Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hopefully Useful Food Prices

Hopefully Useful Food Prices

Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:46 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hopefully Useful Food Prices

Hi All

It's the middle of week 2 for us here in Christchurch and for those of you yet to make it to NZ I thought you might find it useful to know the prices of some food items. Please bear in mind I haven't quite got my head round which are good/value for money own/home brands and at the moment I'm shopping for stuff I can cook up in our motel room which only has a microwave (but no microwaveable dishes!?!) 2 hotplates and an electric frying pan!

I know other people have managed to get stuff through in their containers but our packers (sorry, household relocation technicians!) told us no food items, no cleaning products, no solvents, no alcohol - so we are starting again from scratch with basic stock items as well a little each time we shop).

So far we've only been to Pac n Save and Countdown although there are plenty of other places to food shop that we haven't checked out yet including the local farm produce shops.

Cadbury's Picnic bar $0.99
Table Salt 700g $1.80
1kg Golden Syrup $2.69
Large pot of Greggs Mixed Herbs $3.57
Tin of Tuna in Springwater $1.87
Pasta spirals $1.69
Johnsons Baby Talc $3.69
Hot Chilli Table Sauce $3.68
Maggi Beef Stock sticks $2.72
125g Marmite $1.95
Jar Pataks Mango Chicken sauce $4.99
Jar Pataks Balti sauce $4.99
Snickers bar $0.89
3 boxes of 6 chewy bars (similar to Tracker bars) $5.00 (special offer)
Large bag of Rolled Oats $3.39
2 tins of Watties (Heinz) Spicy Winter Vegetable soup $5.00 (special offer)
4 tins of Watties Pasta sauce (different varieties) $5.00 (special offer)
Honey caramel popcorn $2.99
750g salted roasted peanuts $3.99
A Frame clothes airer $14.95
Corkscrew and bottle opener $1.59
Vege peeler $1.29
Set of wooden spoons $1.59
Plastic lunch/sandwich box $4.91
Measuring jug $2.50
1 pair thermal socks $3.95
6 slices Wiltshire ham (from Deli counter) $7.99
Chicken tenders/stir fry $9.26 (special offer)
Premium beef mince $7.51 (special offer)
Cherries $16.98 per kg - 0.235g = $3.99
Courgettes $7.99 per kg - 2 courgettes - $2.12
Loose white mushrooms $8.99 per kg - 0.270g - $2.43
Pack of 4 corn on the cob $5.98
6pk yoghurts $2.99 (special offer)
2 litres Trim (low fat/skimmed) fresh milk $2.95
2 medium French/Italian bread sticks $2.34
6pk Viennese whirl type cakes $3.68
1 litre Just Juice Orange juice $1.59
1kg Pams Basmati rice $2.35
1kg Watties frozen mixed veg $1.99
6 Lamb Loin Chops $6.41 (special offer)
Pork Loin Chops $9.37
1kg Anchor Tasty Cheese $7.75
Maggi Instant Cheese Sauce mix $0.89
4 very large Braeburn apples ($1.79 per kg) $2.14
1 fresh Cauliflour $1.59
New loose Potatoes $1.59 per kg
Plain Vienna Bread (similar to Bloomer) $1.69
Green Grapes $4.99 per kg
500g Mainland Butter $1.95
Masterfood Mint Jelly $3.30
Old Jun 5th 2007, 9:02 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hopefully Useful Food Prices

... And we've also bought 3 oil filled radiators (one for each bedroom) - 11 fin with 24 hour timers so that we can set them to come on before we get up in the morning and before we get in from work/school. They cost $79.95 each (special offer, original price $99.99) although there are many portable heaters around in shops and supermarkets and all seem to be on special offer at the moment.

We got three electric blankets - singles at $29.99 each and a queen/double for $59.99. Do you think we've a fear of being cold??!!!

We needed various new bedroom stuff. Single mattress for our 11 yr old $199(his bedframe is in the container), pine bed with firm mattress and trundler under with foam mattress (second bed for sleepovers) for our daughter was $299 and a new double mattress for us $299 (our pine bedframe is in the container). We shopped around for ages and these were the best deals we could find. The bedframes and mattress seem really expensive to us at around $2,000+ for a nice double/queen.

Got the kids a set of 6 drawers each, white melamine $269 each. Matching bedside table with 3 drawers $99.

Large dining table and 6 sets $899 - that was on special offer too.

A set of solid pine, 6 drawers/dressing table with large pine framed mirror attached $589 and matching 6 drawer chest $489.

We didn't need wardrobes - the house we've bought has large built in ones in each bedroom - but I don't remember seeing any in all the furniture shops we've been in, new or second hand. I mentioned this as I've seen on another thread that they're hard to come by so I guess if you have them, bring them in your container. If you end up with a house with built in ones you can also put them on Trade Me - should go like a rocket as they must be like gold dust here!

Hope all this helps. Good luck and safe journey to those yet to come out. xx
Old Jun 6th 2007, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=TeamEmbo;4877092]Hi All

1 pair thermal socks $3.95

Just wondering....how are you gonna cook the socks??? with the pasta sauce

You are deffinately paying to much for the veggies, so stop off at the local veggie shop when you are out.

Old Jun 6th 2007, 3:55 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

I buy pretty much everything at Countdown and scour the freebies you get thru your door ( you'll soon be sick of them though ) to see what's on special elsewhere.

Briscoes have a permanent sale on

Farmers seem to do anything between 20% and 50% off on a regular basis, and I buy bedding from there only in the sale. Got a great deal on winter duvets, buy more than 2 and get 50% off!!!

Rebel sports do some good deals on sneakers ( Kiwi for trainers!!)

Most bed stores around here tend to throw the bedding in for you, not sure if that's the same elsewhere
Old Jun 6th 2007, 4:05 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys - seems like things are still 100 miles an hour, and great news that all is going well. Bless you for typing out the shopping list - that'll give the folks in the UK a good idea on things.

PM'd ya!
Old Jun 6th 2007, 5:01 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Team Embo:

Do you think your shopping will change much once you are into a proper kitchen?
Old Jun 6th 2007, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

dicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nice

....ah yes, but we defy you find Aunt Betty's oven bake roast potatoes...boy do we miss them :-(
Old Jun 6th 2007, 10:42 am
TeamEmbo

Originally Posted by happynz
Team Embo:

Do you think your shopping will change much once you are into a proper kitchen?
Yep, cos I'll have my vege patch and greenhouse and a chest freezer to get half a cow or lamb in and I can get back to doing the homebaking and batch baking.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

mark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant future

Thanks TeamEmbo for that. Also great to read your first week update - I can't believe you have found time to post with all that you are cramming in. You sound very organised. Please keep us updated with anything else you think might be useful to those departing in the next few months

Kim