Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hoping to move to NZ in 2010...

Hoping to move to NZ in 2010...

Old Nov 4th 2008, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Si19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud of
Default Hoping to move to NZ in 2010...

Hi everyone,

Mandy and I are new to this site and would like to say hello...

We're planning on moving to NZ (possibly Hawkes Bay) sometime in 2010.
Mandy is originally from The Bay and has been in the UK for approaching 10yrs and I'm from Wakefield in not so sunny Yorkshire.

We're beginning to plan everything for our move and I'm wondering how easily getting work is in HB. I'm a Civil/Structural Draughtsman and Mandy's a HR Manager.

Can anyone recommend any decent employment Agency's in NZ or offer any advice?

When we move we'll also be bringing our dog and cat with us. Have any of you found it hard to find rental properties which accept animals?

I'm sure we'll have plenty more questions in future...

Simon
Old Nov 4th 2008, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire- soon to be New Plymouth (December 2008)
jill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hoping to move to NZ in 2010...

Hi and welcome to the best site, with the most helpful and friendliest bunch of people I have come across.

We are in the process of trying to find rentals that will allow our 12yr old cat, most properties state NO PETS, but the letting agents have said to ask the question as most will consider allowing a cat. Not so sure on the dog though, I think that will depend on whether he/she could live outside, rather than in the house and perhaps the size of dog.

The problem we are having at the moment, is missing the boat so to speak. Seeing a property you like, contacting the agent for more photos and then to be told after the photos have been sent that it has gone.

We are aiming for December to get to New Plymouth, and i feel that time is running out for us to find a property......

All the best

Jill
Old Nov 4th 2008, 1:40 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Si19761
Hi everyone,

Mandy is originally from The Bay and has been in the UK for approaching 10yrs and I'm from Wakefield in not so sunny Yorkshire.

We're beginning to plan everything for our move and I'm wondering how easily getting work is in HB. I'm a Civil/Structural Draughtsman and Mandy's a HR Manager.

When we move we'll also be bringing our dog and cat with us. Have any of you found it hard to find rental properties which accept animals?

Simon
Morning!
Do a search on this site

www.seek.co.nz

Even if you cannot find a specific job on the site, it will give you the name/details of agencies that operate here.

Good Luck
Old Nov 4th 2008, 1:42 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Morning!
Do a search on this site

www.seek.co.nz

Even if you cannot find a specific job on the site, it will give you the name/details of agencies that operate here.

Good Luck

Oops sorry
Where are my manners? (Probably in bed where I should be!!)
WELCOME
Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Si19761
Hi everyone,

Simon
welcome...
its too soon to start applying for jobs if youre only looking to move in 2010, but you could start the ball rolling getting the info together for your visas. Is your partner a kiwi citizen? If so you should qualify as a spouse/ defacto partner but you will need to prove your relationship (wills/ joint bank accounts/ phots of you on holiday together that sort of thing). That makes gettting to NZ easy

As for jobs I think you should be able to find jobs relativeyl easily, although there may be a bit of a slowdown int he buildings secotr due to the credit crunch. I found the draughtsmen are always in demand tho, esp the good ones.

The best sites to look at if you want an idea of jobs being offered are seek.co.nz and trademe.co.nz

Bear in mind that it may not be a bad idea to approach engineering consultancies directly, employers like saving money by not having to pay recruitment consultants if they can avoid it.

you can go along to an expo next year and take some CVs along perhaps.

Personally I think it wouild be gopod to have your visa etc in place before applying, it makes your case stronger. And i would not apply for anything more than 3 or 4 months before you are planning to be in NZ, so it may be a good idea to look around but hold off on approaching any companies till closer to the time
Old Nov 5th 2008, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Si19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the advice guys...

Si.