Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hoping to move to Auckland late 2009

Hoping to move to Auckland late 2009

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

drcallycat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hoping to move to Auckland late 2009

Hi there. My husband and I are hoping to move to NZ in November 2009. I have a provisional job offer at a secure unit and have got my police check done. My husband is looking for work at the moment. I think we're going to seel up here in Leeds and rent in Auckland for a while until we decide if we like it. We have 3 cats though so are a bit worried about getting them all there and finding a rental place that will let us have them.

We'd be grateful for any tips on getting the pets there, and on renting in Auckland. Any good areas, areas to avoid? We have no kids so not worried about schools etc.

Cheers, Clare and Jim.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

lindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nice
Default Re: Hoping to move to Auckland late 2009

Hiya

Welcome! My hubby and I and 15 year old daughter are planning to move to Auckland anytime between September and December this year. We have friends in Devonport who managed to find a rental fairly easily with one dog. they said that the rental agents know all the people who will take cats/dogs, even though it may say no pets on the information.

Our eldest daughter Kim and her boyfriend are going out in March/April also to Auckland, and they will be looking at rentals for us when we come over with 2 dogs! Any info they send us, I can pass on to you.

As far as areas are concerned, you need to decide wether to be north or south of the bridge as there is a lot of traffic over it during rush hour, so I guess it depends on where you are going to work. Devonport and arond that area is beautiful on the north shore. We are looking at Orakai, mission bay, posonby, parnell to start with, but will wait for feedback from Kim. We have been looking on www.trademe.co.nz for rentals.

Our friends used Animal Courriers to ship their dog out and said they were great.

What work are you doing? My hubby is a builder and I am a yoga teacher. We have also looked on Trademe for jobs. We havnt got jobs yet. We thought we would go to the New Zealand expo at the NEC at the end of March to look for jobs and stuff.

Anyway I hope this helps.

Best wishes, Lindsay
Old Feb 4th 2009, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

drcallycat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lindsayloo - any info you get would be fantastic, thanks. We are looking at North Shore or Central district. I've heard that Parnell and Ponsonby are really nice but a bit pricey. I have a job near Pt Chevalier in a place called the Mason Clinic. I'm a clinical psychologist and my husband works for the pensions agency here so is looking for jobs at the moment. I think that where we live will depend on where he works as he doesn't drive. I'd be ok with a bit of a commute.

Are you guys selling up or renting your house? Think we're gonna sell as son't want the hassle of paying the mortgage and getting someone to run the renting for us.

Keep in touch - would be good to meet up once out there!

Clare
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

lindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nice

Hi
we are hoping to sell the house as we also dont want the hassle of finding rent to cover the mortgage. However our mortgage has gone down so much that we could make a good profit by renting it out and they are predicting interest rates to go down to 1 percent! Its still a hassle tho from so far away.

Anyway keep in touch and we will pass on any other info we can. Lets look forward to a coffee in Auckland (or a glass of wine!)

Best wishes, Lindsay