Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hooray look at my veggies

Hooray look at my veggies

Old Oct 31st 2008, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Hooray look at my veggies

Back at the beginning of this year there was a thread on growing your own veggies and we were very keen to give this a go. I am thrilled to say that they are growing very well. We have the following:-

Cabbage
Cauli
Brocolli
Spuds
Onion
Garlic
Runner beans
Toms
Rhubarb
Strawberries

I am going to get some capsicums in soon.

Here are some pictures so far of what we are producing. Just wondered if anyone else has any that have started going mad like ours. OH constructed a contraption around it and wrapped around the white frost cover so it looks like a little greenhouse but it is keeping the birds from pecking at the strawberries which are just coming through.

Would love to see pics of other posters veggies!

Opps sorry - also lettuce and that is lovely, have been picking the leaves now and again for going in salads and sandwiches!!
Attached Thumbnails Hooray look at my veggies-misc2008_1029-001-.jpg   Hooray look at my veggies-misc2008_1029-003-.jpg   Hooray look at my veggies-misc2008_1029-005-.jpg   Hooray look at my veggies-misc2008_1029-007-.jpg   Hooray look at my veggies-misc2008_1029-009-.jpg  

Last edited by shirl; Oct 31st 2008 at 4:27 am. Reason: Ooops forgot some info!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

ashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to all
Default Re: Hooray look at my veggies

GORGEOUS!!!!

I am so jealous!

We are just moving into a place this week and I will be working on the garden immediately.
Give me a month or so and I will post my photos as well.

Great job--great motivator!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Fantastic shirl. It's a very rewarding pastime don't you agree??

Last spring was the first time in my life that I have ever tried growing food, mainly because I never had the space before or I was too young and didn't care for growing food.

Now I am grown up and have the space I can do it....not to your extent though... but I have a greenhouse, cheapo from the warehouse not a fancy bespoke glass one, but it does the trick.

I am a chili fan and cannot stand the price of them[chili's] in the shops, we eat a lot of them in this home and it gets too expensive!

I was left with no alternative but to grow my own.. I was also concerned that I would not be able to make the time to do it, but the fear was unfounded and I now grow fab chillis and capsicums of all varieties , also had a few egg plants last year but have not gone in for egg plant this year, don't know why....must be because when I harvested them I became a bit unstuck with what to do with them - moussaka I guess but I don't want to eat that in high summer!

I grow a lot of that lettuce too, just pick a bit every time I need it, better than the iceberg variety I think..... and we have a few tomato plants on the go as well, but no pics as there are no fruit to show yet, still a bit early...

I imagine you must be feeling really pleased with yourself, keep it up
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your comments. Look forward to seeing your pics in due course. Yes it is a good past-time and they do taste better home grown don't they.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

wow looks great very yummy, I can't wait to start my veggie patch (when we get there), but I will be needing help and advice from you guys, as it's my first time.

well done
Old Oct 31st 2008, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

MooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond repute

Fanatastic .......Thats one of the first things i want to do when i arrive and get settled is establish a lovely veggie garden.........your piccys have inspired me even more thank you
Old Oct 31st 2008, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I have also tried my best over the past few months to grow some veggies. Broccoli and Cauliflower were Ok all though alot smaller than the shops. Celery was a pigging night mare and was a little bitter. Got sprouts about to go mad and not sure whats happening to my cabbage as it has a huge flower growing through the middle (Help) But the most promising so far are strawberries, berries, corn, beetroot, and tomato plant.
Oh my God. Whats happening to me. Next I`ll be commenting on how nice the grass looks whilst wearing slippers and a pair of flannelette pyjamas! Even worst its a Friday night, 10:00 pm and I haven`t had a drink. Where`s that gun !!!!!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:02 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

And there was me thinking that it was an episode of "That's Life" with a dog that sings "sausages" and some oddly shaped veges......

