Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hopefully emigrating to NZ soon!!!!!!!

Hopefully emigrating to NZ soon!!!!!!!

Old Jan 8th 2007, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

exuma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hopefully emigrating to NZ soon!!!!!!!

Hi all!

We are married with two kids (8yrs & 3yrs) and have recently sold our house and business in Buckinghamshire :scared: and are looking to emigrate to NZ , hopefully the Christchurch area. Has anyone got any comments on Christchurch or moving to NZ itself on a LTBV.
We would like to buy a business and live about half hours drive from Christchurch, any suggestions on suburbs.
MY WIFE AND I HAVE BEEN ARGUING FOR THE LAST HOUR ABOUT THE 14,000 EARTHQUAKES EACH YEAR IN NZ!!!!!!!!!!! CAN YOU PUT HER MIND AT REST, THAT WE WONT BE SHAKEN ALL THE WAY OVER TO AUSTRALIA .

Last edited by exuma; Jan 8th 2007 at 8:39 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 8:57 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Hopefully emigrating to NZ soon!!!!!!!

Earthquakes...LTBV? Maybe you could set up a business selling earthquake insurance? It's a thought.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 9:03 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by exuma
Hi all!

We are married with two kids (8yrs & 3yrs) and have recently sold our house and business in Buckinghamshire :scared: and are looking to emigrate to NZ , hopefully the Christchurch area. Has anyone got any comments on Christchurch or moving to NZ itself on a LTBV.
We would like to buy a business and live about half hours drive from Christchurch, any suggestions on suburbs.
MY WIFE AND I HAVE BEEN ARGUING FOR THE LAST HOUR ABOUT THE 14,000 EARTHQUAKES EACH YEAR IN NZ!!!!!!!!!!! CAN YOU PUT HER MIND AT REST, THAT WE WONT BE SHAKEN ALL THE WAY OVER TO AUSTRALIA .
Christchurch is fab, close to all the best bits of scenery in NZ and yet big enough to have everything we need.
If you are buying a business then you won't necessarily be in the cbd? Most of ChCh is within 30 min of cbd, and there are plenty of smaller towns around too.
I have only felt one earthquake in the last year, they happen, most you feel, but the number that cause any damage are fairly few.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

exuma is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Apple12
Christchurch is fab, close to all the best bits of scenery in NZ and yet big enough to have everything we need.
If you are buying a business then you won't necessarily be in the cbd? Most of ChCh is within 30 min of cbd, and there are plenty of smaller towns around too.
I have only felt one earthquake in the last year, they happen, most you feel, but the number that cause any damage are fairly few.
Thanks for the quick reply! For the last 1/2 hr we've been reading about the weather in ChCh......... Can you paint the real picture!!!
Do you enjoy the ChCh lifestyle?? Whats the crime rate like in ChCh????
Old Jan 8th 2007, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by exuma
Thanks for the quick reply! For the last 1/2 hr we've been reading about the weather in ChCh......... Can you paint the real picture!!!
Do you enjoy the ChCh lifestyle?? Whats the crime rate like in ChCh????
Christchurch has interesting weather because of its geography. The weather is cyclical - cold easterly off the sea -> hot and blustery nor'wester from the plains (fohn wind) -> cold storms from the south (antarctic). These cycles can take a week to go around, or they can happen in one day. In winter it usually snows once or twice in the city, more often on the hills around. Five skifields within 2 hours drive. Very unusual weather this year, we are usually in summer drought by now. Very definite seasons, huge range of plants that can be grown.
I love CCh lifestyle. Last night after work we went for a walk up in the Port Hills overlooking ChCH, five min drive from home. Watched loads of birds, lovely warm evening, not dark until 10pm. If you like being outside of your own four walls and exploring, then ChCh is an excellent place to live.
Crimerate, same shit different bucket. There is crime in every city of the world, NZ is no utopia. That said, we often walk home from town or the movies at 11pm on a Sat night, and have had no bother.