional! This is a great site.
Old May 23rd 2011, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

lpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant future
Default Re: My grt-gf is buried in the Soldiers' section of Karori Cemetery.

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
That pamphlet is really good! Thank you for that link.
Dad's grandfather lost his wife when they were both very young. He was away fighting and his only child, his son, ended up in a home in London (he remembered the bombing and the zeppelins) before being reunited with his maternal family in Birkenhead (by Liverpool). Dad was always told his grandfather was buried in NZ and that after being discharged on health grounds from the British Army he promptly joined the Anzacs and was buried in Wellington. He didn't know if any of this was was true as he was a bit of a mystery, but I started researching and right away found him buried in New Zealand where he had lived for 15 years (your online cemetery records are fab). Also found his discharge papers from the British Army on health grounds so I am now looking to see if the last bit of the story about the Anzacs is true. Heart problems are rife in the family and he died aged 39 so assuming the ill health was that.
Old May 24th 2011, 3:41 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Hoping for photo of GrtGf soldiers grave-Karori Cemetery. Wellington

I may be able to arrange something ref. the photo.
I will continue with this, in case AboHadi is unable to do the deed.
If it's a positive outcome, then I will send what I gain on to you anyway even if you already have a pic.

So, you now have a back-up.
Old May 24th 2011, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoping for photo of GrtGf soldiers grave-Karori Cemetery. Wellington

I work not far from there. I'm not a photographer, but happy to take a snap if it makes someone happy, if your first offer doesn't come off.
Old May 24th 2011, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Hoping for photo of GrtGf soldiers grave-Karori Cemetery. Wellington

Originally Posted by BEVS
I may be able to arrange something ref. the photo.
I will continue with this, in case AboHadi is unable to do the deed.
If it's a positive outcome, then I will send what I gain on to you anyway even if you already have a pic.

So, you now have a back-up.
Thank you so much will let you know.
Old May 24th 2011, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by janiejones
I work not far from there. I'm not a photographer, but happy to take a snap if it makes someone happy, if your first offer doesn't come off.
Thank you so much. Love this site!
Old May 25th 2011, 3:03 am
`

I have a result for you !

This is via a genealogy volunteer

Could you please send me your email so I can pass on thedetails and attach the pictures that have been already taken. the volunteer is returning tomorrow to take another picture and to lay a flower on your Grandfathers grave .

With apologies to AboHadi. I hadn't realised the response would be so instantaneous.

edit here....

would you be adverse to having one of the photos posted up here please?

Last edited by BEVS; May 25th 2011 at 3:57 am.
Old May 25th 2011, 3:18 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Could you please send me your email so I can pass on thedetails and attach the pictures that have been already taken. the volunteer is returning tomorrow to take another picture and to lay a flower on your Grandfathers grave .
How lovely. Well done BEVS.
Old May 25th 2011, 4:08 am
Just Joined

AboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud ofAboHadi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lpool
AboHadi I replied to this but the reply seems to have appeared under my name instead of under your quote. Can you see it? I am so grateful.

Good day lpool

Yeah I have seen your reply. I was planning to go today since I finish earlier than usual, but the weather is a bit wet outside!

---

Good on you BEVS

I am still happy to go if you want me lpool, let me know if there is something specific you would like to be photographed after seeing the photos BEVS send you...

Old May 25th 2011, 4:14 am
`

Brilliant and thanks for understanding AboHadi. I'd say go for it anyway over the weekend.

It was only really intended as a possible backup but this person sent through something so quickly & I wasn't expecting that.
Old May 25th 2011, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lpool
I am beyond grateful! Thank you SO MUCH. His name is Richard Cruise and he is buried in the Soldiers' Section in plot 7T. I am just desperately hoping there is a plaque or something to photographs. Thank you.
lpool is this your Richard Cruise ?

http://www.archive.org/stream/journa...ge/n6/mode/2up

http://www.archive.org/details/journ...mont00unkngoog
Old May 25th 2011, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

With apologies to AboHadi. I hadn't realised the response would be so instantaneous.

edit here....

Thats fantastic! I am so excited. My email is [email protected]. No I would love the photo to go up on site and please thank the volunteer from the bottom of my heart. As a family we are so incredibly touched by the flower gesture as we know there is no one there to do that. Thank you so much.
Old May 25th 2011, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Hoping for photo of GrtGf soldiers grave-Karori Cemetery. Wellington

Originally Posted by AboHadi

Good day lpool

Yeah I have seen your reply. I was planning to go today since I finish earlier than usual, but the weather is a bit wet outside!

---

Good on you BEVS

I am still happy to go if you want me lpool, let me know if there is something specific you would like to be photographed after seeing the photos BEVS send you...

Thank you so much. I am dying to see the photos. Just had dad on the phone and he got a bit choked by the incredible response and the flower gesture. He got me going! There are so many kind people out there.
Old May 25th 2011, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

No Bellasmum - I saw that book pop up when I was originally researching and it was a bit of a coincidence because the name isn't that common. Wonder who he was? Perhaps we have such rich relatives! Hope you have seen the links about the genealogy volunteer taking photos and laying a flower on GGF's grave. Such a lovely gesture. No wonder he chose to live in NZ!
Old May 25th 2011, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

edit here....

Bevs I can't sit still I am so excited.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.