They do look nice though.......enjoy the fruit of your labours......
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:19 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

This is about the only year since we have been here that we haven't really grown much. The reason being that we are trying to revamp [no Halloween pun intended] the vege garden.

I agree with you, stuff does grow like a mad thing here & without half the amount of pests you get in the UK.

I have the toms, some raspberries, strawberries and potatoes going but they are all really in bags and pots whilst we try and get this veg garden sorted.

In the rental we had quite a crop of stuff.

It is so satisfying to do and really so very tasty.

Well done Shirl. Worth it, I'd say looking at your pics.

A couple of the pics from when we were in the rental

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 25th 2012 at 3:20 am.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ash1
Hi,

I have also tried my best over the past few months to grow some veggies. Broccoli and Cauliflower were Ok all though alot smaller than the shops. Celery was a pigging night mare and was a little bitter. Got sprouts about to go mad and not sure whats happening to my cabbage as it has a huge flower growing through the middle (Help) But the most promising so far are strawberries, berries, corn, beetroot, and tomato plant.
Oh my God. Whats happening to me. Next I`ll be commenting on how nice the grass looks whilst wearing slippers and a pair of flannelette pyjamas! Even worst its a Friday night, 10:00 pm and I haven`t had a drink. Where`s that gun !!!!!
Well done Ash but don't reach for the gun just yet will you LOL !! You have to taste the fruits of your labours. I know what you mean, it is really the OH's job to attend this, I just do the watering and feeding and weeding LOL!!!! Don't know why you have a flower coming through the middle of the cabbage though. Next I am getting some capsicums - just love them in a salad or a stir fry. Yum !!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS here
This is about the only year since we have been here that we haven't really grown much. The reason being that we are trying to revamp [no Halloween pun intended] the vege garden.

I agree with you, stuff does grow like a mad thing here & without half the amount of pests you get in the UK.

I have the toms, some raspberries, strawberries and potatoes going but they are all really in bags and pots whilst we try and get this veg garden sorted.

In the rental we had quite a crop of stuff.

It is so satisfying to do and really so very tasty.

Well done Shirl. Worth it, I'd say looking at your pics.

A couple of the pics from when we were in the rental

Great Tomatoes there Bev- that was one of the things that inspired us to grow our own. When we were looking for a house to buy lots of gardens had huge tomatoes growing in them and so that gave us the spur on to want to do our own veggies. Hope you get yours done again soon.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lardyl
And there was me thinking that it was an episode of "That's Life" with a dog that sings "sausages" and some oddly shaped veges......

They do look nice though.......enjoy the fruit of your labours......

I was thinking more of "the Good Life" - LOL I rember That's Life with the dog - just about!!
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 12:04 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been known to destroy anything I've tried to grow previously - but it's working here!!

We have all the usual herbs, plus;

Tomatoes
Potatoes
Lettuce
Endive
Cauliflower
Broccolli
Silverbeet
Celery
Pumpkin
Onions
Parsnips
Corn
Lemons
Oranges
Avocado
And a Vine!!!
(Oh and a sad looking passionfruit!)

Haven't bought salad leaves for 6 weeks now!!
Attached Thumbnails Hooray look at my veggies-cauliflower.jpg   Hooray look at my veggies-celery-pumpkin.jpg   Hooray look at my veggies-vege-bed.jpg   Hooray look at my veggies-orange-avocado.jpg   Hooray look at my veggies-grapes-vine.jpg  

Last edited by Am Loolah; Nov 3rd 2008 at 12:06 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 1:13 am
Banned

Gandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Fantastic pictures everyone

OH always has a problem with Coriander going to seed, anyone got any ideas?

We would love a veg patch but we are in a rental at the moment.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

My dad was a gardener but would never allow any of us in his veggie patch, so I'm not green fingered but seeing all those pics I think I might have to give it a try - I do like my veggies and fruit.

Keep up the good work, you are all blooming marvelously

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.