Hooked on fishin'

Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:00 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hooked on fishin'

Anyone else been "hooked" on the fishing thing?

Its taken me a couple of years of fighting off the lure of the erm, lure, but today I bought my very own rod and reel, first I've had of my own since I was a kid - over the past 6 months I had bought lots of tackle for Lardy MkII since he decided he wanted to go fishing, but this is my own, personal, tackle to be used alongside him on the wharf/rocks or river (maybe, once I get my licence). Whilst we were away on hols we managed to catch more on the line than with the sprat-catcher so we must be getting good and that was what did it for me.......

Next step will be that boat no doubt but that's a long way off as the rest of the tribe do not have sea legs at all.........

Anyway bought a dead cheap Shimano rod and reel in the Rebel Sport Sale, the reel was already in a "cheapie" bin with an 20% extra off, plus picked up some lures and mono from the big red shed in their sale - so my tackle is worth less than half that of the kid.......but I bet I catch more.........LOL
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:11 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hooked on fishin'

Something I sooo want to try. Hubby bought us all rods etc at last years boat show - we've used them once. Really need to get on to it. It's not like we don't have enough friends offering to take us out (and 2 even have the lusted after boats!) but we just haven't got round to it.

Post some photos LardyL to inspire the rest of us ...
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:25 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
......Post some photos LardyL to inspire the rest of us ...
wellllll.......when we landed the fish in Whitianga we needed a boat like this one.....that's my dad's runabout.......
Attached Thumbnails Hooked on fishin'-crop_img_0214.jpg  
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:27 pm
you dewty owld maan!

We were fishing there before they parked it......
Attached Thumbnails Hooked on fishin'-crop_img_0212.jpg  
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:30 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Unfortunately the fish was so big that I had to drop the camera........

Earlier in the week we caught one plastic bag, one rusty hook, some mono and a couple of lead sinkers, plus the bottom of the eastuary a couple of times.......oh yeah and we got a sprat so small that it could wiggle out of the bait catcher.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:32 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Stayed in a nice place though.......view from the deck.
Attached Thumbnails Hooked on fishin'-img_0203_resize.jpg  
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl
Unfortunately the fish was so big that I had to drop the camera........

Earlier in the week we caught one plastic bag, one rusty hook, some mono and a couple of lead sinkers, plus the bottom of the eastuary a couple of times.......oh yeah and we got a sprat so small that it could wiggle out of the bait catcher.
You're not exactly selling it ...

Although your Dad's boat, hmmmm, now you're talking!! Clearly babbling in dillusional tongues ...

Were you in Whitianga? That was my Hubby's fave place when we came to NZ on our hols/reccie. Don't think there would have been enough for me or the 2 eldest there in retrospect - but very nice all the same!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:35 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Sorry about the colours, the HV30 camcorder gets them wrong......IMO
Nice video camera though........
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:37 pm
you dewty owld maan!

You're not exactly selling it ...

Although your Dad's boat, hmmmm, now you're talking!! Clearly babbling in dillusional tongues ...

Were you in Whitianga? That was my Hubby's fave place when we came to NZ on our hols/reccie. Don't think there would have been enough for me or the 2 eldest there in retrospect - but very nice all the same!
didnt say which boat was dad's - no the closest he got to a boat was the outboard that he kept in our cellar for years......

Yep its Whitianga, we stayed in Hahei on the beach, nice apartment but only one bathroom and enough space for 6 of us.........plus it was hard getting the kids out of the spa.......
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:39 pm
you dewty owld maan!

The boat was Aussie out of Southport.
My old man almost drowned there once..........does that count?
And no not the one in Lancashire - although I bet he may have come close to falling off the pier there a few times. Come to think of it I've been drunk in Southport on the odd occasion, comes from having family in Formby.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:42 pm

When we were in Whitianga we had a stroll along Buffalo Beach and the ocean was a little choppy. Our 3 eldest kids aged 13, 11 and 6 were running in and out of the waves and the oldest swimming. They'd just got out, when seemingly out of nowhere this huge wave crashed to shore and slammed 2 surfers and 2 teenage girls right against the sea wall. Ours, had they still been in the water, would have been in dire straights. Very sobering ...
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:48 pm
you dewty owld maan!

When we were in Whitianga we had a stroll along Buffalo Beach and the ocean was a little choppy. Our 3 eldest kids aged 13, 11 and 6 were running in and out of the waves and the oldest swimming. They'd just got out, when seemingly out of nowhere this huge wave crashed to shore and slammed 2 surfers and 2 teenage girls right against the sea wall. Ours, had they still been in the water, would have been in dire straights. Very sobering ...

big bloody ocean out there.........
glad in a way that we have the islands like Great Barrier in the way.........although the surf was fun where we were earlier that week - whangamata.....even got MkII's boogie board out........heard there were some big waves there earlier this week......
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:51 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Took the stroll down to Cathederal Cove and one family (scots by the sound) had both little kids, 8 or 10 out in the surf there and I was a bit concerned as those rocks could rip you to bits if you were carried along with the rip............
And seeing the sea crashing over the rocks at Hot Water beach makes you realise how that spot is one of the most deadly in NZ
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:54 pm

Teach one's kids to respect the ocean - it's a whole lot bigger and more powerful than we are?!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:57 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Teach one's kids to respect the ocean - it's a whole lot bigger and more powerful than we are?!
I bet yours got the picture after that experience.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.