Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hoping to Move To NZ - Job Advice Please

Hoping to Move To NZ - Job Advice Please

Old Oct 25th 2009, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

leveller5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hoping to Move To NZ - Job Advice Please

Firstly, can i introduce myself. I'm Simon and am currently living in Manchester.

Myself and my partner are planning on moving to Auckland in January. I'm very excited but a bit nervous about how soon it is and how much we have to sort out.

I'm a CIMA qualified accountant, and thought i'd have no trouble sorting out a job before coming over. But the agencies i have registered with are adamant that i won't be able to sort anything until i arrive. Obviously im a bit nervous about leaving a job here to go to a new country without one sorted.

For anyone who has already made the move (accountants especially, but i'd be interested to hear from anyone really) did you manage to sort jobs before arriving, and if not, how did you find a job search upon arrival. And if anyone has any good contacts / agencies i'd be very grateful

thanks in advance for any advice

Si
Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice
Default Re: Hoping to Move To NZ - Job Advice Please

Start applying and hope a telephone interview will net you a job. Remember agents may not nesesarry be the best route as they are looking to fill positions quickly while competing with other agents so will always look for the local person.

http://www.seek.co.nz/jobsearch/inde...archfrom=quick

Approach the top 100 companies in NZ directly - list below.

http://www.kompass.co.nz/business-pr...nz_top_100.php

Other options are going over for a reccie to secure a position - taking a sabatical from you current job rather than resigning for peace of mind.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 9:44 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leveller5
Firstly, can i introduce myself. I'm Simon and am currently living in Manchester.

Myself and my partner are planning on moving to Auckland in January. I'm very excited but a bit nervous about how soon it is and how much we have to sort out.

I'm a CIMA qualified accountant, and thought i'd have no trouble sorting out a job before coming over. But the agencies i have registered with are adamant that i won't be able to sort anything until i arrive. Obviously im a bit nervous about leaving a job here to go to a new country without one sorted.

For anyone who has already made the move (accountants especially, but i'd be interested to hear from anyone really) did you manage to sort jobs before arriving, and if not, how did you find a job search upon arrival. And if anyone has any good contacts / agencies i'd be very grateful

thanks in advance for any advice

Si
Hi can't help with advice re job but welcome to the forum, and good luck with your plans!! hope you'll get something sorted soon!!!
B x
Old Oct 25th 2009, 11:52 pm
Banned

Madmaxdeux will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by leveller5

I'm a CIMA qualified accountant,
May I ask why you are targeting Auckland for your move and if you are open to searching for jobs in accountancy outside of Auckland ?
Old Oct 26th 2009, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

Rental prices in Auckland compared to say Hamilton are way higher!!!
Old Oct 26th 2009, 3:16 pm
Lord of The Pies

teeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to behold

SWMBO is an ACA accountant and we're coming across the same with agencies. We went to see a couple when we were out there and while you can get lucky, the general advice was to come back and see them once you have a visa in place as it makes employers a lot more receptive. Likewise, being in the country also helps for seeing people face to face, but some employers will consider telephone interviews. As soon as we know the outcome of our ITA, then every accountant and his dog on North Island (or the parts where the water doesn't make your hair "funny" anyway ) will be getting CV's and letters.

We're thinking that should it need it, we'd rather stump up for her ladyship to have another holiday out there to try and secure something rather than us both give up work to move out there with no jobs and munch our savings until something crops up.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

blackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to all

Hi,

My OH is over there now, he has been there for 6 weeks, job hunting. Although he isn't an accountant and not looking in that field at all, we have noticed how much more interested in you employers are once you are there. But I do think that him not having a pr visa and going for the work permit from a job offer is making it difficult........and very frustrating!

Good luck

Dawn X
Old Oct 28th 2009, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackburn lass
Hi,

My OH is over there now, he has been there for 6 weeks, job hunting. Although he isn't an accountant and not looking in that field at all, we have noticed how much more interested in you employers are once you are there. But I do think that him not having a pr visa and going for the work permit from a job offer is making it difficult........and very frustrating!

Good luck

Dawn X
Seems very much that a reccie over there can make the difference.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:19 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Bump

How's it going?
Blackburn Lass?
Teeym?
Leveller5?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:06 am
Lord of The Pies

teeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to behold

Awww - thanks for asking Bevs!

We're very much waiting until we're in possession of (or guaranteed to get) our blue stickers before going job hunting with too much vim and vigour. That said, it was noted with interest that PriceWaterhouseCooper have put up a long term job ad (open until Dec 2010!) for Senior Audit Associates in New Plymouth. It isn't SWMBO's first choice of location (too remote), but as a foot in the door it looks like a pretty pukka option as they would offer excellent NZ-wide opportunities. I'd personally be delighted as I fell completely head over heels for the place, even if it does mean being invaded by the Welsh during the World Cup!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

blackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to all

I'm still here and he's still in NZ. It's now driving me mad
He has had about 6 interviews....this is what happens.....they call him all excited and really keen to meet him, sounding dead positive, so he goes to the interview (usually quite a way away and costing a lot of money transport + hotel), he is in Marton and so far has travelled to Wellington, Auckland (twice), Tauranga and now Taupo. When he gets there they just aren't as keen as on the phone and just want to talk about the town or about England, and he his getting really p****d off with it.

Saying that, and you have got me on a bad day, he his waiting on a job in Tauranga (should here this week) and a guy in Palmerston.

Whats making it worse is Christmas, everyone keeps talking about it. By the time it comes the NZ plan is going to have to be one way or the other. Either we are there with his job in place or he his home with no job. It wouldn't bother me so much if he was away for Christmas (to be honest I'm quite enjoying being on my own) but we have a 12 year old who I don't think would cope very well.

I'm sure it's the same old no work permit problem, Kiwis seem to think it's hard to get one, and trying to explain the Esstential skills needed list is useless as they don't listen. Although a couple of people did know all about it.

So, bet you wish you'd never asked, if you have any advise on the situation please help.

I am having a bad day, I wake up each morning and spend 5 mins trying to work out how I feel about it, some days are really positive and I think he will find a job and others, like today are not so positive.
But one thing is for sure it has made me realise how much I want to be there.
OH is loving the country and knows that I will.

Love

Dawn X
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:16 pm
Lord of The Pies

Chin up Dawn, it'll come good for him sooner or later. Can't offer any real help, but will be keeping fingers crossed for you. What line of work is OH in? You never know, there may be someone knocking around on here who can give you a lead or two?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:44 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Awww (((hugs))) can't offer any practical help but just wanted to say 'hang on in there Dawn' You have been sooooo patient!!! hope it all works out for you & OH.
B x
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:42 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MnB
Hi can't help with advice re job but welcome to the forum, and good luck with your plans!! hope you'll get something sorted soon!!!
B x
Hi to you, welcome to be hope someone can help, just wanted to jump in and welcome you, good luck, always someone on here that can help in some way.

Tina. x
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

leveller5 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi everyone,

thanks so much for all the responses and welcomes... its good to hear about your stories and theres some good advice as well

MadMaxdeux, I am targeting Auckland as, with it being the largest city, i would assume the job prospects would be best. Yes I would be open to looking outside Auckland as well.

Blackburn Lass, it concerns me to hear that you think not having Residency is a disadvantage... does anyone else have any advice or experience about that? I'm definitely not wanting to get residency without spending a few months working there first - its such a huge step!

I reckon next plan for me is to speculatively start sending my CV to employers. My OH is doing this with teaching jobs and has had varying success.

Final question for now, has anyone here made the move over there without a job and then went on to find one... if so, how difficult was it?

anyways, hope you are all doing well

Si

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.