Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

hoping to move to NZ - Is it best to sell our furniture and buy when we get there?

hoping to move to NZ - Is it best to sell our furniture and buy when we get there?

Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hoping to move to NZ - Is it best to sell our furniture and buy when we get there

Hi NZdreamz

I came over 6 weeks ago (I'm a midwife too)
I'm on my own so different circumstances but I didnt bring any furniture. I was lucky to find a rental that came with all whiteware included so only needed to buy furniture and I've managed to furnish it with the funds I got from the relocation package that I received from my hospital. I've bought what I think is ok furniture although my sofas are from BigSave so might not be to everyones standards! (they were the only decent looking black leather sofas I could find though)

Where about are you planning on heading in NZ (just touting for business as my lovely unit is recruiting!)
Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: hoping to move to NZ - Is it best to sell our furniture and buy when we get there

You are so very welcome, andi i'm originally from Manchester, so i'll correct myslfGood luck with it all Tray
Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:23 am
Just Joined

NZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: hoping to move to NZ - Is it best to sell our furniture and buy when we get there

Originally Posted by lisamct
Hi NZdreamz

I came over 6 weeks ago (I'm a midwife too)
I'm on my own so different circumstances but I didnt bring any furniture. I was lucky to find a rental that came with all whiteware included so only needed to buy furniture and I've managed to furnish it with the funds I got from the relocation package that I received from my hospital. I've bought what I think is ok furniture although my sofas are from BigSave so might not be to everyones standards! (they were the only decent looking black leather sofas I could find though)

Where about are you planning on heading in NZ (just touting for business as my lovely unit is recruiting!)
Oh my!! You can get a relocation package????!!! How exciting, I had no idea!! Do you mind me asking how much? You may regret replying to this thread as you must now prepare to be bombarded with questions!!! Apologies in advance! We haven't made a definite decision yet we thought we would be best guided by where the job offers come from.....also need to think about schools for my youngest, type of area my oldest would find appealing and type of work on offer for my husband (who isn't in a skilled profession). I think we all agree tho we want it to be somewhere warm! No snow unless we go looking for it! Where is your unit? Is it a big one? How mamy deliveries do they have per year? I currently work as in a hospital that has just over 2000 deliveries per year (we're only staffed for around 1300-1500, so its usually really busy). Not that I'm work shy, but I love being a midwife and hate not being able to 'give my all' to every lady&baby I care for I am aware that most hospital units in NZ offer seconary care which I do a lot of now, however, my big passion is 'normal' I'm one a just a few in my workplace who loves to promote normality, waterbirths, different positions for delivery, physiological 3rd stage etc I am 'long course', so no nursing background, a bit of a hippychick, and quite frankly me and machines don't really get on!!! I know I should probably do community (or primary) but I want the security of being 'employed' initially at least, and I know community midwives are self emploed in NZ...Maybe one day...How many years experience do you have now? I have 5 but want to go maybe next year when I have 6 so I'm interested to know what the saleries are, I can only find out it's between $50,000 and $70,000 which is a massive range isnt it? What is the support like of your collegues whilst you are getting used to their ways, different drugs and protocols etc? Also one of my friends who qualified when I did but didn't practice for personal reasons, is now doing her return to practice, she is also keen to emigrate but are we right in thinking she will need at least 2 years experience under her belt before she could apply or would some trusts accept applications for 'newly qualifieds'? Aren't you brave to do the move on your own? Is it so far so good? x
Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, just heading to bed and wanted to give you a decent reply to your questions so I'll send you a PM with loads of info tomorrow
Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:48 am
Just Joined

NZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really niceNZdreamz is just really nice

Thank you, sleep well x
Old Sep 29th 2010, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NZdreamz
I hope you don't mind me asking, have u moved back to the UK now and are planning on going back to NZ? If so why did u move back and what's made you decide to give it another go?
hi no i don't mind, we had our house in uk which we are still living, our son and daughter were renting from us we had allowed £6000 if it took a long time to sell, well we could not sell, and house owed us over £100,000 so to much to lose, and because my wife could not get a job she got home sick mainly as we were renting,
lots of nz business are family run are franchise and she used to run a 50 seat restaurant, and could not get a job in cafes unless she worked the ghost hours inc weekends,

now we have had enough, here and are trying to go back have visas running from Sept 10 until Sept 11, with a job lined up and cant get there
house has been on since may and dropped price by £25000
perhaps were not meant to be there have not given up yet going over for a holiday at xmas so time for house to sell funney enough my wife wants to go back more than me, but time is running out am 53 in april so would need to be there by then to get PR
Old Sep 29th 2010, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

bring everything what you don't need on arrival you can sell on trade me, we had a hifi unit in solid pine a few dents/scratches we had had for over 10 years the bidding on it was fierce and the wiiner was really chuffed with the quality etc. our container arrives again!!! on Monday I already know that 4 items that will appear on trademe in the next month as my new home has no room etc with the proceeds I shall hopefully buy a sofa bed
Old Sep 29th 2010, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: hoping to move to NZ

Originally Posted by BevK
Can I please just ask who you used to ship your goods?
Pickfords. their original quote was higher, but they droipped their price to beat other quotes...so its worth haggling!

all our electrical stuff has been fine and survived the journey well. (including 3 computers) Pickfords made a wooden crate to fit our big TV in. the only problem for us is that our dryer isnt really compatible with the electrics over here. too powerful. so when we've used it we ran it at low heat, which takes a long time to dry stuff. luckily we havent needed it that much over winter.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZdreamz
Hiya we are a family of 4 (2 children 16 & 11 my husband and myself) seriously considering a move to NZ. We will be going on a skilled migrant Visa as I am a midwife, we have already had an initial assessment, got enough points to apply just a bit overwhelmed with the enormity of it all so any tips or reassurance from others who have done it or are doing it would be greatly welcomed!!!! For example; Is it worth going with a migration agency or is it doable without the added expense of this? Is it best to sell our furniture and buy when we get there or ship it over??
The application is fairly easy and IMHO there is no need to add to the expense of moving by paying an agent. It is doable and you've done your homework and can get here as skilled migrant!!

Furniture? Do you like it?
Does it feel comfy?
There is nothing like the feeling, after you have gone through various trials and tribulations of emigration, than opening boxes filled with well loved pieces of your life.
If you have no attachment and are quite happy to 'get rid' be warned- quality costs here!
Google mid range shops ie Farmers/ Beds R Us to get an idea of price.
Vat is now 15% as of tomorrow.
Everyone's different.
All I can say is having familiar things around me has helped enormously in the settling in process.
What ever you decide good luck, be happy!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Tray
Hi there fellow Lancastarian! I would third all the above advice, and if you'd like a detailed 12/6/2 month down to the last 2week account/guide of what to do & when, let me know & i'll pm it to you kept it for the memory Tray
Actually. If you do have that , then it is something a wee bit special to be honest.

Would you consider sharing this on the open forum here or perhaps doing this via a BE article please?

I could do mine from way back when but it would be full of waah's and eergh's and aarrggh's...apart from I do remember rolling in the dust of a gutter trying to get a damp proof report.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

The Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to all

BRING EVERYTHING. I wish we had. Good luck!
We used PSS and I highly recomend them they were the best. Nothing broken and very quick, a 20ft container took 6 weeks and cost £3000.
Yes we love it here, 1 year on.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BEVS
Actually. If you do have that , then it is something a wee bit special to be honest.

Would you consider sharing this on the open forum here or perhaps doing this via a BE article please?

I could do mine from way back when but it would be full of waah's and eergh's and aarrggh's...apart from I do remember rolling in the dust of a gutter trying to get a damp proof report.
Hi Bev,
Sure can, i'll cut n'paste it at the weekend and post it via a BE article. Tray
Old Oct 1st 2010, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Ooh I don't think so, white goods are jolly expensive in NZ, bring your pommy ones!
So agree. You've nothing to lose by bringing the lot.

Also advice re: doing it without an agent is pretty good advice. Things aren't too complicated.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocolate cake

Also advice re: doing it without an agent is pretty good advice. Things aren't too complicated.
Yes - bring everything
Old Oct 1st 2010, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocolate cake

Absolutely agree with everyone!
Bring everything! and ditto the above!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.